JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a op to hunt deer on private property

but there are houses in the area, although they are far away far they are still a risk with centerfire . what i understand its legal to hunt with a muzzle loader during general rifle season and i know muzzle loader is not going to have the long range capabilities of a rifle but i am uneducated in muzzle loaders and need to know its maximum range so if i do miss i know how far the ball is going to go

I would also think that smaller loads would make it a less long range concern as well

what are there range compared to a arrow? about the same? more or less?

from what i understand that past 100 yds they start to drop fast.

thanks

Depends on the muzzle loader. Yes, they are more of a "rainbow" trajectory and that needs to considered. Take it to a range and range it. Might want to look at some of the long shots taken during the civil war. You chrony your bullets and then use a ballistic calculator to determine, max hunting range. Some people will use retain energy as a guide.

I hunt occasionally with my .50 cal Plains style rifle it has a green mountain deep groove target barrel on it 34" long. I use a .490 round ball and a .020 canvas patch soaked in Moose Milk (a type of lube) I use 70 grains of IIIf blackpowder. I would have no problem aiming directly at a deer standing at 100 yards and being able to hit it's heart (should it be standing in a way that would allow that) And I have no doubt said deer would go down as if hit by a 30-30 or similar cartridge.

this would be a 180 grain slug with a muzzle velocity of approx 1725 fps and 1188 ft lbs of energy.

I would say that standing aiming pretty close to level you should worry about a hunting load from a muzzleloader being able to hit something 300 yards away. With little effort or added angle of attack.

Maximum range is not something 'established' with a ML rifle but rule of thumb is typically set at 100 yards but there are several elements that affect an 'effective' 100 yard shot. Caliber, projectile, powder charge and type of powder used are the basics. Muzzleloading is a sport that takes some time, practice and experimentation to establish 'your' maximum effective range with consistent accuracy. Since you are uneducated with muzzeloading I'll second the previous advice of the shotgun with 2/0 or slugs. Less practice time will be needed to become familiar with the shotgun and the load you will be using.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top