JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A buddy and I went shooting yesterday, mostly plinking, sighting scopes, and a lots of fun.

I had a block of carbon fiber 100 plies thick. It is unidirectional carbon fiber laid up in an alternating 0°/90° pattern and then cured. Needless to say it is some very strong stuff. I have always been interested in how it would hold up to bullets. Yesterday, I found my answer...

DSC_0066-1.jpg

DSC_0067-1.jpg

DSC_0068-3.jpg

The small marks of from 7 1/2 shot same distance. Next time I'll shoot a 3 inch 00 Magnum at it.

Also the 7 1/2 just bounced right off, it barely made it through the first layers.

Would it be economically feesable to make body armor out of carbon fiber? You'd think they would have experimented with the idea before already but maybe they didn't. I'd be curious if you could stop 308 rounds with a thick enough carbon fiber block. Think it could be done and if so at what cost?

Would it be economically feesable to make body armor out of carbon fiber? You'd think they would have experimented with the idea before already but maybe they didn't. I'd be curious if you could stop 308 rounds with a thick enough carbon fiber block. Think it could be done and if so at what cost?

The cost of a CF block that could withstand a .308 would be astronomical. I don't know exact numbers but it would so easily be 4-5 digits for a relatively small block.

The most expensive CF fabric we have is around $130sq/ft. So take a one square foot section with 100 layers, you are talking $13,000 right there, and that probably won't even stop the 7.62x39.

when I did some layup work we used to put some woven kevlar every 3rd or 4th layer. Granted the parts were only 10-12layers thick. I would wonder how that would effect something like this? Would be interesting to see, but I ain't gonna front the cash for it :D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top