JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm sure there's lots of talented people here - what do you play? I picked up the trumpet when in the 6th grade and played all through high school in the orchestral band (1st chair) and the stage band (2nd chair). Loved stage band, mostly played jazz but also some Big Band music. Traveled to many contests in and out of the state - we were damn good! Anyone who plays in a band knows that feeling you get when everyone is playing tight and hitting their marks - awesome. I still pick it up occasionally but the lip isn't what it used to be!

I played alto saxaphone and baritone saxaphone from 6th grade all through high school and also played in stage band as well. I was forced to play piano at a young age but now play piano and percussion for a church worship team.

I have played in bands since I was just out of high school. I started playing guitar and after 12-15 years I transitioned on to drums. Still play both as often as I can and try to get together with my old band mates every now and then. It's true, there is something magical about playing with other musicians and everybody meshing and rocking ;-). I miss it very much and never realized until recently how large a role it played in keeping me sane--mostly by allowing me to blow off steam--we played mostly hard rock/metal. It also allows you to completely take your mind off of your daily struggles/worries, which can be quite therapeutic.

In the order I learned (I don't play most of them any more):

1. Cornet in 4th grade (wanted to do trombone but arms weren't long enough).
2. Some guitar in the same vicinity.
3. Trombone in 7th grade (my arms could finally reach 7th position).
4. Baritone in 9th grade (they needed another for the 1812 Overture so I volunteered).
5. Sousaphone in 9th or 10th grade (they needed one for pep band for basketball season).
6. More guitar
7. Electric Bass in 12th grade (for Jazz Band).
8. Double Bass with bow in 12th grade (for Orchestra. Didn't last long there as I just couldn't finger like they wanted - always used my third finger and not fourth)
9. Tenor Sax in junior college (they had one I could use so I just wanted to learn).
10. Piano in junior college (needed it as I was a music major - but ear training got me so I went to a different major)
11. Bought a flute a couple of years ago to try to learn but didn't get very far.
12. Forgot to add - Drum set (did for a couple of years as our church needed a replacement every once in a while but haven't played for a few years).

Still play guitar and bass for church. But none of the others.

Last Edited:
Mom forced me to take piano starting at 4 and I hated it. Now? It's my favorite instrument to play. Also self-taught on drums and guitar. Currently I switch back and forth playing drums and singing/guitar for church.

I'm also known to be a fantastic spoons player, but now I'm just bragging.

Another Sax player. Bari through HS (even marched with the darn thing). I have an alto that I play at church. Nothing cooler than playing live with group of true musicians.

Play flute for the most part now. My wife and I are in the Battleground Comm. Band.
I went to Mtn. View High School during the Tim Siess era... Got pretty good at Flute during that. I picked up French Horn senior year.
I played Melaphone for marching band, that was fun! Here, play this horn and walk around a football field in step with every body else....
Played flute for all the Clark bands for two years. Got to go to Mexico one year with them. That was good times! Also where I met my wife.
I picked up flute cause thats what all the hot girls played. Figure I could be the only guy in the section... The only thing was all the way through high school I dated clarinet players.
I did get married to a flute player, so I guess it was worth it.

Had drums in the family basement before I could remember. Because of my folks, I was into Big Bill Broonzy before the Beatles or Mitch Ryder & the Detroit Wheels appeared on Ed Sullivan and changed my life too.

As a child and pre-teen I took piano, trumpet, french horn and bagpipes (just the chanter portion without ever graduating to the challenge of an airbag under the arm and 3 drones over the shoulder).

The pipes required too much serious practice (and reading dots on paper), so I switched to tenor drum with those twirling numchuck-like "sticks." My Scottish pipe and drum band practiced weekly at a school in Cedar Hills and some curious teen girls hung out to watch, leading to my first full-court scrimmage at tonsil hockey.

Endeavoring to fast-track that intriguing trend (hey, I was 13), I dropped the more traditional instruments, got an electric guitar and a big*ss tube amp, learned some Jimi/Jimmy and found some other longhairs.

