JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Define permanent change to an AR. Thats really a clause for fixed barrel "normal" guns.
For example, my NFA stamp application was for 10.3" barrel originally. If I sell the 10.3" upper and put a 4.5", indefinitely, then I would write a letter to ATF.
But as long as I have a 10.3" upper and 4.5" and 8" etc.. then I would not write to ATF.

You don't need to do that. If it's a permanent thing then go ahead. If you are doing it temporarily then don't. I change barrels and calibers more often then I change underwear and I don't retain the old stuff or I do on a different gun sometimes. Here's what I do...one a year I send in a 5320.20 to travel to a neighboring state to shoot at a range there and date it for a year. On it I list the then current length for all the SBRs iI own.

Last Edited:
The only time I have ever heard of people getting in trouble for "intent" is when they are trying to make NFA stuff without the stamp. People often get over worked up over this. If you paper a lower no one is going to care how many uppers you have. Just do not put together an upper and lower that is not papered. (as in SBR on a lower not papered for it) Or do not have all the parts to make a suppressor, and no stamp. This is where people get in trouble and they are asking for trouble. My first can will be .22. Will be buying the parts but will wait till we have the stamp to drill the stuff. After we have the first stamp I will not worry about having some spare parts for it. Just don't try to make NFA stuff with no stamp, thinking keeping it in pieces ready to go is "safe". That is what will get the Feds all in a bunch if they find it. Of course to find it you would have to do something to get their attention too. Like say showing some buddies your illegal stuff. So just don't be stupid. ;)

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top