JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have seen quite a few videos and read a few testimonies on how well a .308 suppressor will work on a 5.56. My question (s) is will this also work on a 7.62x39? Correct me if I'm wrong but the caliber shouldnt be a problem and the chamber pressure is lower than a .308, correct?

Also, call me cheap, I call it multi-tasking. But I was also wondering if this would work for a .45 can on a 9mm barrel. would I run into issues with baffle strikes, barrel diameters........

I'd rather have 2 suppressors that could be used on the majority of my firearms than buy a grip of them. Just trying to get as much info as possible before I decide on which 2 size cans to get. Thanks for the help guys. :s0155:

Using a .45 can with 9mm and .40 has become very popular lately for "multi-tasking" for the reasons you mention. The two quietest for .45 on the market are the SilencerCo Osprey and the Advanced Armament Ti-Rant. They have interchangeable pistons that allow you to change the thread pitch/size to fit multiple firearms. I went with the Osprey and have .5x28 and metric 16x1LH pistons for use on 9mm and my .45 USP. I'm extremely happy with the Osprey. A friend of mine shot .45 through it the other day and actually giggled like a schoolgirl over how quiet it is.
SilencerCo has video of sound testing of their cans shooting sub caliber on their website.

I'm really glad that you mentioned the Ti-Rant. I think I've narrowed it down to the AAC 762-SD and the Ti-Rant. From what I've been told and read online is that their customer service is second to none. I was also contemplating the osprey initially but couldn't get past the shape. I know, I know it's vain but if I'm going to put somthing on a handgun that cost more than the actual pistol I at least want it to be pretty!

And here's a link to the video that Abiqua mentioned about shooting sub-calibers - Pretty much answers all my questions in regards to sub calibers for handguns. Thanks again.

YouTube - SILENCERCO Sub-calibers through the Osprey

I'm really impressed that they took the time to do that and post the results. They also put up a video comparing their silencer to two others and taking sound readings. Good stuff.

I have seen quite a few videos and read a few testimonies
on how well a .308 suppressor will work on a 5.56. My question (s) is will this also
work on a 7.62x39? Correct me if I'm wrong but the caliber shouldnt be a problem and
the chamber pressure is lower than a .308, correct? <......>

that is one way of thinking but I believe that is incorrect. it's not the chamber pressure
which you need to weigh, rather the velocity and volume of the spent gas.

let's say you have a 9x19 being fired out of a pistol. one might think that the can may
be used if your rifle is 9x19. but I would submit that the exhaust gas can be much
higher.....even though both chamber pressures read the same/similar.

but in the end, I would agree that using 308 can will work very decently with 5.56. I
am using a Gemtech TPRS for both bolt gun 308 as well as my AR15 for about 5 yrs now.

My plan is to get a .338 mag rated can and shoot that on my 223 3006 and 338 if it can handle the pressures of a 338lm it can handle any lesser caliber. Might not be as quiet but will defintly do the job

I'm really glad that you mentioned the Ti-Rant. I think I've narrowed it down to the AAC 762-SD and the Ti-Rant. From what I've been told and read online is that their customer service is second to none. I was also contemplating the osprey initially but couldn't get past the shape. I know, I know it's vain but if I'm going to put somthing on a handgun that cost more than the actual pistol I at least want it to be pretty!

If customer service is high on you list of priorities, I'd go with SilencerCo over AAC. But either can will make you happy, it's just a matter of preference.

I would go with the 762-SDN over the 762-SD. They will be out soon as the form 3's for the first batch have already been submitted to ATF. They are Shorter, Allegedly quieter and they are rated for barrels down to like 8.5 inches for 5.56.

Ryan

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top