JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You have to find a damn good machinist to make the parts, since they have to be spot-on perfect to a few 1000ths of an inch. Otherwise, you can get baffle strikes. "Any ol machinist" won't have the tools to get it this close.

So you're talking thousandths...like .001 right?
I thought that machinists lived in the thousandths. :)

I guess my point is that a machinist doesn't have to be a Class II manufacturer in order to make threaded adapters to tight tolerances. It doesn't have to be for suppressor... :)

The threading also has to be class-3 threads I think.

basically, you need a really GOOD machinist, not just 'any ole machinist'. It doesnt have to be specifically a gun machinist, just a really good one that knows the concerns.

This Multi-Caliber Suppressor thing is going to get real tough when we have to send our cans back to the manufacturer to get a new mount installed.

Apparently, the ATF has now ruled that YHM cannot sell any other mount besides the one attached to the can when it ships. ATF is saying that the mount is integral and is a suppressor part.

This has been confirmed through YHM by a friend though I don't know if it will last after the fight. Their lawyers are being paid for by our taxes and YHM will have to foot their own bill unless we help.

Reportedly, they will start going after other manufacturers like AAC, Knights, Gemtech, etc. soon.

Let's hope this is an elaborate rouse but from the sounds of it things are going to get real bad, real fast!

If anyone knows any other FACTS, please fill us in.

I don't believe everything I read, especially on ARF.com but, when a dealer friend called YHM this am, they confirmed the issue...

Linky: http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=20&t=285453&page=2

This sounds nuts... Why the **** is a piston that expensive? In my case, I grabbed a can for my 1911, and picked up a .578xwhatever -> 1/2x28 converter, which I'll get all my barrels threaded for eventually. And most similar-category cans are all the same threads, no?

Just about anything but a .45 suppressor in handguns can be had in 1/2x28....

You have to find a damn good machinist to make the parts, since they have to be spot-on perfect to a few 1000ths of an inch. Otherwise, you can get baffle strikes. "Any ol machinist" won't have the tools to get it this close.

Putting a rifle can on a handgun, or a centerfire on a rimfire is ok, as long as the diameters are correct.

I am NOT a Machinist, But... I am an Engineering Tech.

Take a .45 can and adapt it to threads for a .223 you will have 0.227 divided by 2, or 0.1135" in additional clearance due to the smaller projectile. Assuming the can is a foot long the misalignment required to get a baffle strike would generally be something a mediocre machinist would easily avoid. It would take a garage mechanic like myself (or someone who just buys an off the shelf thread adapter and blindly trusts it will do the job) to get things so misaligned to get a baffle strike.

That said, There are a lot of ways to mess up with adapters. This is something to do with a vigilant eye on quality control.

I am NOT a Machinist, But... I am an Engineering Tech.

Take a .45 can and adapt it to threads for a .223 you will have 0.227 divided by 2, or 0.1135" in additional clearance due to the smaller projectile. Assuming the can is a foot long the misalignment required to get a baffle strike would generally be something a mediocre machinist would easily avoid. It would take a garage mechanic like myself (or someone who just buys an off the shelf thread adapter and blindly trusts it will do the job) to get things so misaligned to get a baffle strike.

That said, There are a lot of ways to mess up with adapters. This is something to do with a vigilant eye on quality control.

You are right about the measurement aspect, though the pressures that the .223 cartridge create will absolutely destroy a pistol can. Handgun cans are typically aluminum while rifle suppressors are usually steel or titanium of some kind to withstand pressures.

But, that's all semantics. The big issue, as you mentioned, is blindingly trusting people. Go with a reputable manufacturer in all aspects and you'll be in much better condition and hopefully not dealing with baffle strikes! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top