JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
It is divided when the CHL holders say..."Well, I can still carry cause I have my CHL. Sorry for you open carriers though. Darn that must suck.
I've never said anything along those lines. What do CHL holders have to do with the county banning OC? I would hope most of us would support OC, even if we don't do it ourselves. I am upset the county has banned it, but it's not the CHL holders fault. Put the blame where it belongs, on liberal politicians who hate guns and don't want us to have any right to carry them, OC or concealed.

Well this could EASILY be turned around to place blame on the CHL holders.... For so long now they have given up their right to carry for the privilege of carrying blessed by the state. They have set legal presence that "licenses are needed".

So how about instead of "blaming" each other on the same side of the table we put efforts where they are really needed?

Well this could EASILY be turned around to place blame on the CHL holders.... For so long now they have given up their right to carry for the privilege of carrying blessed by the state. They have set legal presence that "licenses are needed".
No, we are following the law, as wrong as it is. Time to change the law, rather than have our rights oppressed even more by not carrying at all.
So how about instead of "blaming" each other on the same side of the table we put efforts where they are really needed?
No arguments there, but I don't see CHL blaming anyone other than the liberal politicians.

As a complete aside, has anyone actually thought about moving from Oregon, not only because of the gun laws, but the liberalness of the state in general? Something I've been thinking about lately.

No, we are following the law, as wrong as it is. Time to change the law, rather than have our rights oppressed even more by not carrying at all.

So where was the outcry when this law was imposed? Who fought it? Why is it not being fought today?

Now that it is law it is NO LONGER A RIGHT. There is no way around that point.

As long as laws like these stand RIGHTS become privileges. As long as new laws are put in place the same is true.

As a complete aside, has anyone actually thought about moving from Oregon, not only because of the gun laws, but the liberalness of the state in general? Something I've been thinking about lately.

Yep, actually planning it and seeing how it plays out. Fortunately my workplace allows for working remotely. So, am looking at Kentucky as their carry laws are quite nice (almost non-existent) and we can still home school without the intrusions that Oregon places on us. Oh, and their license is a CCDW (Concealed Carry Deadly Weapon) license. It means almost anything but Class III. I like that.

Time for me to move. I have lived almost all my life (62yrs) within a 10 mile radius in Portland. When I move again I plan to get as far away from Portland and Multnomah County as feasibly possible. They do not want old retired(my body wore out earlier than I planned) blue collar workers who believe in the second amendment and God stinking up their neighborhoods. Only the people around my age will even talk to me where I have been a homeowner for over 25 years. I try to neighborly but they saw me taking my guns from the house to my car a couple of times and they immediately turned and went in the house. For those who say I wasn't being discreet enough I have nothing to hide and a rifle or shotgun case looks rifle or shotgun case. Handguns are a lot easier to hide, but why do I have to hide an item I legally own? The people in neighborhood who have been here as long or in 3 cases longer still talk to me even though they all know I have guns. Portland used to be a nice city to live in at one time but no more.

Yes. I fear the state's move further down the spectrum of liberalness has sped up with the legislature meeting every year. It just allows them more time to pass bad bills.

So I have been saying all along that the practice of open carry in large cities and other places where liberals congregate, would only lead to the loss of that privilege. So now I have been proven correct.

Why do so many of you want to scare the liberals into this kind of action? Why do you insist on shoving it in their faces? It only serves to get more liberals to take action against open carry. It never brings significantly more support for open carry.

Supporting our 2nd Amendment right is all good. Abusing open carry privileges is totally different. In rural areas open carry is an excepted practice, but culturally in the cities it is not.

So you made your point, and they made theirs, and the people in rural Multnomah County are pooched.

Now I guess you'll have to join us concealed carriers if you want to pack.

So I know a lot of you may disagree with me. Feel free to fire back. Oh, that's right, you can't.

You have been so intimidated by the politicos that you actually believe that?

Sorry guy, if you have a CHL you can carry as you please. They can only restrict UNLICENSED OC...nothing more. Try reading Oregon law. What this sounds like is time for an OC meet-up in one of the big Portland parks.

You have been so intimidated by the politicos that you actually believe that?

