JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Couple of days ago I was working an event at a firearms related business. Here's the lay out. I am sitting at a table in front of a store. A handful of people are having a conversation directly in front of me. An older guy approaches the crowd, hellos are exchanged and the old man pulls a pistol out to show one of the other guys. As he pulls it out and handles it, the pistol is pointed directly at me while the old guy, disregarding any known uses for a trigger guard, has his finger on the trigger. I immediately get up and move off to the side of the crowd while a receiving a few "wtf is the problem" glances. He hands the pistol off to another man who immediately drops the magazine and ejects the round that was chambered. Was I over reacting to be a little pissed off? Seeing as I was working for a distributor someone else business would it have been out of line to tell the guy to be a little more cautious? I'm fairly new to actually working in this industry and trying to get a few words of advice as to what would have been an appropriate response other than biting my tongue until it bleeds.

in a perfect world the offending geezer would be walking funny today because he's practicing a new method of concealed carry called "pistolhalfwayupmuhass".

I would have been! I don't believe there is any circumstance in which I could have kept my mouth shut if I saw improper trigger discipline. That's exactly how negligent discharges happen.

If and when you do mention something, be prepared for the offender to invoke the "I've been shooting guns all my life..." defense.

I've read your description a few times and there seems to be a few missing pieces of information. Why would you get a "WTF is the problem" look if you just got up and moved over? Did you say something to indicate you were "pissed off"?

That aside, idiots come in all shapes, sizes, and ages. The old guy with the gun is an idiot but his buddy obviously got it as he unloaded and made clear upon receiving the weapon. I think you should always say something, especially when you're on the receiving end of a loaded gun with an idiot behind the trigger ( I know from experience how things can go from bad to worse in a millisecond). The key is since you were there working for a distributor in someone else's shop whatever you say needs to be in a firm, professional but very polite way. You don't want to lose your life, but you also don't want to lose your job either.

How "upset" would everyone have been had he shot you?
I was at the Centralia show ,standing in line,when a guy starts talking with his hands.......one of which had a rifle in it..... I told him to clear the weapon if he was going to sweep everyone with it.
I couldn't believe I was the only one to complain.

Last Edited:
I would have said something. Odds are it was unintentional, but I'd want someone to yell at me if I did that, in the hopes it would help me be more aware in the future.

yeah, i get muzzle swept, I will put the firearm up the coolie sideways. I know mistakes happen but to me, its excusable. The need to know they Bubblegummed up and remember it.

You should have said something! I doubt you would have lost your job.
These guys need to be told! I've seen it so many times!!!

I've had a .45 cal 245gr slug just nick my right foot from a ND, from a good old boy.. One more inch over and I would be walking funny the rest of my life.

Said something? I would have yelled profanity laced displeasure with his gun handling skills.
This is escalated to a much higher level than a muzzle control issue. Finger on the trigger of a pistol
with a round in the chamber!!!!! OMG I will say something to someone that sweeps there
muzzle at me at the range from a unloaded weapon. If that makes me an a-hole than so be it.
I think we as responsible gun owners need to speak up in such a situation.

I believe there is no such thing as a "Gun Accident" it is the result of carelessness and stupidity.
I had a close friend in the 7th grade that was killed by a 22 rim fire rifle due to careless gun handling.

On a slightly tangential note:

You said he was "older" not "really old" but it is a reminder we all have parents. Just as we someday have the tough job of taking the car keys, we may need to lock up the old man's guns. No government or law can or should deal with it. The loved ones close have to do it.

I don't see the relevance of the age of the guy. I've been muzzle-swept by people in their early twenties.

Definitely take charge and tell them "finger off trigger and muzzle off of me, right now, please."

Then run down the four rules of gun safety.

"I've been shooting since... blah blah blah"

"Yeah well, my mom's been cooking since 1945 and her biscuits are still harder than ceramic plates."

"I've been shooting since... blah blah blah"
Yep nothing worse than having to listen to self-righteous psychobabble from these types - and it's not just 'older' guys who are guilty. Many years ago I was helping a friend move some stuff of his father's into his house - including several guns. Ok - I am handed an old Topper shotgun which I immediately 'break' open to find a live shell in it. My 'friend' (no longer but for other reasons) gets mad at me for mentioning it. Shortly thereafter he DROPS a Colt 1911 in a holster on the floor of his garage - you got it - loaded mag in the grip and one in the pipe. I left right after that.

I would have been FUKIN PIZZED and let him know it.....I don't stand for that sh!t dude, my buddy almost shot me with a .44 mag a few years ago, I had enough sense to step to the side right about the time the trigger was pulled. FUK THAT. This bubblegum seriously pisses me off.......

By the way, for what it's worth you would not have been accidentally killed, you would have been negligently killed.....just sayn.

Your pride is not worth my life.

Depending on my mood I MAY be tactful, but I wouldn't count on it. Get offended, just remember in certain circles pointing a gun at someone is grounds for lethal defense.

I never let it slide. Letting it go is only reinforcing bad behavior, and that bubblegum needs to stop.

I just got mad thinking about it.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top