JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you get stopped by the cops just tell them a guy on the internet said it was ok to shoot there.

...or show them the guidelines for shooting in National Forests (available at all Mt. Hood National Forest ranger stations) and demonstrate how you're adhering to said rules. There are also no closure notices... so it's A-okay!

... or don't go there because some guy online with no evidence told you not to! Suits me fine!

Still though, not the best shooting spot unless you dig a long walk!

Seen lots of people out on Mt. Hood... and TONS of trash lately.

I've gotten permission from the Mt Hood Ranger Station to clean up spots and throw the trash in their dumpster. I'm sure if you brought back more than you brought in they'd let you use their dumpster as well. Let's not destroy the forest.

Also... please be sure of your backdrop. There is a forestry service road (32 I think) that has tons of places to pull over, but they're all downhill. They look like they peter out to nowhere, but there are tons of mountain biking and hiking trails out there. Don't use those spots!

My daughter and I just went up Wildcat to "scout it out". There are lots of No Shooting signs up now but there is a big one that says "No Shooting For 4 Miles". The new gate is just past the 4 miles and the road up beyond that was open. We drove all the way to the end. There were several folks shooting up there. I was hoping to run into the Law Enforcement Officer but didn't. It would have been nice to get the straight scoop on what is ok up there.

My daughter and I just went up Wildcat to "scout it out". There are lots of No Shooting signs up now but there is a big one that says "No Shooting For 4 Miles". The new gate is just past the 4 miles and the road up beyond that was open. We drove all the way to the end. There were several folks shooting up there. I was hoping to run into the Law Enforcement Officer but didn't. It would have been nice to get the straight scoop on what is ok up there.

I've read about wildcat but never been. Where exactly is it at?

No idea on how long the gate has been there.

If you go out past Sandy to Shorty's Corner and turn right that puts you on Firwood Road. It takes quite a few corners but stay on it for about 3 - 4 miles till you get to Wildcat Mountain Road. Turn left at the stop sign. The gate is about 7 miles up. The top elevation is about 4400 feet which is higher than Government Camp but we found no snow. The right hand side of the road is south. It has been illegal to shoot over there for years. All the spots where we used to shoot were on the north side. It might be good to ask the Forest Service if it is still legal to shoot up there at all rather than risk a ticket.

FYI: If you're interest in coming shooting, don't bother coming up! It's alllll snowed in! My truck with studded snow tires and locking diffs couldn't get through to most the normal spots. You can still hike into East Miller Road though... but it will be somewhat snowy along the way.

Zig zag mountain -was- semi passable for my truck, but I'd not risk it unless you're quite competent at getting around in the snow and getting unstuck. If you get really stuck or slide off the edge and down a steep hillside, there's no cell service for miles.

This webpage shows all the closed areas on Mt. Hood National Forest, as well shooting etiquette regulations.

Mt. Hood National Forest - Recreation

Good find!

I don't know if I believe the dump stoppers statistics saying over HALF of the trash they get is from shooting, when half of their trash is related to people throw out car tires and abandoning vehicles (or STOLEN vehicles being brought into the woods and stripped).

Very unfair statement of them to make.

I just heard a report on the radio this morning that you can be fined $250 if you are out shooting and leave a mess. Not sure how they determine if you made the mess or not so I suggest we all do what I do (and I know a lot of others here) when shooting in the woods...I always carry a small rake and trash bags and leave the area better than I found it (old Boy Scout habits die hard!). Also if you have bags of trash it would be hard for them to say you are the bad guy. Gary

Good find!

I don't know if I believe the dump stoppers statistics saying over HALF of the trash they get is from shooting, when half of their trash is related to people throw out car tires and abandoning vehicles (or STOLEN vehicles being brought into the woods and stripped).

Very unfair statement of them to make.

Nor do I but I can understand that if someone dumps a stolen car and then along comes a shooter and pumps a few holes into it that someone would now consider the car 'shooting garbage / debris'

Alright troops, we have family coming out from the South East. I primarily practice in the Tillamook Forest and we are going to be staying in a couple places in Welches.

The plan is to go do everything that we normally do outdoors here, hiking, swimming in the waterfalls and white water rafting.

All of the family are shooters (we're from the South) so are there any places on the beginning of this thread that are definitely closed now? Any new places that should be noted?

I know gryghin didn't get a reply, so hopefully I'm a bit luckier but does anyone know the status on the East Miller Road spot? I'm heading down to that area in a few weeks and was looking for some spots. Found this thread and that spot is pretty darn close to where I'll be!

Thanks!

I know gryghin didn't get a reply, so hopefully I'm a bit luckier but does anyone know the status on the East Miller Road spot? I'm heading down to that area in a few weeks and was looking for some spots. Found this thread and that spot is pretty darn close to where I'll be!

Thanks!

For Father's day, my family came with me to the Clean up on Saturday that took place on NF45 in the Mt Hood National Forest. I was able to talk with some of the East Side regulars and @Reno911 had Clackamas county maps with the Forest Service roads and quarries marked. I think Trash No Lands sponsored the map, though I'm not sure.

Basically, the rules for target shooting are the following:

Public lands as long as it's not marked off limits.
Pack out what you pack in.
Make sure that you have a good backstop.
Don't shoot tannerite or tracer rounds.
Use homemade paper or commercially manufactured targets.
Don't shoot across roads or streams.

A quick google search "shooting on public land oregon" will bring up the ODF and USDA Forest Service websites.

Have fun and be safe.

My family and I went up to Miller Road for the first time yesterday. We live in Brightwood so it's super convenient. Brought a trash bag and hauled out hundreds of spent brass and shotgun casings and some old cardboard trash. Pretty great time, it's only about 40 yards or so to the backdrop straight on. Someone has spray painted stencil "no shooting" on the gate; not really official, I'm sure it's a resident on brightwood loop right across the highway. I included a pic of the official BLM sign restricting shooting during the time of year they have work crews out. I live about a mile away from this site as the crow flies, so I hear people using it all the time.

IMG_20170729_071639811_HDR.jpg IMG_20170729_072359654.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top