JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would happily serve on a jury but like others here my hearing isn't good enough. I explained it to the system several times but still get summons to be on a jury, I guess they couldn't hear what I said.:D

His Lawyer tried all the trade craft: was the breathalyzer calibrated that day (yes) Was the Officer TRAINED to calibrate (yes) had the Officer had experiance in the DUI arrest Procedures (over 270 arrests, IIRC)

:eek:

I would have wondered why he made so many arrest, seems like way too many. Had a cop out of corvallis that got caught giving out DUI tickets that were not deserved. Sometimes it's all about revenue and who they can stick with paying it.

Just Jim, the arresting LEO had Five years of Patrol, he spoke of the number of DUI's in Five years. I failed to make that clear, but Florence, Is a drinking town... And the number is not so large...

Also, as an example, When arriving at an auto accident, at 1:00AM, Chances of DUI increase... In this arrest was made near Midnight...

The off duty Reporting Officer, on the other hand, was Brand New... And was grilled by the defense lawyer, why he felt inclined to call in ... Did he have a "super hero" complex???
His Reply was something like, "the defendents car crossed the white line three times, as he approached me, I would have called it in as just a concerned citizen." The new officer had his Wife, and Two children in his car, and care, their safety was endangered by the DUI Driver.

By the way, it take at least an hour Plus, to drive that distance under normal daytime speeds, night time should slow them down, deer and blind corners alone... So his BAL had Dropped during that drive home!

If you want some interesting statistics on accidents & DUI, look at Highway 126, from Eugene to Florence... it is a horrific highway to drive.

I have lost close friends to accidents involving DUII, both being the Cause of, and the Victim of Under the Influence.... On That Highway....

But I am sure, there are LEO's who might strive to look for DUII Drivers, and crank out tickets like you suggest....

This, in my Opinion, was not one of them, and had I mentioned the man's job, and how much farther he had to drive... It would be of more concern. For Highway 101, North & South of Florence is DUI Driving Central.

In short, it was a valid stop, and... As I put in my bottom line.... His rights stop at my nose.... Had I been just average Joe Citizen, with that car crossing the white lines... I Would Have Called it In....

And have done so, several times.

Drive with a beer bottle in ones hand near me, and I will take the Data, and dial 911, it Is an Emergency, to take one off the road...

I did say my Nose was Polish...

philip

Just Jim, the arresting LEO had Five years of Patrol, he spoke of the number of DUI's in Five years. I failed to make that clear, but Florence, Is a drinking town... And the number is not so large...

Also, as an example, When arriving at an auto accident, at 1:00AM, Chances of DUI increase... In this arrest was made near Midnight...

The off duty Reporting Officer, on the other hand, was Brand New... And was grilled by the defense lawyer, why he felt inclined to call in ... Did he have a "super hero" complex???
His Reply was something like, "the defendents car crossed the white line three times, as he approached me, I would have called it in as just a concerned citizen." The new officer had his Wife, and Two children in his car, and care, their safety was endangered by the DUI Driver.

By the way, it take at least an hour Plus, to drive that distance under normal daytime speeds, night time should slow them down, deer and blind corners alone... So his BAL had Dropped during that drive home!

If you want some interesting statistics on accidents & DUI, look at Highway 126, from Eugene to Florence... it is a horrific highway to drive.

I have lost close friends to accidents involving DUII, both being the Cause of, and the Victim of Under the Influence.... On That Highway....

But I am sure, there are LEO's who might strive to look for DUII Drivers, and crank out tickets like you suggest....

This, in my Opinion, was not one of them, and had I mentioned the man's job, and how much farther he had to drive... It would be of more concern. For Highway 101, North & South of Florence is DUI Driving Central.

In short, it was a valid stop, and... As I put in my bottom line.... His rights stop at my nose.... Had I been just average Joe Citizen, with that car crossing the white lines... I Would Have Called it In....

And have done so, several times.

Drive with a beer bottle in ones hand near me, and I will take the Data, and dial 911, it Is an Emergency, to take one off the road...

I did say my Nose was Polish...

philip

270 drivers in 5 years is about 54 a year. State guys get a month off a year so add up what the rest of the state guys write up and that comes to a lot of revenue. All the court fees and diversion counseling plus the fine itself, now add it all up for every cop the state.

My dad was killed by a drunk and so was a dear friend and his wife so I am not defending drunk driving. I would just like absolute proof they were drunk when issued a ticket. Like I said there was a cop in corvallis got caught lying and they had to let a bunch of drivers off. He was collecting revenue for the city and justice be dam.

