JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Damn I had not seen this one til now. Amazing the LEO was not hurt. Damn shame the tax payers now have to support the scum. Also shows yet again, the danger of thinking a hand gun will stop someone with one hit. He was hit multiple times, not sure where but multiple hits, and is alive. I can see how this would happen. Most who are Monday morning the LEO have never done the job. Most go months or years, nothing close to this happens. Finally one time some kook goes off with no real warning. If they knocked on every door with gun drawn it would soon be all over the news, 24/7 how the Cops were "looking to shoot" someone.

"If you aren't shooting you should be reloading. If you aren't reloading you should be moving. If you aren't moving somebody's gonna come cut your head off and put it on a stick."
--Clint Smith

Except, you don't call the police because someone needs counseling. You call them because there's something going bad and it needs to stop, typically, with physical intervention needed, and possibly a gun.

Sometimes, violence IS the answer.

A social worker would be effective if the perpetrator(s) sought them out during regular circumstances. When a situation has transpired to the point police are called, it's past the time for social work.

When my elderly parents (RIP) left their phone off the hook accidentally for a prolonged time and I lived 1000 miles away I called their local police for a wellness check. Just saying that not all wellness checks are for mental health problems. How many social workers do you think most normal city's have on call 7/24?
If the situation had been due to a home invasion would I have wanted a social worker checking on them?
FWIW they were more careful about putting the hand piece back in the cradle.

When the police respond to a situation such as I described once the situation has been resolved everyone can go about their lives. If you involve a social worker you maybe just creating a big mess IMHO.

Except, you don't call the police because someone needs counseling. You call them because there's something going bad and it needs to stop, typically, with physical intervention needed, and possibly a gun.

Sometimes, violence IS the answer.

A social worker would be effective if the perpetrator(s) sought them out during regular circumstances. When a situation has transpired to the point police are called, it's past the time for social work.

An interesting and possibly viable model for the "social worker" situation is what you find with probation and parole officers. They are trained to deal with people that have all sorts of mental health and addiction issues. They are used to going to homes and have a certain "bedside manner". They make referrals for all sorts of treatment and other interventions. They are required to have knowledge of various assistance programs to include housing. They do risk assessments, behavior observations, etc.

They are also trained in defensive tactics and the use of firearms and know how to arrest resisting or combative people. Its an interesting hybrid of social work and law enforcement.

When my elderly parents (RIP) left their phone off the hook accidentally for a prolonged time and I lived 1000 miles away I called their local police for a wellness check. Just saying that not all wellness checks are for mental health problems. How many social workers do you think most normal city's have on call 7/24?
If the situation had been due to a home invasion would I have wanted a social worker checking on them?
FWIW they were more careful about putting the hand piece back in the cradle.

When the police respond to a situation such as I described once the situation has been resolved everyone can go about their lives. If you involve a social worker you maybe just creating a big mess IMHO.

So you are agreeing with me, but also asking me questions in a manner that seems counterclaim to your agreement with me. I'm confused.

An interesting and possibly viable model for the "social worker" situation is what you find with probation and parole officers. They are trained to deal with people that have all sorts of mental health and addiction issues. They are used to going to homes and have a certain "bedside manner". They make referrals for all sorts of treatment and other interventions. They are required to have knowledge of various assistance programs to include housing. They do risk assessments, behavior observations, etc.

They are also trained in defensive tactics and the use of firearms and know how to arrest resisting or combative people. Its an interesting hybrid of social work and law enforcement.

I naturally lean away from the state/city doing more for people. In my opinion, the reason why we have the great messes we have is because people don't have any personal responsibility, someone, or some agency is always bailing them out with services.

I naturally lean away from the state/city doing more for people. In my opinion, the reason why we have the great messes we have is because people don't have any personal responsibility, someone, or some agency is always bailing them out with services.

There are actually a bunch of non-profit groups that provide services and assistance. They typically do it more efficiently than the government. I don't think they get much support because they are typically run by religious groups.

There are actually a bunch of non-profit groups that provide services and assistance. They typically do it more efficiently than the government. I don't think they get much support because they are typically run by religious groups.

That would be successful. Involving the government anything is just a recipe for failure.

YEP!!!
They tend to be many fold more efficient but, they also do not teach people to be dependent on the Government agency. So they of course are shunned by people who want more Government. When I hear people "cry" about the scum setting up camps and the mess they leave I mention this. Those same "poor homeless" have options. Only problem is most of the places offering help come with rules. The campers do not want rules. So they would rather live in the filth they do, with hand out of course for free money. :mad:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top