JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Pikachu FB.jpg

Glad to see this happening. I used to live in Welches and it would repeatedly get trashed.

What I'd really like to see is the forestry service stop treating shooters like second class citizens and create a legitimate area for this form of recreation. They have millions of dollars from the income gathered from ski area income and property leases. They have the money to rent a bulldozer and convert some of the long unused gravel pits into semi-legitimate areas, increase accessibility to them (stop gating everything to make it inconvenient), and place a dumpster in there to handle the inevitability of poor locals just tossing trash out to avoid paying dump fees.

I hope this is the start of a long road to improving how the Mt Hood National forest and clackamas county view and treat target shooting in the region.

Glad to see this happening. I used to live in Welches and it would repeatedly get trashed.

What I'd really like to see is the forestry service stop treating shooters like second class citizens and create a legitimate area for this form of recreation. They have millions of dollars from the income gathered from ski area income and property leases. They have the money to rent a bulldozer and convert some of the long unused gravel pits into semi-legitimate areas, increase accessibility to them (stop gating everything to make it inconvenient), and place a dumpster in there to handle the inevitability of poor locals just tossing trash out to avoid paying dump fees.

I hope this is the start of a long road to improving how the Mt Hood National forest and clackamas county view and treat target shooting in the region.
You're on the right thought. They are paying attention to target shooting. A lot more than ever. Our involvement with then for the past few years has really helped.

Recently, they took that bulldozer up to the Wildcat area and cleared a couple lanes for us.

They're doing serveral other things to help the situation. You'll meet some of them this Saturday.

Thanks for your input.

Bill

Recently, they took that bulldozer up to the Wildcat area and cleared a couple lanes for us.

This is absolutely awesome, and I hope they do more of this and continue to work with the community instead of shun it.

I cannot make this particular cleanup but will keep an eye out for future cleaning gatherings. Your efforts are very much appreciated!

This is absolutely awesome, and I hope they do more of this and continue to work with the community instead of shun it.

I cannot make this particular cleanup but will keep an eye out for future cleaning gatherings. Your efforts are very much appreciated!

Hopefully the ranges that are being built in the Tillamook forest will be adopted by other forestry locations. But it took volunteers working with the department of forestry to get it to this point.

N Fork Wolf Creek range update. Tillamook forest (https://www.northwestfirearms.com/threads/n-fork-wolf-creek-range-update-tillamook-forest.222396/)

Getting a range built pretty much started with me going out to the DOF and sitting down with the recreation guys asking how we can work together to clean these sites. Now a year later the first range is going to be finished. 4 more are planned.

So we are always looking for people to jump in and volunteer to go talk to the Forestry guys and find ways to work together that benefit all of us.

Wow, that's really awesome!

If you and/or others wanted to organize and perhaps form a larger group advocating that forests take this approach, I'd be happy to help along with help setup a website for it.

I think everybody stands to win with this!

I think this cleanup is going to be a lot to ask of you folks. It's not like the other simple cleanups we've done in the past, where we mostly stay at one site. This project is going to send us way up the hill and the terrain is rough once you get there. Not so much the roads but the tromping through the brush and woods. It's dark up there. A lot of thick trees. Shooting places are close together so we need to watch out for any other shooting near by. Skip it if you don't feel safe and practice situational awareness.

I'm not trying to scare you off, I'm just letting you know this may not be an easy walk in the park. Still, it needs to be done and I'm hoping we will be of some encouragement to others who see us and realize what we're doing is the right thing to do.

So however many people we have, at this cleanup, we'll do our best to speak loud and clear our opposition to the abuse of our kind of recreation and to the abuse of our public land.

I know I sure appreciate those of you who recreate responsibly. You're giving us a good name!

Thanks for your help!

Bill

'Til the job's done.

We still need some help, but we're getting there. Please post if you can provide any of these?

• BBQ equipment
  • Hot dogs, buns, condiments, & chips (might need more burger & buns, will post later)
  • Salad(s)
  • Donuts
  • Snack bars
  • Cook & Cooks Assistant
  • Director of Parking
  • Pickup Trucks
  • Two way Radios (several pair would be good)
So far;
@NeverGoinBack is providing a couple cases of drinking water and some jugs for coffee/tea,
@STUKA is providing the propane cook stove,
@PNWShooter is bringing muffins and cookies,
@FordPrefect is providing 20 burgers & buns, AND coffee
@Bodyguard is bringing a small table, coffee pot and Colman stove
@Cogs is bringing a couple tables, canopy, paper plates, napkins, forks, & hand sanitizer.
@OregonQuartermaster a 3'x6' table I can bring, as well as a 10'x10' canopy AND Sign-in Att.

