JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
so here is the question, you arrive onsite of an active shooter, you can id the shooter but they are out of effective range. are you going to go running up shots blazing until you get in range?

So, can you be 100% sure this guy is an active shooter? He could be:

1) Part of a training drill.
2) Pulling a prank with a paintball gun
3) Citizen CHL defending himself
4) Plainsclothes LEO engaging criminal

This is why we seek verbal compliance before shooting. Yes it gives an adversary time to react. But the alternative is potentially shooting an innocent person.

Next, can you be sure no bystanders or arriving police will mistake you for the active shooter? Many people are not aware of citizen CHL. Any man a gun will appear to be the shooter. A mob may tackle you and try to shoot you with your own gun.

For those reasons, really only a uniformed LEO can safely approach an active shooter. I would only respond if already in range, and only if my life depended on it. Others are welcome to their choices, but keep it safe.

Another point to ponder; we are trained to hit center of mass, or center of available mass. But this may not always be the correct thing to do.

Take an IPSC target and turn it about 45 degrees, if one goes for center mass i.e. A zone, you won't hit any vitals. You'll need to look at placing your shots in the B or better yet the C zone, to get the desired results. So fold up your targets to get contorted hit zone shapes, and practice with targets angled, or better yet make up some 3d targets.

Last Edited:
Kyle Lamb was at my state firearms instructor training last week, and I had a chance to bend his ear a few times.
I asked him about shooting on the move. He said he could recall shooting on the move when first making entry in building, when threats were near where they entered. But other than that, it was move, set then shoot.

He does do some moving drills, but being accurate requires being close to your target as well as being an easy target, which he prefers not to be.

If you have checked out his videos, you'll see his emphasis is on multiple targets which requires smooth yet snapping movement to each target.

He does do some moving drills, but being accurate requires being close to your target as well as being an easy target, which he prefers not to be.

That was always my problem with shooting while moving. You are moving, which kills your accuracy, even and especially at close range, and your target usually isn't. You give him the advantage. I've seldom had good outcomes from this.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top