JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Yikes, you're braver than me as there are deadly mushrooms that look 'almost/exactly' like their edible cousins.

And, no I haven't a clue about such, but Abe's books sells lot of used books for way less than new with free shipping - you could try there.

1574274553699.png

Can anyone recommend a good book on edible mushroom ID?

Thanks!

I have a bunch. The one I take into the field and have at hand, (On the desk in reach right now!), is "The Audubon Society Field Guide to north American Mushrooms".

I like that it shows mushrooms from all over the country and not just in the northwest. Perspective.

Yikes, you're braver than me as there are deadly mushrooms that look 'almost/exactly' like their edible cousins.

And, no I haven't a clue about such, but Abe's books sells lot of used books for way less than new with free shipping - you could try there.

Yes. We are incredibly brave.;)

Last Edited:
Stick to the common varieties and you should have no troubles. Morel, chanterelle, calf brains, cauliflower, and snow mushroom. Outside of morel and chanterelle look-alikes their shouldn't be much problem:

Two highly desirable and popular edible mushrooms also have toxic look-alikes, Cotter said. "Morel mushrooms (Morchella species) can be confused with the toxic false morels (Gyromitra, Helvella and Verpa species) and chanterelle mushrooms (Cantharellus species) can be mistaken for jack-o'-lantern mushrooms (Omphalotus olearius)."

But if you're wanting to get into the more exotic/rare finds then yeah, a book for sure.

Last Edited:
I started foraging fungus way back. Dad was into fungus, and we spent a good amount of time riding forest trails on our Honda 90 and 55 before i was old enough to drive. There wasn't much to find in Utah. But we looked at whatever we could find. We found a "Giant Puffball" once growing in the middle of a dirt road way up in the mountains east of the Salt Lake valley. Dad had some places where he'd go and gather shelf mushroom in large enough quantity to process in mason jars.

I've tried a bunch over the years. A lot of them are not worth the effort. Or you only find one or two. Mainly all we gather are Chanterelles and some Boletes. I've only try mushrooms that come from a variety that has no close poisonous lookalikes and the variety's well known as safe to eat. Keep in mind that even wild fungus that is listed as safe MAY have a bad effect on some people. There are very few mushrooms out there that will kill you. Reactions from poisonous mushroom would more often than not, maybe, make you wish you were dead for a day or three. Still, there's a process that should be followed when trying a wild mushroom for the first time.

Stick to the common varieties and you should have no troubles. Morel, chanterelle, calf brains, cauliflower, and snow mushroom. Outside of morel and chanterelle look-alikes their should be much problem:

Two highly desirable and popular edible mushrooms also have toxic look-alikes, Cotter said. "Morel mushrooms (Morchella species) can be confused with the toxic false morels (Gyromitra, Helvella and Verpa species) and chanterelle mushrooms (Cantharellus species) can be mistaken for jack-o'-lantern mushrooms (Omphalotus olearius)."

But if you're wanting to get into the more exotic/rare finds then yeah, a book for sure.

Morels, my BANE! You'd have to be blind, to confuse a false morel with an real morel. All I can ever find are the false morels. :(

Stick to the common varieties and you should have no troubles. Morel, chanterelle, calf brains, cauliflower, and snow mushroom. Outside of morel and chanterelle look-alikes their shouldn't be much problem:

^^^This

One of the best places to find the trippy mushrooms is in NW OR.
go go to a drug dealer when you can go for a hike.
to a different dimension.
But supposedly the LEOs know about it and stake this certain place out quite aggressively

There are a couple of good groups on Facepalm that have good photos and they are timely and right here in the pnw. A lot of knowledge out there.

Cauliflower mushrooms... I love the taste of hydrazine in my omelette!!!

Most of the sillypsybin I've come across was in Calif from dealers. Always wondered where they got it from...

P. Cubensis
can be grown at home on media that has been impregnated with the spores. You can order them online.
A. Muscaria grows all over the wet part of the region.
P. semilanceata is common all over the wet part of the pnw.

Last Edited:
We picked chanterelles in a fine field out of Ripplebrook in the Cascade foot hills for over 25 years, Good fields unknown to the profiteers selling them so are hard to come by. Then they logged it clear!:mad: I miss it dearly.
Oyster shrooms grow large and plenty from the dead alder on the south side of cape lookout off the trail that lead to the scout camps and Marine Gardens when you are young enough to handle the steep slick terrain.
Though no flavor but good to soak up butter are Puff balls, and are as large as cantaloupes up near bully creek SW of vale Oregon in the warming wet spring you could pick a wheelbarrow in minutes. King Boletus and another Boletus, I cant remember the name, (maybe edulus) near, but not in, the swamps near Florence, Siltcoos I beleive.

I highly recommend you find a group, club, or experienced person to tag along with in areas your interested in foraging. Many hold a seminar of some sort for free each year and usually worth every dime if not.

Important book info to look for:
Included information within each book you select must exactly define habitat, cap shape, gill attachment, Spore color, of the mushroom being described.
The first three, Habitat, gill attachment and cap shape matching will usually identify most, fairly readily. General morphology is helpful too but I recall many books (long ago) breeze over this or not at all opting for color plates. (pre pictures) these areas of identification are called 'Keys" gathered from years of mycology research and observation which will zero in on the type in hand, failure of matching any of the "Key" points should be reason to suspect the schroom.

Do not eat any mushroom matching a photo or color plate from a book without prior knowledge or experience. You wont always die from a poisonous mushroom, some will leave you wishing you had.

Some folks believe that the Alice in wonderland story was inspired by a psychadelic "trip."

Carroll used belladonna and had epilepsy. Belladonna can trip a person out pretty good.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top