Cogs

We still need some help, but we're getting there. Please post if you can provide any of these?

• BBQ equipment
  • Hot dogs, buns, condiments, & chips (might need more burger & buns, will post later)
  • Salad(s)
  • Donuts
  • Snack bars
  • Cook & Cooks Assistant
  • Director of Parking
  • Pickup Trucks
  • Two way Radios (several pair would be good)
So far;
@NeverGoinBack is providing a couple cases of drinking water and some jugs for coffee/tea,
@STUKA is providing the propane cook stove,
@PNWShooter is bringing muffins and cookies,
@FordPrefect is providing 20 burgers & buns, AND coffee
@Bodyguard is bringing a small table, coffee pot and Colman stove
@Cogs is bringing a couple tables, canopy, paper plates, napkins, forks, & hand sanitizer.
@OregonQuartermaster a 3'x6' table I can bring, as well as a 10'x10' canopy AND Sign-in Att.

Cogs

Hi @Cogs. I can also help with hauling out some trash with my Tacoma.

Welcome to the forum, Fenrir! Glad to have you on board! And thanks for hookin up with this cleanup!

We'll be hauling the trash back to the meeting area where a Clackamas County Dump Stoppers truck will be and we'll load into that truck.

How much ammo? Gee, who knows? Just bring enough. :)

I'm not sure where we can go to shoot, after the BBQ. There isn't anything real close by. Lunch will be back at base camp where we'll be right between the river and highway so can't shoot there. We could go down to the 36 pit but it's rather a short distance (might get 50 yrds at one angle). Otherwise, it might have to be up the Fish Creek Rd to some spot up there. Hopefully, someone else has more knowledge about where to shoot up there.
36 Pit would be fine

I think this cleanup is going to be a lot to ask of you folks. It's not like the other simple cleanups we've done in the past, where we mostly stay at one site. This project is going to send us way up the hill and the terrain is rough once you get there. Not so much the roads but the tromping through the brush and woods. It's dark up there. A lot of thick trees. Shooting places are close together so we need to watch out for any other shooting near by. Skip it if you don't feel safe and practice situational awareness.

I'm not trying to scare you off, I'm just letting you know this may not be an easy walk in the park. Still, it needs to be done and I'm hoping we will be of some encouragement to others who see us and realize what we're doing is the right thing to do.

So however many people we have, at this cleanup, we'll do our best to speak loud and clear our opposition to the abuse of our kind of recreation and to the abuse of our public land.

I know I sure appreciate those of you who recreate responsibly. You're giving us a good name!

Thanks for your help!

Bill

We can always just stick with 36 Pit, or all go up Fish Creek to stick together, depending on the turnout. If there are not too many folks, then that would make the most sense. We'll just see how it goes and decide then.

We need some help to make this event happen. Please post if you can provide any of these?

• BBQ equipment
  • Cook & Cooks Assistant
  • Sign-in Attendant
  • Director of Parking
  • Burgers, hot dogs, buns, condiments, & chips
  • Salad(s)
  • A 1 or 2 burner Propane cook stove (to cook the coffee and tea water)
  • Propane coffee pot and coffee
  • Water (drinking bottles and for coffee & tea)
  • Donuts and cookies
  • Snack bars
So far, @NeverGoinBack is providing a couple cases of drinking water and some jugs for coffee/tea. Thanks! We'll need it! It's July!

Cogs
This will be my first time attending one of these. Looks like maybe 15 or so will be attending as of today. What is needed most in the way of food etc?

This will be my first time attending one of these. Looks like maybe 15 or so will be attending as of today. What is needed most in the way of food etc?
Check post #71 above. If you can help with any of the items it will be appreciated. Thanks. Glad to have you joining this event.

Cogs

Last Edited:
Watch for these signs along Hwy 224 just past Estacada. The meeting place will be right next to the highway just after the first green bridge you cross about 16 miles after Estacada.

Direction Signs.jpg

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads