JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was in second grade at Hoover Elementary School in So Oregon, I had a teacher that was difficult.
Her name was Dora Mae Shepard.

She was an older gal and definitely did not like kids, at least not me, and I recall her growling at the entire classroom one day. She growled at me often and I was issued demerits frequently.

Maybe there was something that happened to her to make her so angry, and maybe I just didn't understand. I was only about 8 years old, so I could have misinterpreted something or mis read her.

I remember every morning she had us stand up, put our hands over our hearts, and say the Pledge of Allegiance.
After that we all sang "My country tis of thee."

Just the first component:

My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!

I hadn't really given it much thought until the last couple years, but now I think about it every day.

Maybe she wasn't entirely off track.
Maybe she was just angry with how things were in her world...

Red... She may have been a tough old gal on you kids.. but she seems.. to have been traveling the right path..
Had a teacher in elementary school much like her.. and ended up being good friends later in life..

At my kid's Elementary school the new Principal stopped the Pledge of Allegiance except for assemblies. Says it wastes time. She also makes it a point to speak Spanish A LOT to the Hispanic Kids. How is that helping them learn English and assimilate? I'm beginning to think she's a hater, white guilt type. I try to do a bit of de-programming with my kids whenever subjects arise on poverty, homelessness, racism history etc.. I try to give them both sides unlike the tide of one sided progressive waste that they get bombarded with in the schools and the pop culture that sadly America has become since Dora Mae Shepard taught in Second grade.

When I was in second grade at Hoover Elementary School in So Oregon, I had a teacher that was difficult.
Her name was Dora Mae Shepard.

She was an older gal and definitely did not like kids, at least not me, and I recall her growling at the entire classroom one day. She growled at me often and I was issued demerits frequently.

Maybe there was something that happened to her to make her so angry, and maybe I just didn't understand. I was only about 8 years old, so I could have misinterpreted something or mis read her.

I remember every morning she had us stand up, put our hands over our hearts, and say the Pledge of Allegiance.
After that we all sang "My country tis of thee."

Just the first component:

My country, 'tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing;
Land where my fathers died,
Land of the pilgrims' pride,
From ev'ry mountainside
Let freedom ring!

I hadn't really given it much thought until the last couple years, but now I think about it every day.

Maybe she wasn't entirely off track.
Maybe she was just angry with how things were in her world...

Those were real teachers. We learned from them. They could nail you with an eraser from 30 feet and never miss :)
Kept our attention where it belonged.

Mine was Mrs. Moore, Forth Grade.

I missed one word, in reciting the Poem "In Flanders Field's"

i must go now, it suddenly became very misty in here.... That damn president... Closing Flanders Fields, he does not deserve one Hundredth of the respect I have for Mrs. Moore, your teacher... Taku's 30 foot eraser toss Queen...

philip

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below. We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields. Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.