JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I am relatively new to rifles and want to get tools that work well. I have been looking at a rifle vise that appears to be a great buy. Most rifle vises have too many plastic parts. The vise pictured below is only $58 on Amazon, and mostly metal, with good reviews. I have two scopes to mount: a cheap Simmons for my .22 and a Leupold for my Weatherby 6.5 creedmoor. The .22 is a Ruger 10-22 and the Weatherby Vanguard is a bolt-action. I may be taking on more than I want, but I thought I would give it a try. I am going to buy a Wheeler torque wrench, some locktite, and I have the Talley rings for the 6.5. The Simmons comes with rings, and I already have a picatinny rail for mounting. The vise below has a level. Is there anything else I need?

612stRBTI-L._SL1500_.jpg

Last Edited:
Would you mind posting a link to that rifle rest? I'd be interested in checking it out.

Thank you.

Thank you to all three of you. :D

I think I'm gonna order one for mounting optics and such. :)

Oh and @G8rHunter regarding your question...It seems to me you are pretty well covered there. Did you buy a quality cleaning kit and maybe a boresnake for each caliber?

A torque screwdriver (wrench) that measures in inch pounds.
For scope ring screws and action screws.

A good, one piece cleaning rod (and tip kit) like a Dewey.
And probably a bore guide.

A good bore cleaning product.
Boretech Eliminator is popular in the other thread.
Perhaps Eezox CLP (won the 11 month outdoor test) for the final wipe down.

Scope ring lapping kit.
Some say not needed, but I may try one next time.

Non-cheapo screwdrivers....the good ones are called hollow-ground gunsmith screwdrivers.
You can tell a lot about a man by the type of screwdriver he uses on his guns.
I've had this set since forever and it's been great.
https://www.amazon.com/Forster-8-Piece-Gunsmith-Screwdriver-Set/dp/B003F6FKBA
The sets you will see are mostly are the removable tip variety and they're OK, BUT there are times when you need a slim shank and that's where the old school Bonanza set shines !
The removable tip variety sometimes is too thick and can't reach or get past an obstacle like a conventional.

Last Edited:
A good small spirit level for mounting scopes is a must have. Dont forget, only use Blue lock tite, not red. Its also a good idea to have a small can of grease and some never seize when servicing your weapons. Lots of good "Shop rags" ether cloth or disposable amd a can of denatured alcohol.

A torque screwdriver (wrench) that measures in inch pounds.
For scope ring screws and action screws.

A good, one piece cleaning rod (and tip kit) like a Dewey.
And probably a bore guide.

A good bore cleaning product.
Boretech Eliminator is popular in the other thread.
Perhaps Eezox CLP (won the 11 month outdoor test) for the final wipe down.

Scope ring lapping kit.
Some say not needed, but I may try one next time.

Non-cheapo screwdrivers....the good ones are called hollow-ground gunsmith screwdrivers.
You can tell a lot about a man by the type of screwdriver he uses on his guns.
I've had this set since forever and it's been great.
https://www.amazon.com/Forster-8-Piece-Gunsmith-Screwdriver-Set/dp/B003F6FKBA
The sets you will see are mostly are the removable tip variety and they're OK, BUT there are times when you need a slim shank and that's where the old school Bonanza set shines !
The removable tip variety sometimes is too thick and can't reach or get past an obstacle like a conventional.

Pretty much this^^

Bore guide
Dewey Rods Abs-2 Bore Saver Adj Rod Guide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AU8HWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kQX9Cb2YXPD5Y

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top