JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
got all packed this morning to head to the clean up after stopping by Velzey's to pick up my barrel. Annnnd its next week. :oops:
Yeah, I think we may have gotten a little messed up by the pop-up flier on the home page that indicated it was This Saturday and not Next Sat.

Yep, practice makes perfect!

So, with the day off, did you go shooting anyway?

I have a 3'x6' table I can bring, as well as a 10'x10' canopy. I plan on getting some shooting in after we're all done. I'm happy to be tasked with whatever needs doing once we get there.

I have a 3'x6' table I can bring, as well as a 10'x10' canopy. I plan on getting some shooting in after we're all done. I'm happy to be tasked with whatever needs doing once we get there.
Great, OregonQ! Wanna show up a little early to set up the canopy's? You could take charge of the Sign-in Attendant position. It doesn't pay worth-a-darn, but, you get to meet everyone!

I'll be setting up about 8 am.

Great, OregonQ! Wanna show up a little early to set up the canopy's? You could take charge of the Sign-in Attendant position. It doesn't pay worth-a-darn, but, you get to meet everyone!

I'll be setting up about 8 am.

I'll be there with bells on. Tactical bells.

got all packed this morning to head to the clean up after stopping by Velzey's to pick up my barrel. Annnnd its next week. :oops:

your just SOOOO excited to do these aren't you? LOL.

I'm going to try and make it up there I think. Work has slowed and I can take Saturday off.

Curious @Cogs, the parking area you have marked on the map is the place right next to the Clack that they use for staging white water events up there? How far are we reaching out to cleanup sites? Guess I'll learn some new places if I get up there eh?

Trip to the meeting and cleanup sites today. Not happy with the crud I saw. More than we can handle in one day! We'll just have to do what we can and not worry about the rest.

Meet here, on the right, just after the first bridge on Hwy 224. It's about 16 miles East of Estacada.
Mt Hood 7-23-16 1.jpg

There. Where my blue truck is parked. (Gee, I hope no one is camping there next Sat morning!).
Mt Hood 7-23-16 2.jpg

The 36 Pit is a mess. Lots of people there today. This is one of 3 different groups.
Mt Hood 7-23-16 3.jpg

From the meeting site, some of us will head East on 224 and hang a right on Fish Creek Rd. It narrows to a single lane paved road and winds up the hill. We'll come to some Y's in the road and that's where we go into action. Pick a Y. Any 'ol Y. Spots all over the place with lots of trash. Many spots are highly illegal with no backstops and shooting trees. It is what it is.
Mt Hood 7-23-16 4.jpg
Look legal to you? There's a road just past that green bottle on the stump! Not knowing is no excuse!
Mt Hood 7-23-16 5.jpg

Mt Hood 7-23-16 6.jpg

Mt Hood 7-23-16 7.jpg
There were a lot of shooters up there today. I talked with most of them. Lots of good folks. Hopefully some will join us on Saturday. Spread the word! We're gonna need some help!

Cogs

I think we're going to need some pickup trucks on the hill up Fish Creek Rd. We'll need to haul the trash back to the meeting spot and load it to the Dump Stoppers truck there. I'd hate to see Dave try to get that big truck all the way up there and chase us around all the Y roads!

Meanwhile, back at 36 Pit, Dump Stoppers can load right at the pit and meet us back at home base just before lunch.

Pickups! We need pickup trucks!

Said Y roads are after the staging area. Right?
Yes. Way past. Pavement runs all the way up the hill. The Y roads start up there. Shooting spots are fairly close to the beginning of each Y road. Still, you could go a long way down each gravel road and find more spots. We're best to get just the first ones, at each Y, and see how we are doing for time.

I am planning on being there. I am also new to the area and the forum.

I have a Toyota Tundra but no idea where to drop off trash and a AR500 dueling tree I have never used but can bring.

For the after shoot, how much ammo should I bring?

I don't imagine we'll be doing an intensive training session. I'll bring a few mags per gun if anyone wants to try them out.

I am curious though if anyone else was planning on bring their "junk drawer" for a sort of swap meet. Could be fun. (Just to clarify: I know conducting any kind of "sales" on BLM land is a no-no, but a few trades here and there between like minded people doesn't seem like much to fuss over.)

Last Edited:
I am planning on being there. I am also new to the area and the forum.

I have a Toyota Tundra but no idea where to drop off trash and a AR500 dueling tree I have never used but can bring.

Welcome to the forum, Fenrir! Glad to have you on board! And thanks for hookin up with this cleanup!

We'll be hauling the trash back to the meeting area where a Clackamas County Dump Stoppers truck will be and we'll load into that truck.

How much ammo? Gee, who knows? Just bring enough. :)

I'm not sure where we can go to shoot, after the BBQ. There isn't anything real close by. Lunch will be back at base camp where we'll be right between the river and highway so can't shoot there. We could go down to the 36 pit but it's rather a short distance (might get 50 yrds at one angle). Otherwise, it might have to be up the Fish Creek Rd to some spot up there. Hopefully, someone else has more knowledge about where to shoot up there.

I think this cleanup is going to be a lot to ask of you folks. It's not like the other simple cleanups we've done in the past, where we mostly stay at one site. This project is going to send us way up the hill and the terrain is rough once you get there. Not so much the roads but the tromping through the brush and woods. It's dark up there. A lot of thick trees. Shooting places are close together so we need to watch out for any other shooting near by. Skip it if you don't feel safe and practice situational awareness.

I'm not trying to scare you off, I'm just letting you know this may not be an easy walk in the park. Still, it needs to be done and I'm hoping we will be of some encouragement to others who see us and realize what we're doing is the right thing to do.

So however many people we have, at this cleanup, we'll do our best to speak loud and clear our opposition to the abuse of our kind of recreation and to the abuse of our public land.

I know I sure appreciate those of you who recreate responsibly. You're giving us a good name!

Thanks for your help!

Bill

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top