JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have my appointment in a month for my CHL at the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office . I know all the stuff I have to bring. My question is what happens at the appointment? The questions they ask, the whole process? Can somebody break it down?

I'm not an expert on things Oregon, but I am grateful to be granted an OR CHL. I don't believe any questions beyond "where's the application fee?" will be asked. If you do a web search you'll find the application in PDF format which you simply fill out and submit with payment. It's a bit more complicated for us "furners" since we have to make a case to the sheriff why we are asking for the CHL. As long as the applicant hasn't managed to make steady progress onto the prohibited list, good to go.

From the Multnomah County Sheriff's Office FAQ sheet :

Screen-Shot-08-23-20-at-07-57-PM.png

Last Edited:
I have an expired Oregon CHL. How do I get it renewed? Also, Do I have to take any classes?
nope, mine was expired for over a year whilst I was working overseas, just fill in the form ( download from their site) add a check and send it in. I got a receipt 5 days later and the card after 2 weeks.

The office was Covid closed so it was all done by mail

The rules concerning expired permits vary, best to go online to the specific county/city agency in order to learn more. Best case is they renew, done, worst case is start over. I was able to take an online course for OR CHL, but that was 10 years ago, things my have changed.

Really it's all spelled out on the county sheriff's website.

nope, mine was expired for over a year whilst I was working overseas, just fill in the form ( download from their site) add a check and send it in. I got a receipt 5 days later and the card after 2 weeks.

The office was Covid closed so it was all done by mail

One more question, do I have to include my passport with the mailing?

Update: never mind, it said not to mail it on the web site.

Last Edited:
I've been through the appointment recently, about 28 days ago in fact, and it took less than five min. Finger prints, quick photo, double check all your info is input correctly, and wait about 30 days assuming you passed the BGC.

I've been through the appointment recently, about 28 days ago in fact, and it took less than five min. Finger prints, quick photo, double check all your info is input correctly, and wait about 30 days assuming you passed the BGC.

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure I was prepared for any questions that they may ask. Like compelling reason, etc.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top