JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'd like to shoot a practical pistol match (my first). Where would be the closest place to Beaverton that has IDPA or similar matches, without the muzzle over berm rule like at TriCounty?

Thanks in advance.

There is a USPSA match in Dundee 4th Saturday of the month and one at arpc 2nd Saturday of the month registration opens on PractiScore 6pm the Sunday before and they fill up within 5 minutes due to covid restrictions on squad size.

It's a rule that prevents a shooter from orienting their muzzle in a direction where a round could leave the range from an unintended discharge of said firearm.

Tri County Gun Club is surrounded by residential houses and businesses in the cities of Sherwood and Tualatin here in Oregon. Even I-5 is within distance of an errant projectile.

Muzzle over the berm, usually happens with a pistol as a shooter elevates the muzzle of the handgun skyward, while performing a reload. It can happen with rifles too. It is at that point that a round could leave the range if the shooter had an ND.

So in conclusion, follow gun safety rule #2 and always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. This will obviously be environment dependent, but with regards to TCGC and their ranges, pointing your muzzle above the berm/backstop is NOT a safe direction.

The provided photo is an example of an actual action bay at TCGC ( it was pulled from the most recent rulebook).

978C5A47-21E5-4A7E-84EB-158F228FFB06.jpeg

I was speaking of RSO'ing on a club level as opposed to a match RO. With over six thousand members, rule violations can and will happen, even to folks who know better and are competent shooters.

I'll refrain from going down the "safety" rabbit hole on this thread. No need to derail it. :D

It's a rule that prevents a shooter from orienting their muzzle in a direction where a round could leave the range from an unintended discharge of said firearm.

Tri County Gun Club is surrounded by residential houses and businesses in the cities of Sherwood and Tualatin here in Oregon. Even I-5 is within distance of an errant projectile.

Muzzle over the berm, usually happens with a pistol as a shooter elevates the muzzle of the handgun skyward, while performing a reload. It can happen with rifles too. It is at that point that a round could leave the range if the shooter had an ND.

So in conclusion, follow gun safety rule #2 and always keep your gun pointed in a safe direction. This will obviously be environment dependent, but with regards to TCGC and their ranges, pointing your muzzle above the berm/backstop is NOT a safe direction.

The provided photo is an example of an actual action bay at TCGC ( it was pulled from the most recent rulebook).

View attachment 724607

I totally understand why TCGC has the rule, they are in a suburban neighborhood. I am not willing to train myself to do those weird reloads, though, so looking for alternatives.

I've shot maybe 5 or 6 matches at TCGC and taken a few classes there. I don't see the muzzle/berm thing as much of a hindrance. It's their house and their rules. I'm a guest there and am grateful for being allowed to visit. Plus, the people there have been very professional, helpful and welcoming. When I'm not there, I reload normally with gun pointed up in my workspace. I don't see myself developing any training scars from that aspect.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors March Gun Show
Portland, OR
Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews