JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
My Oregon CHL expires in January. I'm thinking that if I wait until it expires then there will be a gap when I can't carry, so I should renew in advance...but I can't find on the MCSO web site how early you can renew it.

Anyone know?
I'd do it a couple to a few months in advance. That's what I did and it still ended up expiring before they got my renewal finished. I had to go down to the CHL issue building to get a temporary until mine came in.

I would suggest sending in an early renewal to most. Since the cost is increasing 50%, if you have less than a year remaining, you'll overall be money ahead and with the added convenience of mail in if done by 9/25. What's the worst that happens? They give you your check back with a "too soon" note

I mailed my paperwork in Washington County Aug 24th and it came in the mail today. Possibly Tuesday. I didn't check. 5-6 business days since it was late on the 24th. Color me surprised.

I was at the Multnomah County office yesterday for a renewal and they said 90 days is their current timeline. But they gave me a
Receipt to keep carrying while it's being processed.

Today I received in the mail my Multnomah County CHL. It has been 90 days to the day that I went in and submitted my application and paid my fees. I was starting to worry as my old CHL expires in a few weeks!

Today I received in the mail my Multnomah County CHL. It has been 90 days to the day that I went in and submitted my application and paid my fees. I was starting to worry as my old CHL expires in a few weeks!
That's the current average it seems with Multnomah County.
I'd send everything in no later than 3 months ahead of time.

As info:
  • My OR CHL was scheduled to expire January 25, 2022
  • Sent my renewal on August 4, 2021
  • Received it today (October 25, 2021)
I'm in Multnomah County.

From the Multnomah County Sheriffs Office CHL FAQ page on a renewal application - "no more than thirty (30) days before your current CHL expires."
I'll be sending my renewal application in earlier as it's taking them longer than 30 days to process and mail a renewed CHL.

How do I renew my concealed handgun license?
  • If you have a current CHL from Multnomah County, even if your CHL is expired, and it is no more than thirty (30) days before your current CHL expires OR
  • if you have been issued a CHL in Oregon in a county other than Multnomah and it is due for renewal, even if it is expired, THEN
  • you will need to select the RENEW Concealed Handgun License OR TRANSFERRING from Another County and RENEWING link (renewal application)

From the Multnomah County Sheriffs Office CHL FAQ page on a renewal application - "no more than thirty (30) days before your current CHL expires."
I'll be sending my renewal application in earlier as it's taking them longer than 30 days to process and mail a renewed CHL.

How do I renew my concealed handgun license?
  • If you have a current CHL from Multnomah County, even if your CHL is expired, and it is no more than thirty (30) days before your current CHL expires OR
  • if you have been issued a CHL in Oregon in a county other than Multnomah and it is due for renewal, even if it is expired, THEN
  • you will need to select the RENEW Concealed Handgun License OR TRANSFERRING from Another County and RENEWING link (renewal application)
Nope...
Did mine 90 days in advance. ..saved fifty bucks

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top