JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, no screaming eagle poo... People have no faith in government at any level to protect them. Get fit, get armed, get training.

unfortunately...most of them will get the firearm but won't get the proper training and they are DEFINITELY not fit.

i've lost count how many times i've been at the range and see really large people walking in there with their firearms. they make multiple trips to and from the vehicle and are winded by the time they unload the stuff. SMH!

unfortunately...most of them will get the firearm but won't get the proper training and they are DEFINITELY not fit.

i've lost count how many times i've been at the range and see really large people walking in there with their firearms. they make multiple trips to and from the vehicle and are winded by the time they unload the stuff. SMH!
Hey now, While Im not a marathon runner I can damn near lift a car. :p

<broken link removed>

"Following the UCC shooting, Oregon Governor Kate Brown said it was not the right time to talk about more gun control in the state."

You'd think with all the guns out there in America there wouldn't be any gun control debate.
I find it interesting how so many people buy guns or get CHLs after tragic gun violence events, but never vote pro gun. They are not afraid anyone's going to take their guns away, but their afraid enough of crime to buy or carry one and cant put 2+2 together to realize all the anti-gun prohibitions against them actually being able to carry one to use.

A lot of new gun owners I know are starting to pay a lot more attention about what (now) will soon affect them...
I shur hope so, it would only make sense. Far better for these middle grounders who believe in these "common sense" gun laws yet still believe in the RTKBA actually go out and become a gun owner and try to exercise their right. Many of them have no clue to all the laws until they get down to trying to abiding by them.... and in Oregon we still have it relatively easy by comparison.

The need for a gun increases as the physical ability declines. The weak and infirm, the unfit and the aged, can be able (more able?) to stand their ground if they can carry a firearm and receive proper instruction and access to adequate opportunity to practice. It wasn't the strong, young, slim, and tall that Sam Colt needed to make equal.

Wheelchair/walker tactics, one-arm gun handling, classes for various body types, classes for the old, the fat, short, etc...
Sounds like a massive (and profitable) self defence training market that needs to be met.

"Help!! I've fallen, and....
.....you're still not going to get my purse.buttwad!!"

Last Edited:
The need for a gun increases as the physical ability declines. The weak and infirm, the unfit and the aged, can be able (more able?) to stand their ground if they can carry a firearm and receive proper instruction and access to adequate opportunity to practice. I wasn't the strong, young, slim, and tall that Sam Colt needed to make equal.

Wheelchair/walker tactics, one-arm gun handling, classes for various body types, classes for the old, the fat, short, etc...
Sounds like a massive (and profitable) self defence training market that needs to be met.

Good point. Not everyone that buys a gun is doing so to become tactical or to operate. And not everyone is planning for SHTF or WROL. But we often say that guns are one of the great equalizers - able to give a fighting chance to those who might otherwise be unable to defend themselves. If we truly believe that, then you're right, there are some opportunities to help teach folks that can't 'operate' like some others. If anything, we need as many people on our side right now as possible. Just because someone isn't in their top peak condition doesn't mean they can't be an asset to the pro-gun community. I myself may not get winded carrying my guns from the car, but I'm also not going to be running any marathons, or 5K's or the 100 yard dash ;) There was a time, but that was a while ago.

"In Clark County, the number of concealed carry permit applications has jumped so dramatically that the county added staff to handle the influx."

That is nice that they increased personnel to serve the public need. Out here in Umatilla County the Sheriff don't give a bubblegum. The wife and I applied in 2013 and had to wait over 200 days! A friend just got hers in the summer and had a four month wait. I imagine by now the wait is back up to over 200 days again!

The need for a gun increases as the physical ability declines. The weak and infirm, the unfit and the aged, can be able (more able?) to stand their ground if they can carry a firearm and receive proper instruction and access to adequate opportunity to practice. I wasn't the strong, young, slim, and tall that Sam Colt needed to make equal.

Everyone has their reaasons.

Good point. Not everyone that buys a gun is doing so to become tactical or to operate. And not everyone is planning for SHTF or WROL. But we often say that guns are one of the great equalizers - able to give a fighting chance to those who might otherwise be unable to defend themselves. If we truly believe that, then you're right, there are some opportunities to help teach folks that can't 'operate' like some others. If anything, we need as many people on our side right now as possible. Just because someone isn't in their top peak condition doesn't mean they can't be an asset to the pro-gun community. I myself may not get winded carrying my guns from the car, but I'm also not going to be running any marathons, or 5K's or the 100 yard dash ;) There was a time, but that was a while ago.

No one is saying every gun owner needs to be an operator but be able to handle it properly.
I'm ran into dumb/unfit/untrained/irresponsible people at gun shops, at the grocery store, the range...etc
If something is keeping you from being able to properly handle the firearm you purchased, that "something" needs to be addressed.

No one is saying every gun owner needs to be an operator but be able to handle it properly.
I'm ran into dumb/unfit/untrained/irresponsible people at gun shops, at the grocery store, the range...etc
If something is keeping you from being able to properly handle the firearm you purchased, that "something" needs to be addressed.

You seemed to be focusing more on the fitness aspect, which is what I was addressing. I'm in complete agreement with you on people that are irresponsible, untrained or just plain ignorant about the proper and safe handling of firearms.

