JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So, I work at a local firearms shop and we had a customer who resides in Multnomah County inquire about the NFA procedures with Sheriff. I know how Washington County does things, but not Multnomah. I put in a call and they returned it after a week with some startling info.

They charge a $35 administration fee so they can run a "local background check" on you and have someone "review your paperwork."

...So, they are basically extorting $35 from you to give you sign off.

When I informed her Washington County doesn't charge anything for a signature she didn't really care. Happy I live in Washington County rather than East Berlin, I mean Multnomah.

No offense intended to you Portlanders, but the more I read about Multnomah County and the attitude towards firearms, the less I am inclined to ever go back to the Weird City. It just gets worse, and worse.

At least Multnomah is signing the paperwork. There are some states where sheriffs refuse to sign off at all. Or worse, in the PRK we are not worthy enough to own NFA items.
"At least" is a horrible excuse when discussing the criminal abuse of power given to a government authority. Hopefully someone from Multnomah convinces OFF to take this to court. There is no reason for a "local background check" when you are sending it in to BATFE for the exact same thing, but on a much more in depth scale.

"At least" is a horrible excuse when discussing the criminal abuse of power given to a government authority. Hopefully someone from Multnomah convinces OFF to take this to court. There is no reason for a "local background check" when you are sending it in to BATFE for the exact same thing, but on a much more in depth scale.

Exactly. Just because someone else gets it without lube doesn't make it ok for me to get it with lube. So to speak.

I'm not excusing their behavior or justifying it in any way. I am merely pointing out a fact.

As everyone knows the signature is stating there are no local laws prohibiting the firearm being registered, NOT A PERMISSION SLIP. You can politely remind the SD of that fact and also remind them that you are being courteous and don't need the signature to secure your firearms and refuse to pay for a local background check which the FBI is going to do anyway.

I like that idea but it wouldn't fly in some of the bigger counties; they'd probably refuse a signature altogether. I'm sure OFF could bring up that point in court though

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top