Must Have Rifle Tools

Reactions
I am relatively new to rifles and want to get tools that work well. I have been looking at a rifle vise that appears to be a great buy. Most rifle vises have too many plastic parts. The vise pictured below is only $58 on Amazon, and mostly metal, with good reviews. I have two scopes to mount: a cheap Simmons for my .22 and a Leupold for my Weatherby 6.5 creedmoor. The .22 is a Ruger 10-22 and the Weatherby Vanguard is a bolt-action. I may be taking on more than I want, but I thought I would give it a try. I am going to buy a Wheeler torque wrench, some locktite, and I have the Talley rings for the 6.5. The Simmons comes with rings, and I already have a picatinny rail for mounting. The vise below has a level. Is there anything else I need?

612stRBTI-L._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Oh and @G8rHunter regarding your question...It seems to me you are pretty well covered there. Did you buy a quality cleaning kit and maybe a boresnake for each caliber?

Reactions
A torque screwdriver (wrench) that measures in inch pounds.
For scope ring screws and action screws.

A good, one piece cleaning rod (and tip kit) like a Dewey.
And probably a bore guide.

A good bore cleaning product.
Boretech Eliminator is popular in the other thread.
Perhaps Eezox CLP (won the 11 month outdoor test) for the final wipe down.

Scope ring lapping kit.
Some say not needed, but I may try one next time.

Non-cheapo screwdrivers....the good ones are called hollow-ground gunsmith screwdrivers.
You can tell a lot about a man by the type of screwdriver he uses on his guns.
I've had this set since forever and it's been great.
https://www.amazon.com/Forster-8-Piece-Gunsmith-Screwdriver-Set/dp/B003F6FKBA
The sets you will see are mostly are the removable tip variety and they're OK, BUT there are times when you need a slim shank and that's where the old school Bonanza set shines !
The removable tip variety sometimes is too thick and can't reach or get past an obstacle like a conventional.

Last edited:

Joe13

Reactions
A torque screwdriver (wrench) that measures in inch pounds.
For scope ring screws and action screws.

A good, one piece cleaning rod (and tip kit) like a Dewey.
And probably a bore guide.

A good bore cleaning product.
Boretech Eliminator is popular in the other thread.
Perhaps Eezox CLP (won the 11 month outdoor test) for the final wipe down.

Scope ring lapping kit.
Some say not needed, but I may try one next time.

Non-cheapo screwdrivers....the good ones are called hollow-ground gunsmith screwdrivers.
You can tell a lot about a man by the type of screwdriver he uses on his guns.
I've had this set since forever and it's been great.
https://www.amazon.com/Forster-8-Piece-Gunsmith-Screwdriver-Set/dp/B003F6FKBA
The sets you will see are mostly are the removable tip variety and they're OK, BUT there are times when you need a slim shank and that's where the old school Bonanza set shines !
The removable tip variety sometimes is too thick and can't reach or get past an obstacle like a conventional.
Pretty much this^^

Bore guide
Dewey Rods Abs-2 Bore Saver Adj Rod Guide https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000AU8HWS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_kQX9Cb2YXPD5Y

Reactions

UPCOMING EVENTS

Lead Farm Precision Rifle Match
The Lead Farm
34006 Gwinn Rd, Prosser, WA 99350, USA
Arms Collectors of SW Washington Gun Show
Battleground Community Center
912 E Main St, Battle Ground, WA 98604, USA
Rimfire Challenge Dec 12th @ DRRC
Douglas Ridge Rifle Club
27787 OR-224, Eagle Creek, OR 97022, USA
Albany Rifle & Pistol Club (ARPC) Gun Show
Linn County Expo Center
3700 Knox Butte Rd E, Albany, OR 97322, USA

LATEST RESOURCE REVIEWS

• Sportsman's Warehouse - Albany
    5.00 star(s)
    Good products at good prices with friendly and knowledgeable staff!
    We like to visit the Albany location as it's closer but have been to several others and they have all been great!:D
  • Umpqua Survival
    4.00 star(s)
    Easy NFA transfer
    I had a silencer transferred through their shop. The paperwork was quick and the staff helpful and friendly. Whilst waiting, I did see a nice...
  • MK Tactical
    5.00 star(s)
    Awesome staff
    Being new to the area and having just made an online purchase of an AR lower, I opted to use MK Tactical as my FFL, without knowing anything about...
  • J&B Firearm Sales
    5.00 star(s)
    Good local shop
    Picked up a rifle yesterday from J&B. This was the second or third gun purchase over the last few years from them. I always enjoy stopping by...
  • H&K Gun Shop
    5.00 star(s)
    The only place I have found 9mm in stock
    I’ll admit I didn’t even know this place existed, as I don’t tend to go into Forest Grove often. But it’s a giant (looks bigger from the...
Top Bottom