JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey all,

I have not seen this posted yet but thought I would share the letter I sent to the commissioners;
:s0155: I am not the most eloquent but I think it needs to be communicated how we feel!

Mrs. Kafoury;

I would like to take a moment to discuss your proposed draft on gun restrictions in Multnomah County from a legal gun owning citizens point of view. First and foremost the title stating "to prevent gun violence and address illegal gun use" really has no meaning in that you are only going to affect those citizens that follow the law in the first place. Common sense dictates that those individuals that do not follow the law (criminals) will continue to use legal or illegal firearms in any way that they see fit. By attempting to restrict any citizens ability under both the constitution of the state of Oregon and the US constitution you are in no way making an effective approach to work on the core of the problem.

By stating that you are attempting to limit "assault rifles" (which is a misnomer in that functionally they are no different than your normal everyday semi-automatic rifle) you are using scare tactics on those citizens that do not know the difference. Universal background checks are already required at gun dealers and gun shows, requiring private sales to do this will only complicate matters and is not any of your business as to what I legally am able to buy and sell privately. And as far as regulating the concealed weapons in private places, this is already a law and properly concealed carrying citizens are exempt as we have already passed our background checks and have been signed off by our local Sheriffs office, and who better to protect our children than the parents of those children. I would volunteer my time if possible as security at my daughters school if it meant that a further level of protection was in place for our most valuable assets. If it is good enough for you and other public officials than it should be good enough for our children.

"Oregon law preempts local jurisdictions authority". That is correct and you should be following Oregon law and not wasting taxpayer monies on these useless restrictions which the criminals will not follow anyway!

If this draft were to go forward and be enacted but other cities within Multnomah County have different ordinances or follow state law than it creates a huge burden on the individual citizen to be knowledgeable on each and every cities specific "rules". Once again the criminal will not care or follow these rules.

When you state that the "proliferation of firearms poses a present and serious threat to the health, safety and security of the residents" do you mean the illegal firearms or are you targeting the legal citizens firearms. You do not make a clear distinction as to your intentions on this statement. If you really look at the statistics there are far more lives saved by a firearm than those lost by a firearm, please do the proper research.

In item H you state that poisoning and motor vehicle accidents pose a greater threat to lives than firearms per your statistics. Are you then going to propose greater restrictions on the citizens you serve greater than what state law allows in these areas? And if so I would very much like to hear these proposals as well.

In conclusion I would hope that you can see that this type of "regulation" on the law abiding citizen will have a net zero effect on the criminal who will not abide by your "rules" of society. I will be sharing this information with local and state representatives for input and action to defeat your draft proposal in any and every way I can. If you continue to work towards these types of ridiculous efforts I will also put forth great effort to have you removed as a representative of the people in any way possible. We are still a nation that with great effort and resolve can defeat any enemy of the republic and the constitution which founded our nation.

I was not able to add the proposed draft letter due to file size restrictions. But if you go to the OFF website it is there...

The way I read this at 15.064 is even CHL holders will not be able to possess loaded firearms in public places.

You would be wrong then.

166.173 Authority of city or county to regulate possession of loaded firearms in public places. (1) A city or county may adopt ordinances to regulate, restrict or prohibit the possession of loaded firearms in public places as defined in ORS 161.015.
(2) Ordinances adopted under subsection (1) of this section do not apply to or affect:
(a) A law enforcement officer in the performance of official duty.
(b) A member of the military in the performance of official duty.
(c) A person licensed to carry a concealed handgun.
(d) A person authorized to possess a loaded firearm while in or on a public building or court facility under ORS 166.370.
(e) An employee of the United States Department of Agriculture, acting within the scope of employment, who possesses a loaded firearm in the course of the lawful taking of wildlife. [1995 s.s. c.1 §4; 1999 c.782 §8; 2009 c.556 §3]

And you can see by the wording that she thinks that they should be able to be like Chicago and cities and counties should be able to enact whatever laws they want when it comes to firearms. And I'd like to know where in the world she got these supposed statistics.

What a load of crap. Nice they feel we should get rid of preemption too.

This sounds a lot like Seattle and King County up in WA. Passing laws that are probably preempted while complaining about not having enough latitude.

they haven't thought about the money they will lose since no one will get a ccw license. criminals don't need a ccw license and they keep theirs loaded.

Oh come on guys we all know this is just common sense. As soon as this great ordinance is passed all gang bangers in Multnomah will stop carrying loaded guns. I mean look how well it has worked in Portland.

There is no bounds to which the stupidity of people can rise. They do not use logic and actual data. It is all emotionally driven. The resolution I read when it was first drafted states that they will continue to fight for the right to let municipalities and counties create their own gun legislation - do away with Preemption. What is with politicians these days? They all seem to have their IQ dropped to below a marshmallow's.

They can enact whatever ordinance they want, I'll ignore it and continue carrying in their county considering I'm not breaking any REAL laws.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top