JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I renewed my Oregon CHL through the Multnomah Co sheriff office (MCSO) and received my receipt which is valid for 45 days. Here is what the stamp on my receipt says: "This stamp grants a 45 day temporary MCSO Concealed Handgun License. You are allowed to carry your weapon concealed with this receipt until you have received your actual card which could take up to 45 days unless you are notified that you were denied or revoked." I don't know who told you that you could not conceal carry until your new card is in your possession. That does not match the wording on the receipt. Check your receipt...BTW, I have renewed my Oregon CHL several times over the years and it has always gone smoothly with no hitches. I am a Washington state resident.
Kenjo, Now I think that the sherrif's sub-station I went to has their OWN agenda! The receipt I got was not a form and probably was drafted by someone in the office? It does not state anywhere on it that it is my "temporary" CC license. My last renewal was just as you have described. It WAS a reciept and also permission to continue to carry uninterrupted! Either the sub-station at 4735 E. Burnside is doing their own thing in spite of procedure or perhaps something has changed due to a new edict by a new batch of Libtard county comissioners??? The only thing I did different this time was to go to a sheriffs office a little closer to me. Maybe the rules have changed if your license is expired? Who knows, maybe my looks had something to do with it although I didn't make a face like in my picture! I am basically a positive, fun-loving guy until .gov over-reach rears it's ugly head!
P.S, I sat in my car stewing about what had just occurred a little too long. I tried to go back in and challenge/question their mandate but door was locked at 4PM on the dot!
I'm STILL pissed about the whole thing (and TERRIBLE anti-gun legislation currently introduced that could be enacted)! Cheaper land (with really plentiful big game) in Northern Idaho has got me dreaming of moving but wife frowns on that idea.

Last Edited:
The only thing I did different this time was to go to a sheriffs office a little closer to me. Maybe the rules have changed if your license is expired?
Was your CHL expired? My current one is good until the end of February and the clerk told me the new license should be sent before the old expired. Maybe there is a different rule for expired rather than unexpired renewals. This was done at the E. Burnside location, BTW.

Yes, it was expired. I put a tickler alarm in the calendar of my cell phone as a reminder before the next expiration comes around. If I read you correctly then logic says the background check only comes into play the first time a permit is issued or renewing a expired permit?Question: if you renew before the old one expires let's say a month ahead of time is the new expire date moved up a month or does it stay with the existing expire date? If by renewing early a person gets cheated out of a month that would suck. This whole business of requiring a permit with background check for conceal carry assumes a person is guilty until proven innocent and every future 4 year increment, prove it again! It just flies in the face of: "the right to keep AND BEAR arms"! Also, can someone set me straight here regarding where did the new practice of background checks every renewal come from, State law change or just Mult. County mandate? I know I'm not the first to say this but the whole getting permission to carry concealed is over-reach anyway! Background check at time a gun is purchased should be all they need and the practice of logging the serial number during transaction is nothing but back door gun registration anyway! All these BS progressive restrictions accumulate like lead weight heaped on my body, probably because @71 years old I have lived long enough to remember the freedoms of gun ownership in the past! Again, sorry for the rant. It's partially because I feel compelled to go see what others have said when they respond to my comments. For me this whole discussion re: anti-gun restrictions is it's like a wound that never heals.

Here's a video I recently viewed regarding a short history lesson on why the 2nd amendment was written in the first place. To me the presentation seemed a little condescending but it was made for the anti-gun crowd. it may be redundant for those who are well informed gun owners, it lays out some things I didn't know regarding the history that influenced the authors in writing the amendment in the first place and makes in abundantly clear what the authors meant by what they drafted!

I always get my OR CHL in Columbia County, maybe because I love the name "Scapoose" which I get to drive through on my way to St Helens :)

In any event, it takes time for the police departments to process CHLs, I don't know why, but it just does.

All plans should include lead time, pencil it in, good to go.

FWIW, I had my AZ permit in hand first, then my UT. My OR permit came dead last. Thanks Multnomah county. :mad:

CHL class, documents mailed in: 6/1/2018
MCSO emails with appointment two weeks later (6/16/2018) - scheduled for one month out: 7/22/2018.

After said appointment - with a condescending reminder from the clerk - not to carry without my card, and a stamp on the receipt saying the same - it arrived on 9/10/018. That's about three months from when I mailed the CHL documents to the sheriff. Disgraceful.