Among a number of Portland joints, my cover band fluked into playing at the Paramount Northwest in 1976 for maybe 200 people who all knew us. It was the big stage where I'd seen Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, Thin Lizzy, Blue Oyster Cult, Jo Jo Gunne, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Frank Zappa, Ronnie Montrose, etc. Coincidentally, my bass player had been a piper in the Scottish band (small world). We were quite awful but made up for it with stunning volume.

Always had a good non-musical day job/career going, so evenings I would switch from coffee to beer and jam with a series of performing garage bands around here and San Diego over the next 4 decades. Now I have severe tinnitus and hearing loss so I've scaled back to an acoustic guitar duo to go get nervous at the occasional open mike night. It's still a rush after all this time.

No regrets, because that would fix nothing. Music is joy and passion and I wouldn't trade a moment of it. But if you know any youngsters who need to hear it from an old fart, send them my way. Protect your hearing!!!

My Scottish pipe and drum band practiced weekly at a school in Cedar Hills and some curious teen girls hung out to watch, leading to my first full-court scrimmage at tonsil hockey.

I have always found music good at bringing two people together like that!!
All but one of my g.f's in school were in the band. The other was a theater nerd such as myself. Thats a whole nother box of worms them theater girls...

My thread! ;)
Make my living as a bass player. All styles but I tour often with pop groups as well as jazz trios. Portland based.
I also teach at PSU.

Damianerskine.com if you're curious. New-ish to this forum. Dig it!

Been playin the electric guitar since I was in short pants LOL... have made my living at it from time to time. Free guitar lessons and vintage amp demos on Youtube, just type in Phoenix Michaels and my channel will come up.
Take care

I have always found music good at bringing two people together like that!!
All but one of my g.f's in school were in the band. The other was a theater nerd such as myself. Thats a whole nother box of worms them theater girls...

Ah yes, theater girls... Hey wait, doesn't this belong in that other thread, the one about thesbians?

I played the sax when I was in school but haven't played in a long time. Recently I started teaching myself the guitar. It been a slow go but I spend a little time every day after work. It's a good way to clear the head.

My thread! ;)
Make my living as a bass player. All styles but I tour often with pop groups as well as jazz trios. Portland based.
I also teach at PSU.

Damianerskine.com if you're curious. New-ish to this forum. Dig it!

I'm a "retired" former bass player with 0 formal training and a physical playing style that once made my friend ask "why don't you turn it up a bit?", to which I responded "I'm not plugged in...". Every now and then I think about picking it up, realise I am too difficult to play with others in a band, plus I don't want the commitment as I have a job that keeps me up at these hours, wife & a little kid plus this new shooting thing going on. :)

But kudos for being able to live off music, especially if you enjoy doing it!

Been stretching the strings for around 35 years or so. Still have a 53 ES deluxe Gibson, a 58 fender jazz master, a 76 Les Paul, a late vintage American made strat and a couple of 12 strings.
I don't play as much as I used to, but there's blood on the pick guard of the strat from a good working over she gave me last night. I had smashed my the three fingers of my pick hand (yes my damned trigger finger!) on Saturday and just felt the need to play, go figure.

guitar, some five string banjo, tenor banjo a tad, fiddle, mandolin, flute, penny whistle....can play around on the sax (same fingering as the flute, really)....

Ross, I notice that you listed fiddle and mandolin together, and I think I know why. My dad was a talented "violinist," then a "fiddler" after he retired and started wearing coveralls more and more. He was 80 or so when I found an old mandolin, brought it to Portland and tuned it up before I wrapped it. He opened it on Christmas, picked up the first mandolin he'd ever touched - and jammed.

Ross, I notice that you listed fiddle and mandolin together, and I think I know why.

You got it. same thing (well, the left hand is, anyway). My son (classically trained violinist) just got gifted a mando from my brother....my brother was stunned at how my son just picked it up and went with it. Same strings...G,D, A and E....good stuff. I'm working on learning swing tunes right now, "In the Mood" and "My Blue Heaven" are the latest. Got "Chattanoga Choo Choo" memorized, but don't really "own" it yet...

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top