JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just curious if there is such a beast out there?? It would be nice to be able to use (and pay the stupid fees) for a single supressor that I could use on my 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP pistols. :huh:

Perhaps there are "small", "medium", and "large" sizes?? Granted, the pistol ones would be different from the "rifle" ones since the velocity of the two are generally quite different.

Any chance to have a suppressor demo one of these days? I've been on the fence for a while, and sort of want one for my 9mm handguns (CZ-75, or KelTek PF-9).

So the question is, with the 9mm adapter for the .45 M2, will it be equivilent in suppression to a normal 9mm suppressor?

I have found from experience and hands-on side-by-side testing that the bore diameter of a suppressor makes a LOT less difference in sound suppression than you would be led to believe.

Translation: A .45 pistol suppressor will work just fine for .40, 9mm and .22 pistols. A .45 smg suppressor will work fine for .40, 9mm and .22 smg's. A .30 caliber rifle suppressor will work fine on a .223.

This is the Dirty Little Secret of the suppressor industry. The can manufacturers REALLY don't want their customers thinking in these terms.

The only real limitation is barrel threads. Suppresor manufacturers DELIGHT in threading their cans differnt from everyone else's. The answer is to find a good Class 2 manufacturer machinist to make you some adapters. Its important to find a machinist versed in suppressors because your adapters MUST produce proper alignment or you WILL get a baffle strike.

I've been using .45 pistol and smg cans with adapters on all centerfire pistol and rimfire calibers for years. No problems. Also .30 rifle suppressors with 7.62x39, .223 and even .22lr (although a .30 can on a Ruger 10/22 is awfully misbalanced).

Limitations -Just keep in mind that you:

1. Can't put a suppressor designed for rimfire on a centerfire platform.
2. Can't put a suppressor designed for a pistol or smg on a rifle caliber platform.
3. Can't put a suppressor designed for semiauto on a full-auto gun.

Keep your can to original or lesser pressure specs than designed and you'll be fine. Start with a big hole can. You can always get smaller ones later if you decide its needful.

Thats not what I said. I said a larger caliber in a supressor works fine on smaller calibers at or less than the designed pressure range.

Two things going when you use a larger caliber suppressor on a smaller caliber.

1. Usually a larger caliber can has more internal volume.

2. Smaller calibers produce less gas volume.

At any rate the hole in the middle doesn't make that much difference in actual use. Gas stripping from the bullet path appears to be accomplished just fine by a bore a few thousandths larger.

I haven't done any technical testing, although I have the B&K sound meter and mic for it, but I suspect the Db reduction for 9mm thru a .45 can is close to the same as .45 thru a .45 can.

I've shot smaller calibers in a larger can side-by-side with the same caliber in the correct caliber can. Neither I nor my shooting partner could discern any material difference in the sound level.

Technically there may be a Db difference but its just not much if any.

Shooting a smaller caliber through a can does lose efficiency, do you the difference in cross section, but it is made up for it by the fact that the can should have a larger volume, which gives the gases more room to expand. From some of tests I've seen, equivalent brand/model line .308 cans can be quieter than .223 cans on the same .223 gun, this is because the .308 can has considerably more volume.

I use a Gemtech HVT (.308 can) on .308 as well as .223 and it works fine. If you want to shoot various suppressors and are down in Oregon, I'd suggest attending the Albany MG shoot (next one is this may, I believe it's the second weekend) they happen twice a year. You can rent quite a few different machine guns as well as silencers. They also have a quiet shoot, where only suppressed firearms are allowed to shoot.

It really depends on a number of factors, the only way to tell would be to try it. It IS possible that it would cycle it.

You might have to replace the spring in the 9mm in order to get it to cycle though.

The answer is to find a good Class 2 manufacturer machinist to make you some adapters. Its important to find a machinist versed in suppressors because your adapters MUST produce proper alignment or you WILL get a baffle strike.

So you're saying that any ol' machinist who's skilled can't make threaded adapters for barrels/guns? Isn't it just a part that needs to be threaded?

1. Can't put a suppressor designed for rimfire on a centerfire platform.
2. Can't put a suppressor designed for a pistol or smg on a rifle caliber platform.
3. Can't put a suppressor designed for semiauto on a full-auto gun.

I assume that since putting a suppressor designed for rifle on handgun platform wasn't in the list is allowed? it's also fine to use a centerfire can on rimfire?

So you're saying that any ol' machinist who's skilled can't make threaded adapters for barrels/guns? Isn't it just a part that needs to be threaded?

I assume that since putting a suppressor designed for rifle on handgun platform wasn't in the list is allowed? it's also fine to use a centerfire can on rimfire?

You have to find a damn good machinist to make the parts, since they have to be spot-on perfect to a few 1000ths of an inch. Otherwise, you can get baffle strikes. "Any ol machinist" won't have the tools to get it this close.

Putting a rifle can on a handgun, or a centerfire on a rimfire is ok, as long as the diameters are correct.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top