Last Edited:
My understanding is Oregon sheriffs have 60 days from the appointment to deliver a CHL. If that's accurate it sounds like you received your's well within the 60 day turnaround requirement, 7/22/18 - 9/1/18. I don't think they have to care about any other deadlines.

My renewal in Columbia County took exactly 59 days from the appointment.

My understanding is Oregon sheriffs have 60 days from the appointment to deliver a CHL. If that's accurate it sounds like you received your's well within the 60 day turnaround requirement, 7/22/18 - 9/1/18. I don't think they have to care about any other deadlines.

My renewal in Columbia County took exactly 59 days from the appointment.

I guess my point is that the OR permit came dead last. Not to mention other counties issuing the permit on site, or at least an interim. Multnomah does neither and drags it out real good.

FWIW, I had my AZ permit in hand first, then my UT. My OR permit came dead last. Thanks Multnomah county. :mad:

CHL class, documents mailed in: 6/1/2018
MCSO emails with appointment two weeks later (6/16/2018) - scheduled for one month out: 7/22/2018.

After said appointment - with a condescending reminder from the clerk - not to carry without my card, and a stamp on the receipt saying the same - it arrived on 9/10/018. That's about three months from when I mailed the CHL documents to the sheriff. Disgraceful.
I wholeheartedly agree that it's disgraceful and condescending! I got the same attitude when I paid for my Multnomah County CHL renewal and was issued a receipt! It took two visits to their CHL designated site and forty-some days to get mine in the mail. The part that REALLY bugged me was the same attitude you experienced. When applying for the license, the clerk gave me my receipt and reminded me that the receipt was not a temporary license and that I better not carry concealed until actual license came in the mail. The way she said it and the 40+ days without being able to carry concealed REALLY bugged me the most! If I was in imminent danger I would have to choose: be unarmed that whole time or carry loaded but without permit! Kind of negates the whole reason to have a permit (which I'm sure was the intent of the county anti-gun people in charge anyway)! The receipt used to be a temporary permit until the real one showed up! The anti-gunners just keep chipping away at our rights where ever they can! I think the "shall issue" clause is the only reason they even bother to issue the permits at all!

The renewal issue can be addressed by simply allowing for the processing time, in other words renew early, 60 or more days before the existing permit expires.

I agree the process takes far too long, heck they pretty much know all about you within 5 minutes of a traffic stop.

I can't speak to the attitude of the Multnomah sheriff's department, I've been treated very well in Columbia County. I'd entertained renewing in Multnomah County out of convenience, think I'll stick with 'ole Columbia until things improve.

The renewal issue can be addressed by simply allowing for the processing time, in other words renew early, 60 or more days before the existing permit expires.

I agree the process takes far too long, heck they pretty much know all about you within 5 minutes of a traffic stop.

I can't speak to the attitude of the Multnomah sheriff's department, I've been treated very well in Columbia County. I'd entertained renewing in Multnomah County out of convenience, think I'll stick with 'ole Columbia until things improve.
Correct me if I'm wrong but renewing 60 days early means you lose those 60 days of chl time, do you not? Depends on if they stick to your original renew date or use the new one to mark time?

Correct me if I'm wrong but renewing 60 days early means you lose those 60 days of chl time, do you not? Depends on if they stick to your original renew date or use the new one to mark time?

You have a valid point, renewing early has the potential for overlapping valid permits. My original permit expired 12/30, my new one expires 12/19 so technically I had two valid permits for 11 days or so. Another way to look at it is for those 11 days I effectively paid double the daily rate for a permit, amortized over 4 years at $60 (WA non-res) for the permit I "lost" 45 cents by renewing early. The very worst case based on the 60 requirement is I'd lose $2.47 if I had two valid permits for 60 days.

I guess it comes down to would I prefer to lose a small amount of money, or would I prefer to be without a permit for a period of time, up to 60 days? For me, as a WA resident, ignoring an event where I actually had to use a concealed handgun for self-defense, I'm not going to risk being pulled over in OR with a concealed handgun and an expired CHL, it's just not worth it, and I don't want to think about it every time I leave the house.

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure in WA the CPL receipt is considered a valid extension of the existing permit until the new one arrives.

