JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I recently picked up a Swampfox "Justice" MRD that I planned on putting on a Mossberg 930 because it will supposedly stand up to some thumping. I also like the idea of a large field of view.
So I got to wondering how would it work on a carbine as opposed to a prism RDS.

I know you guys know, so would you mind explaining it to me?

This is pretty uncharted territory for me, so kindly use small words. ;)

Thank you.

You can mount an MRDS on a carbine as your primary sight. However, the advantages of an MRDS are somewhat lost on a carbine. The advantages of an MRDS are the small size and light weight that make it ideal for a pistol. That comes at a cost of durability compared to the small RDS sights designed for rifles. You are also running an open emitter versus a closed emitter which means it's more susceptible to the dot being obscured by dirt, mud, snow, or rain blocking the emitter.

Some MRDS sights have hoods you can install to give the sight more protection but it's still an open emitter sight.

Some people use an MRDS on an offset mount to supplement a low-power variable optic (scope) for fast, close-in shooting.

If you've got an MRDS and that's your only option, it will work. However, if I were buying something for the purpose, I would look at something different.

A regular sized open emitter red dot is a fine sight for a carbine. The micro ones popping up might not be the greatest, but should still do the trick.

When it comes to RDS, I prefer a closed emitter for a primary sight on a long gun. I'm using Aimpoint Micros on one of my go-to carbines and my 1301 street howitzer. My RMRs are on my pistols or as a back-up to a LPVO or ACOG.

I recently picked up a Swampfox "Justice" MRD that I planned on putting on a Mossberg 930 because it will supposedly stand up to some thumping. I also like the idea of a large field of view.
So I got to wondering how would it work on a carbine as opposed to a prism RDS.

I know you guys know, so would you mind explaining it to me?

This is pretty uncharted territory for me, so kindly use small words. ;)

Thank you.

just as an FYI, a shotgun puts roughly 1/10th the force on an optic that a semi-auto 9mm pistol does. You should have no issue with that on a shotgun. I have a Sig Romeo1Pro on my 935 and it's been a blast. You will want to watch for open vs closed emitter though. You will have less issues with a closed emitter system. Especially in adverse weather conditions.

I bought one of these little (handgun sized) ADE ones for my 10.5" Brn-180 cuz I wanted a slim sight and it's been great. Under $70 and company is in Oregon city (built in China I assume though). Adjustable Green dot very bright and not all big and fuzzy. Haven't beat it up yet or anything but has held zero on the Brn-180 and ar15. If you want a go to war thing or are the kind of person not happy with any optic under $500 it may not be a good fit. Lots of other ones on their website linked below that I'm not familiar with.
02277AA9-FFF3-4245-9409-62C3CB619657.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads