JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
upload_2018-11-13_19-49-54.jpeg

No pictures this time , but a "War Story"...

So there I was walking down into a village , in Bosnia that had been hit by mortar fire...We were in the process of getting the folks evaced to the refugee camp.
When I came across a little boy 'bout 8 maybe 10 years old...He was sitting in front of what was left of his house....His village , as I mentioned had been hit by mortar fire...It was also "ethnically cleansed"...Which after you have actually seen it and its after effects , is no longer a pat phrase to be used lightly...every woman that he knew was raped and every man above the age of 15 was murdered...all probably in front of him...

As I said we needed to get these people to a refugee camp...but every time we tried to move this boy , he just screamed...no tears , no crying , just a soul bursting , heart breaking scream....

Not knowing what else to do... I sat down next to him....took off my helmet and reached into my "butt pack"...pulling out a can of peaches....He was watching me do this and was intrigued by my P-38 on my dog tag chain , opening said can of peaches...
I hammed it up a bit and said : "Wink a Wink" as I worked the P-38 to open the can....
He grinned a little...
I then got a MRE spoon and ate a peach or two...I then handed the can with the spoon to him...
With one hand he took the can , with the other he reached for my P-38 ....I gave him all three...
With what was the world's most beautiful smile he ate the peaches....

I would have never thought that a can of peaches made in small town USA and a P-38 from Shelby Ohio , would bring so much joy to someone....
That is just one reason why I love America.
Andy

Andy thank you for sharing. I appreciate what guys like you and @Stomper did for this great country. I would like to buy you a beer some day soon my friend.

So there I was walking down into a village , in Bosnia that had been hit by mortar fire...We were in the process of getting the folks evaced to the refugee camp.
When I came across a little boy 'bout 8 maybe 10 years old...He was sitting in front of what was left of his house....His village , as I mentioned had been hit by mortar fire...It was also "ethnically cleansed"...Which after you have actually seen it and its after effects , is no longer a pat phrase to be used lightly...every woman that he knew was raped and every man above the age of 15 was murdered...all probably in front of him...

As I said we needed to get these people to a refugee camp...but every time we tried to move this boy , he just screamed...no tears , no crying , just a soul bursting , heart breaking scream....

Not knowing what else to do... I sat down next to him....took off my helmet and reached into my "butt pack"...pulling out a can of peaches....He was watching me do this and was intrigued by my P-38 on my dog tag chain , opening said can of peaches...
I hammed it up a bit and said : "Wink a Wink" as I worked the P-38 to open the can....
He grinned a little...
I then got a MRE spoon and ate a peach or two...I then handed the can with the spoon to him...
With one hand he took the can , with the other he reached for my P-38 ....I gave him all three...

I would have never thought that a can of peaches made in small town USA and a P-38 from Shelby Ohio , would bring so much joy to someone....
Andy

Back in '88 I was in East Berlin in full Class-A's (required to go through Check-Point Charlie into the Soviet sector), and I with a tour group of other GI's were going through a memorial museum of WWII victims of the concentration camps... bowls of ashes, human bones, gold teeth, personal artifacts, photos, etc.... it was heart breaking.

On our way out the exit door I observed a lone young East German soldier who was sitting on a stool to the left of the door handing out museum pamphlets to anyone who wanted them. Needless to say most of the GI's were "hostile" to the young soldier.

This struck me as wrong, so I hung back until everyone had filed out, I walked up to him and extended my hand.... he stood straight up at attention and shook my hand firmly, I then took off my original Air Assault wings and gave them to that young soldier.... he and the two old Babushkas (standing nearby) were absolutely flabbergasted. I then walked out without looking back.

The Berlin Wall came down about 2yrs later.... I take full credit for that. ;)

Last Edited:
Battle_Flag.jpg

("I am naturally anti-slavery. If slavery is not wrong, nothing is wrong." — Abraham Lincoln, April 4, 1864.)

DWhh4t1VQAAI3TP.jpg

(As the forces of tyranny goose-stepped across the globe, 1942 was a dark year for the world, but there was still light from American shores.)

photo-1446941303752-a64bb1048d54?ixlib=rb-0.3.jpg

(Less than 200 years from our founding, Americans walk on the moon. Because, well, freedom works.)

He grinned a little...

Andy

Thank You for sharing, I have a SKS that was used in Bosnia. After reading your story never going to look at that rifle the same.
Truly inspiring.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top