JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions

"Unethical hunting, even if it's strictly speaking legal, makes all hunters look bad," Lemon said. "It kind of gives hunting as a whole a bit of a black eye."

There's a large field of grass just outside the city of Ukiah OR where the Ukiah Hwy meets Hwy 395. For some stupid reason, herds of elk congregate there. And there have been incidents in the past of "hunters" parking on the roadside and shooting up the herd, indiscriminately laying a bunch of them out, cows, bulls, calves, all, some bullets killing or wounding more than one animal. Then they try to figure out if they have a tag that matches the kill... usually not, and State Troopers are called to break it up.

Buncha slobs if you ask me...

WTF??? 100 hunters?? How do you get 100 hunters near a herd of elk? Sounds like a Bunny Bash type of scenario that used to happen in Southern Idaho in the 70's and 80's.

My grandpa tells me about inadvertently being involved in one of those. He was hunting private land and accidentally crossed over to public land, the sheriff gave him two choices-get a large citation (he was an Oregon resident, or take these two boxes of 12ga and join us for the rest of the day. Needless to say, he joined about a hundred others and felt bad about the carnage but it was his "civic duty"

I have seen that happen on Forest Service and BLM land, but the article states it was Block Management, private property. It's amazing how the fever gets ahold of people. I once witnessed a group of 6 hunters open up on one cow elk, literally turning her into hamburger. I drew elk and deer tags in Montana this year, but I'll be hunting private ground, an old rancher friend I grew up with in Montana. Keep away from the crazy crowds.

Bill

Old thread, but...
There were times, back when, ('60s-'70s?) just a few miles North of Jackson Hole Wy. when there were so many elk on the refuge in winter that they couldn't feed them all. To keep elk from starving they would hold a special hunt. Guys would be out there with their trucks lined up waiting for the elk to come through and take their animal. Imagine the uproar that would ensue these days if word got out. They may still do it, quietly, for all I know.

Let's not forget the old "Firing Line" near Gardiner, MT. That is a thing of the past. They put a stop to it a long time ago, but then the introduction of wolves into the park pretty much thinned out the elk.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top