JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Take 5 minutes to get an email out to the County Commissioners. Their emails are:
[email protected];[email protected];[email protected];[email protected];[email protected]

I didn't have time to put a whole lot of effort in the email, just enough to get my point across.

More info about the proposed ordinance can be seen here:
Multnomah County Moves Forward On Anti-Gun Ordinances - Oregon Firearms Federation

Feel free to copy/paste the message below.
========================

Dear Multnomah County Commissioners Jeff Cogen, Deborah Kafoury, Loretta Smith, Judy Shiprack, and Diane McKeel,

As a resident of Portland, I'm taking the time to write to you this evening regarding Thursday's "Anti-Gun Ordinance" meeting/session.

After reading through the agenda/proposals, I would like my voice heard on the issue via this short email.

Please do not vote to pass such an ordinance. The proposals do nothing to address the root cause of violence in our communities. It only further polarizes everyone on this topic.

These proposals seem to be put forth in an effort to make Multnomah county stand out along with Colorado, New York, and California - states that are passing laws that do nothing to address the root causes of crime. Those states seem to find new ways to harass the law abiding citizens of their states.

Please remember that President Obama's proposals for Gun Control were defeated in the Senate last week. The people of the United States have spoken that we do not need more laws passed, we need existing laws enforced.

Respectfully yours,

=======================

Thanks for the nudge. Email sent. We need to flood their email boxes today to make our voices heard on this ridiculous ordinance. If you don't want to see this ordinance passed in Multnomah or any other county please take five minutes and make your voice heard. If they don't hear from us they will assume there are no objections to what they are proposing and pass this abomination.

You can go to Board of County Commissioners | Multnomah County and literally cut and paste their emails.

Good to try but I'm betting, since they have testimony set to "INVITED" only and Ceasefire Oregon is the only invited one - no pro gun orgs or people, their minds are made up and nothing we can do will change that. They are the same types as in NY, CT, or CO. Reason makes no headway with these people. They are going on straight emotion and false facts provided by the wonderful Ceasefire Oregon folks. Makes me mad and I definitely want out of Multnomah County and probably am likely going to move out of Oregon completely. Am thinking about going to Kentucky as my work has an office there and I could transfer.

I hear you there Bob. Between the ridiculous taxes I'm forced to pay for things I never use (like the Sellwood Bridge tax) and this proposed ordinance I'm about done with Multnomah county. I used to live in Clackamas county and would like to move back there or anywhere outside of Multnomah as soon as possible. I'm afraid that even if we can defeat this ordinance now that it's only a matter of time before Portland has taken over the whole county, imposing all of it's useless rules on everyone in the county, turning it into a just another lost cause like New York. Whether or not my opinion or even all of our opinions together will change anyone's mind on the council I don't know, but I still want them to know that I disagree with them and think they are making a bad decision if they pass it. And the next time they come up for re-election, I will remember how they vote on this issue.

Sent in my email and here is the response I received,

Thank you for taking the time to write and share your opinion on the
firearms ordinance that Commissioner Kafoury and I brought before the
Board.

The ordinance includes five basic provisions including limiting the
possession of a loaded firearm in a public place and discharge of a
firearm within County boundaries; keeping guns safely locked up and
away from children, and immediately reporting when a firearm is
stolen. It also extends the curfew hours for minors under court
supervision for gun related violations. As required by State law, the
ordinance exempts concealed handgun permit holders, and others, from
the loaded open carry provisions.

State law limits counties and local jurisdictions from legislating in
other areas related to firearms. Issues like banning assault rifles
and limiting magazine size can only be addressed by the State
Legislature and are not included in this ordinance.

The safety of our community and children is one of Multnomah County's
top priorities in bringing forward this ordinance. Thank you again for
weighing in on this important matter.

Jeff

I got the same exact email...lol. It may be an autoreply, but that also means they got our emails and are hopefully counting the yeahs and nays that they receive and act accordingly. Yeah, I may be dreaming, but if these jokers want any hope of another term in office they better be listening to their constituents. We put them in office and we can sure choose to put someone else in next election.

hopefully counting the yeahs and nays that they receive and act accordingly.