^^^^ whatever. 54 DUI's a year is one a week, in a city which I believe has Seven LEO's, City Police, has been stated multiple times.

Breathalyze was correct, calibrated, why are you Pole Vaulting over Mouse Turds???

Again, Whatever. I'm done.

philip :eek::confused: :rolleyes:o_O :mad:

edited, there are 52 Friday Nights a Year, as Well as the Same Number of Saturday Nights: given drunks who drive will probably drive the most, on one of those two nights, AyeWhat????

<- Why there aren't any school shootings in Israel!
Teacher with long gun slung over her shoulder!!!

Served on two juries. First was an accident case and one of the defendants was the Wash State Dept of Trans, for whom I worked at the time. I also knew and had worked for the Project Engineer. I stated both facts but was still seated on the jury. Good thing to as they would have not seen the obvious facts of how a body reacts during braking vs a collision. Anyway they held the driver of the MH responsible so their insurance had to pay for her injuries.

Second time was a racketeering case. Man claimed he didn't know his boss was delivering weed. Boy that went out the window fast due to the smell from the weed. One problem I had was one of the officers held up his note pad with the words "He's guilty" in letters big enough for the jury to see and in full view of the whole jury. There was no doubt the guy was guilty but the officer placed the case in jeopardy of it being thrown out.

Now I wear two hearing aids and one ear takes over 90 db before I hear a thing so I hope it keeps me out of jury selection!

Deen
NRA Life Member, Benefactor Level
NRA Golden Eagle member
NRA Recruiter
Defender of Freedom Award
Washington Arms Collector Member
Vancouver Rifle & Pistol Club member

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one and don't have it, you'll probably never need one again!"

When called for jury duty I always proudly appeared. It helped that I had a union job that gave paid time-off for jury duty! Yet I was almost always "excluded" during jury selection by the defense attorney. First, I described my hobbies as, "reading, shooting." Second, they were always horrified by how many times I had been assaulted or robbed (it was career related.) Hardly ever got a trial to sit on. They must have thought I was biased somehow!

Interesting aside: I was stopped at courthouse security by my kubotan keyring. The deputy sternly exclaimed that it was a dangerous weapon, and made me throw it away. I said to him, "Well, if I am a dangerous guy WITH a kubotan, would I not still be a dangerous guy WITHOUT it?" He just glared. The next day I came with a Mini-Maglite for my keyring, and he could not do anything about it. He just glared.:D

I have never served on a jury.

I'm not interested in sitting in a room for any length of time listening to Attorneys lie back & forth...............................................Not at ALL!:mad::rolleyes:

I have always asked to be excused from serving, and have always been granted that request.;)

I've never even had to report downtown, and last summons, I asked to be permanently removed from future summons's's's's's'ss's's....

I'll let others sit in judgement of "which attorney lied the best".o_O:confused:

First time I was called I proudly appeared also. This was downtown Portland. I found it very interesting. I was called in with a group of people and was not chosen, I was quite disappointed. It was a case involving a lady who was hit on her bicycle by a 20s something kid. She had a soft cast and everything.

I was less proud to appear when I was called TWO more times in the next three years. However, they had changed the way it worked and you would call the night before to confirm. Both times I was not needed. My greatest fear if I actually got on a jury would be getting a high profile murder/rape case of some kind. Being stuck on a jury for a case that runs WEEKS would be a major bummer, for me.

All I can say is lawyers dont want doctors on a jury. I've been called in 7-8 times, always get dismissed. Last one was a drug case. Lawyer asked me if I was a doctor then asked me if I was familiar with the effects of meth. Then I got dismissed. I assume they dont want someone like me influencing the rest of the jury with actual knowledge.

Really quite disappointing. I have to cancel a whole day of clinic to go and then dont even get to serve.

I always said that I would never try and get out of jury duty. That if for some reason I was on trial I would want one of my peers on the jury, not just people who didnt have a good excuse to get out of jury duty.

^^^^ Plus 100 on what Doc Bolus said... Civic Duty. Think of it this way, Maybe, with your Presence, the jury will vote correctly!!!

There are folks out there, that simply do not understand, what civilization is About.

We could lose our System, without representation, Represent what you think is Correct.

Unless a person has a bonified Medical reason, or will be an Automatic Dismissal, like The Doc... Go.

A Point of View, like all the rest...

philip o_O

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews