JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
For those of you who aren't worried about prepared freeze dried food, or just need to jump start your food storage, check out Costco online starting September 7th through the 27th.

They are selling cases of Mountain House Beef Stroganoff in #10 cans for $99.99 Delivered. That works out to $16.665 per can which is much lower than I could find anywhere else on the Internet and they have free shipping.

They also have Mountain House Freeze Dried Cinnamon Apple Slices for $69.99 a case to help give you some flavor in your emergency food supply.

I agree with many of you that the first foods you should put away are beens and rice. They are cheap and will give you the most bang for your buck. Adding a couple of cases of freeze dried food will really help with a quick meal and to break up the boredom of living like a Cuban after the fall of the Soviet Union. You won't need to salt your beans and rice if you have a portion of freeze dried food with it!

We tried a mylar package of Mountain House Beef Stroganoff tonight just to remember how it tastes and even my wife liked it and she is a great cook. You do need boiling water but it only takes 9 minutes of soaking before its ready to eat. Give it a couple of extra minutes of soaking for the big chunks of meat to get fully rehydrated.

You don't even need to fight the crowds at Costco and they will deliver it to right to your door.

Hope this helps someone put away a little for hard times.

Good deals, but when it comes to canned FD food, I prefer the underlying ingredients. Meat instead of meat meals, veggies or fruit instead of the meals made with them.

That way I can mix the ingredients into meals I make and I am not limited to making something that works with whatever sauce/etc. that they put together in the meal. As good as their meals are, I feel that they would get old after a while having a limited choice to work with.

I do have a some of their #10 cans of single ingredients, I also have some of their meal pouches which Costco occasionally puts on sale in their stores. The meal pouches are for several purposes:

1) Caches.
2) Storing in my vehicle for emergencies, including getting home.
3) To give out to unprepared people who are on the move. I may decide to give certain refugees (especially if they have children) or neighbors a meal pouch if I am feeling altruistic at the time. A meal pouch, a bottle of water and a homemade alcohol stove with matches would maybe get them further down the road to safety.
4) Barter.
5) Patrols - not as a primary meal, but just in case a patrol member is in an unanticipated situation where they need an emergency meal due to being diverted.

The meal pouches are for those situations where a meal is needed while on the move, and weight/size, durability, longevity are considerations.

I also have some of their meal pouches which Costco occasionally puts on sale in their stores. The meal pouches are for several purposes:

1) Caches.
2) Storing in my vehicle for emergencies, including getting home.
3) To give out to unprepared people who are on the move. I may decide to give certain refugees (especially if they have children) or neighbors a meal pouch if I am feeling altruistic at the time. A meal pouch, a bottle of water and a homemade alcohol stove with matches would maybe get them further down the road to safety.
4) Barter.
5) Patrols - not as a primary meal, but just in case a patrol member is in an unanticipated situation where they need an emergency meal due to being diverted.

The meal pouches are for those situations where a meal is needed while on the move, and weight/size, durability, longevity are considerations.

I concur. We have a couple of plastic food barrels full of the meal pouches and freeze dried meat to go with our rice and beans. Lots of options, I just hope all of you are putting something aside for what may come.

A growling stomach gets old faster than a monotonous menu, and fortunately I'm not fussy over food being palatable. I'll eat cold chicken-noodle soup, pizza, potatoes, steak, casserole, etc. right straight from the fridge, grease chuncks and all. I prefer to drink cold water, but luke-warm will do. o_O

Having had endured 30+ day LRP's in Central America without a resupply and after a while having to forage what you could find to eat, filtering mud puddle water through a bandanna and loading it with iodine tablets before consumption and STILL completing the mission with near absolute noise/light discipline (OMG raw creepy-crawlies/critters)... I EMBRACE the monotony of SHFT food. I would even eat that freeze-dried stroganoff like a crispy candy bar.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a savage warthog and I much prefer premium viddles over swill as much as the next guy, but I don't care if my "food is touching" on my dinner plate... LOL! :D

For those (of us!) who would rather not support Costco when possible and their Leftist politics (they are large contributors to Progressive causes), Epicenter in Eugene, OR will match prices on Mountain House products. In the past, Epicenter have matched prices for me on MH from Costco, Amazon and Walmart. What is more - Epicenter are good people who genuinely support prepping. Click the link below.

TheEpicenter.com Emergency Preparedness Food & Survival Supplies

I prefer to support a local prepper business over a large distant corporation when possible. I rather like knowing specifically where my $$$ is going.

They do walk-in cash sales too if you're in the neighborhood. No paper trail. :)

True, if you used your information when you signed up...

;)

-Edit, adding: I am just joshing with you on this subject. I'll stop. I appreciate the tip, and will hit them up when I'm down that way again...

Last Edited:
Thanks! I check Costco online every once in a while as they usually have the best sales on this kind of stuff. Haven't seen much lately but I ordered a 6 pack of this. Always need to be adding new stuff to the preps and eating some of the old stuff...

I've never tried the Augason farms freeze dried prepared meals, reminds me I should simply to see how it is. Walmart carries them around here.

It is said "Experience is a malicious teacher - for she gives the test first and the lesson afterward."

"Try before you buy" is EXTREMELY important when choosing bulk freeze-dried stuff.

Just as important is the "always read the fine print" because "Nothing in the fine print is ever good news." - Andy Rooney

Some Augason Farms FD stuff is good. Some Walmarts carry a goodly assortment of A-F stuff. Easy to pick up a (SINGLE!) can or a pouch of something you want to try.

But be careful with Augason Farms. Some of their stuff uses TVP (textured vegetable protein) instead of real meat, and its NOT always obvious, until you look closely. I find their real meatless stuff disappointing. Also some A-F stuff sounds like a meat dish but is not.

For instance A-F sells "Creamy Stroganoff" which has no meat in it and has an over-spiced (perhaps in an attempt to make up for the lack of meat) flavor that I found quite objectionable. I haven't tried the A-F Beef Stroganoff, as I find the M-H version outstanding. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

OTOH the A-F Chicken Alfredo (with real chicken) is quite good. Also I found the A-F Hearty Potato Soup is excellent. But TRY IT YOURSELF FIRST - YMMV.

Like Pappy used to say "Details matter - always cut the deck and always count the cards."

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top