Don't hold your breath. Multnomah Country officials have a history of being far left and hold their "Vision" above all the citizens opinions in Oregon. Nothing is going to change here unless at least more politically centered people are voted into office. All the e-mails, phone calls aint gonna change these folks.

http://www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/2013/04/state_vs_local_gun_values.html

"Nothing in the second amendment preserves anyone's right to leave a gun in a place where a kid can get his hands on it."

Nor does it say that we have to keep it locked away from our children either. Nor does it say that our children cant own a firearm themselves. Nor does it say that we must report our missing personal property to you.

Multnomah County is just furthering what they think is their right to infringe on Our 2nd Amendment rights.

2nd Amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Unless you are a city or county and you have the Unconstitutional authority to do so.

"Multnomah County," says the ordinance, "supports efforts to remove State pre-emptions that restrict our ability to enact local legislation to protect our residents,"

Multnomah County knows whats best for The People and will make The People do it or fine them.

Dictatorship.

Don't hold your breath. Multnomah Country officials have a history of being far left and hold their "Vision" above all the citizens opinions in Oregon. Nothing is going to change here unless at least more politically centered people are voted into office. All the e-mails, phone calls aint gonna change these folks.

Oregon gun values vs. Multnomah County gun values: Agenda 2013 | OregonLive.com

"Nothing in the second amendment preserves anyone's right to leave a gun in a place where a kid can get his hands on it."

Nor does it say that we have to keep it locked away from our children either. Nor does it say that our children cant own a firearm themselves. Nor does it say that we must report our missing personal property to you.

Multnomah County is just furthering what they think is their right to infringe on Our 2nd Amendment rights.

2nd Amendment:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. Unless you are a city or county and you have the Unconstitutional authority to do so.

I am afraid that based on the history of that group of losers you're probably right. If they do go ahead and vote this thing in it'll be just one more reason to expedite my exit from this lost county asap (as if I needed any more reasons to do so...lol).

"..."consistent with local values." Cogen himself favors "making it so that people with weapons could not come into public buildings," including schools, city council and county commission chambers, to name a few. People who have concealed handgun licenses currently may enter such places without disarming. ..."

Yep, once again throw the people who open carry and believe they have the Constitutional right to do so under the bus. But you CHL holders are exempt because you asked for permission to do something that should be your Constitutional right.

I am afraid that based on the history of that group of losers you're probably right. If they do go ahead and vote this thing in it'll be just one more reason to expedite my exit from this lost county asap (as if I needed any more reasons to do so...lol).

At this point in time I can not and have to live with my rights being further infringed and nude people riding bikes in front of my house with my underage kids playing outside. City endorsed, of course.

I'm not sure how quickly I'll be able to move either, but I will definitely be working much harder towards making that happen if this unconstitutional ordinance goes into effect.

And Father of Four, you don't ever have to be sorry for speaking your mind. There are certainly many here who feel the same way and share your frustration. Stay strong brother.

they can vote on it. but it will be struck down. they are thumbing their nose at the state legislature. the case at the top of the page---the sticky is dealing with the same thing. A county thinking it can make up its own rules and ignore the pre-emption statutes. Hopefully the state appellate court will uphold the ORS. whch will be another case ruling on our side to show these bubblegumers they are well....bubblegumers

they can vote on it. but it will be struck down. they are thumbing their nose at the state legislature. the case at the top of the page---the sticky is dealing with the same thing. A county thinking it can make up its own rules and ignore the pre-emption statutes. Hopefully the state appellate court will uphold the ORS. whch will be another case ruling on our side to show these bubblegumers they are well....bubblegumers

You'd better reread the statutes as they do have the right under the state preemption to regulate open carry for NON CHL holders. They can pass the ordinance about no loaded open carry by non CHL holders. CHL holders can still open carry, just like in Portland or Salem but non CHL holders will not be able to just like in Portland and Salem. Not sure about the locking and reporting requirements.

Sent from my LG Optimus Elite using Tapatalk 2

Well, as expected, just moments ago this ordinance was unanimously adopted.
They basically dismissed any and all comments and testimony opposing the ordinance.
Sorry for the disappointing news.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads