JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Here is what you need to know. The five counties, making up the Seattle metropolitan area, surrounding Puget Sound are about as liberal as California. The population of those five counties is big enough to outvote all the rest of the state. Therefore the governor of the state almost always comes from Seattle and was probably either a former Seattle mayor or former King County executive.

in the past this state has generally had moderate gun laws. It is a shall-issue state and has a preemption clause that prevents municipalities from concocting their own crazy rules. But due to the changes in politics over the last few years, the west part of the state has begun to push for California style gun laws. Because of their overwhelming number of voters, some of those laws are beginning to be passed here. Washington has citizen initiatives. Therefore, they don't need to get their laws passed in the legislature. They just need to get enough signatures to get it on the ballot and then vote.

I am neither Democrat nor Republican. But we have had so many Democratic governors in a row that I'd really like to see a Republican get it for a while, just to balance out the political environment. But the Republican Party in this state has a bad habit of putting their craziest people on the ballot. So they never even have a chance.

Welcome to Washington! I really mean that. I am a lifelong resident of the state and really love it. I hope you find it to be a good place to live.

Back to your actual question, I would say that your AR is the main thing you need to be concerned about. There has been a lot of noise lately about a ban that would include your AR15. There has also been a lot of noise about a mandatory safe storage law. As for a carry permit, called a Concealed Pistol License in this state, they are fairly easy to get. There is no mandatory training required. And since this is a shall-issue state, if you pass the background check you will get your permit. In this state you go to your local law enforcement agency to fill out the papers. Except in Seattle, of course. In Seattle you must go to the main police building in downtown Seattle. Everywhere else, you can just go to your closest law-enforcement office.

As for a carry permit, called a Concealed Pistol License in this state, they are fairly easy to get. There is no mandatory training required. And since this is a shall-issue state, if you pass the background check you will get your permit.

For now. I'd give that a few years, when they get around to eliminating or curbing it and making it "may issue" or other measures.

We had a Republican majority in the Senate, what, 3 years ago? Seems like forever.

In the past 28 years, the Dems have controlled the state Senate for 20 of them. But during this same time, we've had Dem. governors all along and they get to appoint something like 880 state executive positions which exercise a lot of administrative control. Those years the GOP had the Senate, gun control measures were scant.

It's so true. I have friends that quit their jobs as policemen in Seattle and moved from there because they are handcuffed from doing their jobs and forced by leftist policy to look the other way and instead focus on generating revenue writing traffic tickets instead of responding to crime and protecting the public. They are fed up. God help them if the have to use any sort of force in defense of themselves or others. They Don't have the support of the political appointees that oversee the police department or the leftist city council or the left-wing residents of the city who constantly berate them screaming police brutality. I really feel sorry for these officers that are forced to live there and put up with that crap while risking their lives and careers on a daily.basis. The criminals and large population of drug addicts and mental patients walking the streets are emboldened by the city's hands off policy. There's not a day goes by that I don't see someone shooting up heroin in the open on city streets and discarding syringes for unsuspecting victims to hazard upon. It's disgusting. Filth everywhere, garbage and human waste strewn all over. I have personally watched people stop, drop their pants and relieve themselves in business doorways, on sidewalks and city streets. Unbelievable!

I was in Seattle a little over a year ago, turned my head to look before crossing a street and on the opposite corner, there was a guy taking a crap on the side of a building. This was in the not-seedy downtown area.

This is what happens when the police aren't allowed to enforce the laws due to political considerations. All laws are on the books for a reason. When the pols start ignoring the "little ones" for political gain or correctness, it all starts to go downhill. The "broken window" theory is for real. Once these vagrants and deadbeats see they can get away with one thing, they go to the next level. As only one example, this is how graffiti has become so rampant in Seattle in such a short time. You never used to see that crap in Seattle, it was something for east LA. Not anymore.

And to have police who are reluctant to enforce due to possible personal consequences to themselves and their pensions, that's tragic.

The attitudes here are apathetic especially on the right. Recently, while visiting a FFL's store, One customer had signed a voter list to repeal I-1639 and the counter lady presented the list to another customer. That customer shook his head and told her he's not registered to vote. The first customer told the other he could sign up on the phone and it would take five minutes.

The guy refused. He stated his vote would be useless in this state.

This is not good. But surely it's understandable. It's kinda related to the idea of political resistance in Communist eastern Europe pre-1990. People were so beaten down that with a few rare and momentous eruptions, individual resistance was considered pretty futile. Get the comparison to the Communist dictatorship and what's happening here.

But we have had so many Democratic governors in a row that I'd really like to see a Republican get it for a while,

Hey, we almost had one with Dino Rossi. One of the times he ran against Christine Gregoire. He won the first two vote counts, but when they did the second recount (third count), it was decided that Gregoire had won. This is where some of those 880 state executive positions come into play.

Most larger cities have drop boxes at their city hall and other buildings. It a bit of time reading up on the current issues contained on the ballot. Once I do some research, I fill out my ballot, seal it up and and put it in a drop box on my way to work. I am not sure if other smaller cities have drop boxes or if you have to mail the ballot in.

Some famous communist said something along the lines of It Doesn't Matter How You Vote.... IT MATTERS WHO IS IN CONTROL Of THE BALLOT BOX. Remember: Dino won twice until they magically discovered another bag of "misplaced" ballots and did a 3rd count that magically gave them the results the wanted ( Gregoire winning by a few bites). Car tab limits initiatives( overturned and challenged in court several times by those in power) , State sponsored Heroine Shooting Galleries- rejected by the people( challenged in court by people in.power and ruled we don't have standing because of Nanny States claim it's a Health issue!) Many times the Powers challeng successful Initiatives limiting their power on the basis that they have already committed funds and secured Bonds and court overturns so they can keep your illegal taxes they snuck through. They always say this is a temporary tax, but once you find out the project they are funding isn't what they said it was it's too late... then you find out they have the power to extend it forever based upon recommitting bonds and the cycle repeats itself( Sound transit/ Light Rail Boondoggle) The list goes on and on. Everytime the people challenge something the people in power take it to court and challenge it on a technicality and their accomplices on the Bench throw out the vote of the people. The Attorney General is responsible for reviewing any initiative on the ballot and approving/ assigning wording and title. He is also assigned to represent the people if they win and the initiative vote is challenged. That my friends, is The Fox Watching The Henhouse. Bob Ferguson fails miserably here as he is a solid backer of the Democrat Machine in this state and also a strong anti-gun/anti-2nd Ammendment advocate. It's a very corrupt system in Washington state. Power Corrupts... Absolute Power Corrupts Absolutely!

The people in power( The Ruling Class) have contempt for the people .Theyhave forgotten that we are the People and they are supposed to be working for us. Many times they have proposed doing away with the People's Initiative process
( how dare we challenge their power or God forbid, try to have a say in what we want or don't want!).... They have it " backasswards! We are just supposed to be their piggyback... "Just shut-up and give us the money!"
I find it Ironic and Hypocritical that they now use this same initiative process they want to eliminate us from having access to) to go after our gun rights or fund their pet project they can't get through in the Legislative Process.

One final observation: They take money from the General Fund to subsidize things the people would never approve. Then they put Bond measures on the ballot to give you a choice of whether to pay for basic services that they should be providing through the General Fund( Schools,Fire,Police,911, Medic 1 Emergency services,Parks,Public Utilities water/sewer, and other public necessities you absolutely don't or can't go without. For years they took the gas taxes and vehicle registration fees designated to be used for road and bridge maintenance and put it in General Fund instead to be used illegally for other purposes. Now they come to us and say our transportation infrastructure is crumbling and they need more money. They are presently planning on making every road in this state a toll road and we will be charged to drive by the mile with higher surcharges during designated times.
They are also trying desperately to get an Income Tax enacted which is in direct conflict with our States Constitution in spite of it having been rejected numerous times and forbidden so far by court rulings. They are relentless, and it's only a matter of time, as I said it's a very corrupt system and the stack the deck and deal us the cards

They are also trying desperately to get an Income Tax enacted which is in direct conflict with our States Constitution in spite of it having been rejected numerous times and forbidden so far by court rulings. They are relentless, and it's only a matter of time, as I said it's a very corrupt system and the stack the deck and deal us the cards

There's a saying I heard once in the context of legislative proposals that repeatedly get introduced (like firearm regs): They only have to win once while we have to win every time.

I also moved due to job opportunities which coincidentally resulted in a higher freedom state than the place I was, but I can also understand that people who need to put bread on the table for their family or fund their retirement might have to move to a less free state.

do not move here, this state is the next California. I don't care how much your new job pays, there is a better state than Washington with the same job. You will be sorry. And yes I know Texas very well lived there and served there for a good while

Hi everybody! Just now logging back on to the form and yes, I am paying attention for sure! Unfortunately, it's too late for me to back out of my job and the experience is necessary as I am young and need a job ! So unfortunately, regardless of the pending situation in Washington regarding gun control, I will be coming here! And for what it's worth I have convinced some of my buddies to move up here as well. Not exactly the "reinforcements" you all need up there, but it's something! Hoping that the "anti- AR" legislation will hold off for another year (being optimistic here). But I will probably move to back to Texas in a year or two- MAYBE 3 (unlikely)! With all that being said, I will vote and I will try to bring the best of Texas with me (NOT Beto!!!) Also for those of you that may be considering Texas also note that while right now we remain red, that will likely change as my many tech companies are moving to Austin and tons of Californians have begun moving over here and putting libs in office. Beto nearly defeated Cruz in Texas this past election! Like many of you said, we need to need to put common sense into people and make them understand the implications of giving their rights away to the government and that banning AR's (or any firearms) will NOT get rid of them... just the legal ones taken from us law-abiding owners... Again, thank you everyone for your comments they have all been greatly appreciated and trust me, I am certainly taking them in!!

You will be very welcome addition as far as we are concerned
Be careful though, some Lib you work with might run and tell somebody you're "scary" if they find out you are pro-gun . They got that " red flag " stuff going on here...just another excuse and way to go after your guns and limit your rights

Move to Idaho

NOOOOOOOooooooooooo!!!!

This is the real problem right there. Far more than the "we are outnumbered" is the people who long ago gave up. Don't even have to find a stamp to vote anymore and still a lot of people who should just refuse to bother. Then they wonder why we lose.:s0054:

Here in E. OR I am vastly outnumbered by the vote in the I5 corridor. But I will never give up. Never stop voting. It is not only a right, but a citizen's responsibility!!

Better off staying in Texas!

For now. In 10 years there will be noplace safe. Even flyover country is being bought up by hedge funds, and corporations, and then is "gentrified".

I'm not worried about that. Where I'm going they don't put up with that crap. They won't follow because they don't want to leave their blue urban cesspools.Thry rely on groupthink, government handouts, and having people take care of them and make decisions for them. The are not self sufficient, couldn't feed themselves without grocery stores,fast-food outlets, and food stamps. They can defend themselves and rely on goverrnt to do everything for them. When and if they get their little left-wing Utopia., They will cause a major colapse. Their well will find dry, there will be chaos in the streets and the only people that will have guns will be the badguys.... So good luck with that.They will then find out that their little dream wasn't such a great idea...imagine their surprise LOL. The only good thing that will come out of it is they might discover that the police they continually vilify maybe aren't that bad after all. They'll certainly be crying for one when they have to deal with the aftermath of their grand illusion come to fruition..meanwhile the rest of us will be just fine no matter where we go or where we are.Darwin's survival of the fittest theme comes to mind. We will survive no matter what they do. They will cause there own downfall, but we won't be going along for the ride on their crazytrain.

I'm looking forward to living in a free state where you are allowed to think for yourself,breath clean air, less traffic, less crime, and less regulation.hope to be there by summer. People are excited I'm coming. I know how to be a good neighbor and I've been told by those that are already there that I can expect the same. I guess it's true you get what you give

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top