With regard to physical issues, if someone's ability to safely operate a firearm is impacted by physical issues, then yes, I would also agree with you. I would simply say that because someone is not as strong, not as agile or not as fit as some others, shouldn't make them less capable of operating a firearm in most circumstances. Now, I've seen some LEO's that perhaps are not in the proper physical condition to do their jobs, and that, of course, is a pretty serious concern.

You seemed to be focusing more on the fitness aspect, which is what I was addressing. I'm in complete agreement with you on people that are irresponsible, untrained or just plain ignorant about the proper and safe handling of firearms.

With regard to physical issues, if someone's ability to safely operate a firearm is impacted by physical issues, then yes, I would also agree with you. I would simply say that because someone is not as strong, not as agile or not as fit as some others, shouldn't make them less capable of operating a firearm in most circumstances. Now, I've seen some LEO's that perhaps are not in the proper physical condition to do their jobs, and that, of course, is a pretty serious concern.

there's always going to be dumb/irresponsible people in every group. natural selection will eventually weed them out. hopefully.

as far as the fitness aspect of what i said, i'll clarify. i'm seen several times where a person's fitness was not allowing proper operation of a firearm. that's a problem because then you're unsafe and putting others at risk. people seem to like to handle firearms that are too big for them...or too small for them...or too heavy...etc. i've seen it all.
i'll use myself as an example. i like the idea of a subcompact handgun but i have large hands and can't safely handle it without getting my fingers pretty darn close to the end of the barrel so i stay away from them.

i call it the "fat cop syndrome"...whenever i see an overweight cop i think to myself, "if a criminal was to do something stupid right now, how would he/she chase them down". i'm not talking about a cop who is carrying a few extra pounds...i'm talking about cops like this...
such_fat_cops_640_09.jpg

there's always going to be dumb/irresponsible people in every group. natural selection will eventually weed them out. hopefully.

as far as the fitness aspect of what i said, i'll clarify. i'm seen several times where a person's fitness was not allowing proper operation of a firearm. that's a problem because then you're unsafe and putting others at risk. people seem to like to handle firearms that are too big for them...or too small for them...or too heavy...etc. i've seen it all.
i'll use myself as an example. i like the idea of a subcompact handgun but i have large hands and can't safely handle it without getting my fingers pretty darn close to the end of the barrel so i stay away from them.

i call it the "fat cop syndrome"...whenever i see an overweight cop i think to myself, "if a criminal was to do something stupid right now, how would he/she chase them down". i'm not talking about a cop who is carrying a few extra pounds...i'm talking about cops like this...
View attachment 267940

Agreed that people should not attempt to operate a firearm if they have some kind of physical limitation that prevents the safe operation of the firearm.

The picture of that cop reminds me of a story from back in my high school days. I was driving to work after school and as I approached an intersection next to a bowling alley, a guy bolted out in front of my car, I almost hit him as I slammed on my brakes. Then I hear his buddy yelling "run Matt, run!!!" Immediately following him were 2 officers, guns drawn, giving chase, behind them, two plain clothes officers, also guns drawn, chasing him. What stood out was plain clothes #2 - he was huge. As he ran, he had is snub-nose in one hand and the waist of his pants in the other. There was no chance in heck he would catch this guy, but he was running anyway. As he got in front of my car, he proceeded to drop his gun on the road, right in front of me. He struggled to bend over and pick it up, and then, decided to continue the chase. It was quite something, and probably a good reason for that guy to consider a desk job instead.

Agreed that people should not attempt to operate a firearm if they have some kind of physical limitation that prevents the safe operation of the firearm.

The picture of that cop reminds me of a story from back in my high school days. I was driving to work after school and as I approached an intersection next to a bowling alley, a guy bolted out in front of my car, I almost hit him as I slammed on my brakes. Then I hear his buddy yelling "run Matt, run!!!" Immediately following him were 2 officers, guns drawn, giving chase, behind them, two plain clothes officers, also guns drawn, chasing him. What stood out was plain clothes #2 - he was huge. As he ran, he had is snub-nose in one hand and the waist of his pants in the other. There was no chance in heck he would catch this guy, but he was running anyway. As he got in front of my car, he proceeded to drop his gun on the road, right in front of me. He struggled to bend over and pick it up, and then, decided to continue the chase. It was quite something, and probably a good reason for that guy to consider a desk job instead.

What's really sad is that most law enforcement agency stations have fitness equipment and pay their officers when they're there to workout. so really theirs no reason not to be in shape.

CJ, I know you must have heard the saying "Too old to fight but too young to die".
For me it's not so much the age but the physical ability to fight to win. I can sneeze and throw my back out (no BS)!!!
A lot of people who are just now getting a new or their first firearm and go to the range to shoot it to get familiar with it & will only go once a year, if that. This is due to not being comfortable with "gun nutz" (tacti-cool giddy gun people) at the range... now remember that many liberals are just now waking up and want to arm themselves since they now know that Owebama & his kind refuse to care for Americans wellbeing & security. These are the same people who still vote & elect our enemies and now would be an excellent time to start up a conversation about what is REALLY GOING ON in the country.
Yeah and some are just plain scary with a gun in their hands but please guide them instead of bash them.....;)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top