Sorry guy, if you have a CHL you can carry as you please. They can only restrict UNLICENSED OC...nothing more. Try reading Oregon law. What this sounds like is time for an OC meet-up in one of the big Portland parks.

My real intent here was to get a good discussion going, which we did. I have a concealed carry in both states so it does not affect me.

Coming from a political background. I can say that a lobbyist from the NRA would probably tell you there is a time and place to poke the bees nest. I personally think it politically unwise at this time, with all the emotion around the issue, to scare and intimidate the ignorant liberals anymore than they already are.
I choose the word ignorant, because I think educating them would help more than scaring them. My opinion.
You should all be actively writing, calling, and talking face to face with those that are elected to represent you.
Rights verses privileges? If you have to get a license or permit, it is a privilege, not a right.
Is OC a right or privilege? I guess we're going to find out, because I suspect this issue won't die here. I will support you any way I can politically from the other side of the river.
Goog luck to you all in Multnomah county with this.

I LOVE freedom . . . we dont have much in this country.

We dont have any rights . . . We have temporary privilages that get suspended when we need them most.

Dont lie to yourself. People who believe they are free when they are not are the biggest slaves of all.

On the moving thing...

(points to nametag) It's 'misplaced' for a reason. I don't like hippies (read liberals). Never have, never will. Texas is pretty hippie-less and I plan to be heading back as soon as I can get my schooling finished.

Though I do love these things you folks call 'mountains', and this white stuff called snow. Rather novel ideas!

My real intent here was to get a good discussion going, which we did. I have a concealed carry in both states so it does not affect me.

Coming from a political background. I can say that a lobbyist from the NRA would probably tell you there is a time and place to poke the bees nest. I personally think it politically unwise at this time, with all the emotion around the issue, to scare and intimidate the ignorant liberals anymore than they already are.
I choose the word ignorant, because I think educating them would help more than scaring them. My opinion.
You should all be actively writing, calling, and talking face to face with those that are elected to represent you.
Rights verses privileges? If you have to get a license or permit, it is a privilege, not a right.
Is OC a right or privilege? I guess we're going to find out, because I suspect this issue won't die here. I will support you any way I can politically from the other side of the river.
Goog luck to you all in Multnomah county with this.

Actually, with OR state constitution Article 1 section 27 I am surprised that someone has not taken ORS 166.173 to court for being unconstitutional.

A CHL is a license, therefor carrying concealed is a privilege, and not a "Right" as the courts have ruled that a "Right" cannot be licensed. That is the whole basis of unlicensed OC. Article 1 section 27 states you have the "RIGHT" to carry, as you cannot license a "Right", and concealed is a licensed activity...so OC is the way you exercise that "Right" without the "privilege" afforded by a CPL.

Maybe now is the time for that law suit. I disagree with you that OC will cause more problems and more restrictions. The politicos may hope so, but history with the courts say no. We are talking OR state court now, not federal court.

Time for me to move. I have lived almost all my life (62yrs) within a 10 mile radius in Portland. When I move again I plan to get as far away from Portland and Multnomah County as feasibly possible. They do not want old retired(my body wore out earlier than I planned) blue collar workers who believe in the second amendment and God stinking up their neighborhoods. Only the people around my age will even talk to me where I have been a homeowner for over 25 years. I try to neighborly but they saw me taking my guns from the house to my car a couple of times and they immediately turned and went in the house. For those who say I wasn't being discreet enough I have nothing to hide and a rifle or shotgun case looks rifle or shotgun case. Handguns are a lot easier to hide, but why do I have to hide an item I legally own? The people in neighborhood who have been here as long or in 3 cases longer still talk to me even though they all know I have guns. Portland used to be a nice city to live in at one time but no more.

Hello from me then.

There are still many gun and God loving folks here in Portland I imagine, but it does seem this county has moved away from what I believe to be morally right in more then a few ways.

hermannr:
"Sorry guy, if you have a CHL you can carry as you please. They can only restrict UNLICENSED OC...nothing more. "

That steps on a whole lot of good peoples constitutional rights because they do not have a CHL.

No 2nd Amendment rights....Not a CHL holder.

Keeps 2nd Amendment rights......Pay to pass a background test, take a firearms class, record their fingerprints, have an interview with the local sheriff and pay a fee.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top