Last Edited:
You have a valid point, renewing early has the potential for overlapping valid permits. My original permit expired 12/30, my new one expires 12/19 so technically I had two valid permits for 11 days or so. Another way to look at it is for those 11 days I effectively paid double the daily rate for a permit, amortized over 4 years at $60 (WA non-res) for the permit I "lost" 45 cents by renewing early. The very worst case based on the 60 requirement is I'd lose $2.47 if I had two valid permits for 60 days.

I guess it comes down to would I prefer to lose a small amount of money, or would I prefer to be without a permit for a period of time, up to 60 days? For me, as a WA resident, ignoring an event where I actually had to use a concealed handgun for self-defense, I'm not going to risk being pulled over in OR with a concealed handgun and an expired CHL, it's just not worth it, and I don't want to think about it every time I leave the house.

Having said all that, I'm pretty sure in WA the CPL receipt is considered a valid extension of the existing permit until the new one arrives.
Leave it to the Oregon snowflakes to make a simple routine anything but! If I were to go past my drivers license renewal date they still go by my original renewal date when establishing new renewal date! Nothing changes except perhaps the fee goes up for next renew due to .gov trying desperately to generate MORE revenue from everything, not just one transaction! Irks me no end how the monster want's to be fed!

Last Edited:
Nothing changes except perhaps the fee goes up for next renew due to .gov trying desperately to generate MORE revenue from everything, not just one transaction! Irks me no end how the monster want's to be fed!

Amen brother, WA.gov is literally swimming in money and all they want to do is figure a way to get even more. Well, that and more ways to persecute one of, if not the most law-abiding group of citizens, CPL holders. You know it's bad when a move to Venezuela gets a second thought :eek:. Just kidding on Venezuela of course.

I wholeheartedly agree that it's disgraceful and condescending! I got the same attitude when I paid for my Multnomah County CHL renewal and was issued a receipt! It took two visits to their CHL designated site and forty-some days to get mine in the mail. The part that REALLY bugged me was the same attitude you experienced. When applying for the license, the clerk gave me my receipt and reminded me that the receipt was not a temporary license and that I better not carry concealed until actual license came in the mail. The way she said it and the 40+ days without being able to carry concealed REALLY bugged me the most! If I was in imminent danger I would have to choose: be unarmed that whole time or carry loaded but without permit! Kind of negates the whole reason to have a permit (which I'm sure was the intent of the county anti-gun people in charge anyway)! The receipt used to be a temporary permit until the real one showed up! The anti-gunners just keep chipping away at our rights where ever they can! I think the "shall issue" clause is the only reason they even bother to issue the permits at all!
Funny every time that I've renewed [8] they told me my receipt was until my permit arrived/or declined.

Funny every time that I've renewed [8] they told me my receipt was until my permit arrived/or declined.

I thought my receipt would be just that - but when I read the stamping below from the clerk - I was wrong. Only a receipt for your payment, and a warning that you cannot carry until your physical card comes in "up to 45 days" - a real warm welcome :confused: (At least mine came in under 45.)

This is what I've been told by people who've renewed as well...the MCSO must have changed this receipt stamp within the last 6-8 months. Some people say it's lack of administrative capability, I say it's Portland/Multnomah's way of being inherently dysfunctional. They want you to wait, because there's no sense of urgency. They want to make things easier on their end, and more difficult for us. Wouldn't be Portland without some sort of buggery :D

I thought my receipt would be just that - but when I read the stamping below from the clerk - I was wrong. Only a receipt for your payment, and a warning that you cannot carry until your physical card comes in "up to 45 days" - a real warm welcome :confused: (At least mine came in under 45.)

This is what I've been told by people who've renewed as well...the MCSO must have changed this receipt stamp within the last 6-8 months. Some people say it's lack of administrative capability, I say it's Portland/Multnomah's way of being inherently dysfunctional. They want you to wait, because there's no sense of urgency. They want to make things easier on their end, and more difficult for us. Wouldn't be Portland without some sort of buggery :D
it must be a county thing. When I renew they take my old license and said my receipt covers me until my new one arrives. that could be up to 45 days.

it must be a county thing. When I renew they take my old license and said my receipt covers me until my new one arrives. that could be up to 45 days.

That is odd. When I showed up they took my WA driver license, WA CPL, OR CHL, and my money of course :)

When we were all done they returned all three IDs and a receipt for the $60.

On a side note, there was some dude in the lobby just going off on police trying to get someone's goat. I made sure to avoid eye contact. As we wrapped up the deputy said something like "welcome to my world". The entertainment value alone made the trip worth it :p

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top