JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello everyone! I am new here from Texas and will be moving up to the Seattle area for work in April! Obviously, Texas and Washington are 2 very different places when it comes to legislation... I will be moving up in April and will be hauling in a 10.3" barrel ar-15, scar, a few shotguns and handguns. Is there anything I need to know in terms of mandatory training, registration, looming ban of high cap mags, etc? From my understanding Washington's current gun laws aren't nearly as bad as CA and NY. Also is there anything I need to know regarding general laws and transporting firearms into the state via myself or the moving company!— or differences from Texas' legislation. Any tips would be great!
thanks!!

Welcome to NWFA. :)

I'm not 100% sure about the 10.3"AR, but there is no registration in WA. As for "high cap" mags, they are currently legal. If they are yours, and your moving here, bring 'em with you and don't say anything to anyone about them in the Seattle area, until you get to know them.

This state, especially Seattle area, is a totally different world than Texas.

Lots of folks on this forum in that area. Hopefully some will reach out to you.

Again, welcome!

:s0090:

Welcome to NWFA. :)

I'm not 100% sure about the 10.3"AR, but there is no registration in WA. As for "high cap" mags, they are currently legal. If they are yours, and your moving here, bring 'em with you and don't say anything to anyone about them in the Seattle area, until you get to know them.

This state, especially Seattle area, is a totally different world than Texas.

Lots of folks on this forum in that area. Hopefully some will reach out to you.

Again, welcome!

:s0090:
Thank you so much!

Hello everyone! I am new here from Texas and will be moving up to the Seattle area for work in April! Obviously, Texas and Washington are 2 very different places when it comes to legislation... I will be moving up in April and will be hauling in a 10.3" barrel ar-15, scar, a few shotguns and handguns. Is there anything I need to know in terms of mandatory training, registration, looming ban of high cap mags, etc? From my understanding Washington's current gun laws aren't nearly as bad as CA and NY. Also is there anything I need to know regarding general laws and transporting firearms into the state via myself or the moving company!— or differences from Texas' legislation. Any tips would be great!
thanks!!
Assuming the AR is a pistol? If so no problem with any of the stuff yet. If's its a registered SBR they are OK as long as you jump the hoops. You can get a permit to carry a handgun with no training. Just fill out the forms and wait for the check to go. As mentioned the traffic around the cities is becoming like LA though. Hopefully your work will be out of the city. If not it's a mess.

If your AR is an NFA-registered SBR then you need to file the ATF form asking the ATF for permission to take it across state lines.
Presently no requirement to register your guns when you arrive here. I would buy what you want before coming here.

The WA legislature will be considering an AW ban, a mag ban and a BGC on ammo this legislative period. Things may change considerably by the time you get here as every election cycle, the legislature seems to march increasingly to the left.

This state is totally run and controlled by Democrats and ,as such, they never saw a antigun proposal they didn't like. The Uber left Seattle area voters skew the voting and dictates outcomes that ram these proposals down the throat of the remaining citizens in this state. It's like death by a thousand papercuts and as soon as they pass one of their so called" sensible gun safety laws" they come out with a new proposal or initiative funded by local millionaires and outside state billionaires under the guise of being a " grassroots campaign. The left-wing media is complicent in misinformation and help and support promoting these proposals. If you disagree with anything they say or how they think they will go to any extreme to discredit and quiet you. If you don't tow the left-wing line the will attack you in ways that are staggering to the imagination including posting false negative reviews of businesses, boycotts, propaganda campaigns, demonstrations that often turn violent including vandalism and physical assaults, doxing and hacking are also not uncommon in social media. You have to be very careful sharing your opinion publicly lest someone file a false safety complaint based upon their personal fear which is based upon their beliefs that your first Ammendment Rights only extend to whatever they agree with. I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 68 years and hardly recognize the state I grew up in. It certainly is not my idea of the USA and everything it's stands for that I love and cherish. It is quickly developing towards a 3rd world left-wing dictatorship, complete with the unchecked crime, garbage,homelessness, drugs and high taxes and fees to redistribute other people's money to their pet causes. That unfortunately my opinion of what you have to look forward to in moving here. I wish you.luck my friend. I am considering moving to Idaho in an attempt to escape the lunacy here and rejoin "America"

Assuming these laws do get passed, high cap mags and assault weapons do get grandfathered in right? I took a look at WA legislative agenda for 2019. Also saw that it was on their 2018 agenda as well! Gotta buy up in Texas while I can

This state is totally run and controlled by Democrats and ,as such, they never saw a antigun proposal they didn't like. The Uber left Seattle area voters skew the voting and dictates outcomes that ram these proposals down the throat of the remaining citizens in this state. It's like death by a thousand papercuts and as soon as they pass one of their so called" sensible gun safety laws" they come out with a new proposal or initiative funded by local millionaires and outside state billionaires under the guise of being a " grassroots campaign. The left-wing media is complicent in misinformation and help and support promoting these proposals. If you disagree with anything they say or how they think they will go to any extreme to discredit and quiet you. If you don't tow the left-wing line the will attack you in ways that are staggering to the imagination including posting false negative reviews of businesses, boycotts, propaganda campaigns, demonstrations that often turn violent including vandalism and physical assaults, doxing and hacking are also not uncommon in social media. You have to be very careful sharing your opinion publicly lest someone file a false safety complaint based upon their personal fear which is based upon their beliefs that your first Ammendment Rights only extend to whatever they agree with. I have lived in the Pacific Northwest for 68 years and hardly recognize the state I grew up in. It certainly is not my idea of the USA and everything it's stands for that I love and cherish. It is quickly developing towards a 3rd world left-wing dictatorship, complete with the unchecked crime, garbage,homelessness, drugs and high taxes and fees to redistribute other people's money to their pet causes. That unfortunately my opinion of what you have to look forward to in moving here. I wish you.luck my friend. I am considering moving to Idaho in an attempt to escape the lunacy here and rejoin "America"
I am here to work for a little bit and then will be moving back to Texas to work for the same company in a few years! Unfortunately more Californians (commiefornians) have been filling up Texas because they already ruined their state with high taxes etc.

Unfortunately, they keep trying to make things as complicated as possible with very ambiguous discriptions of what their laws and proposals are. It is almost as if they are trying to be as cryptic as possible hoping to ensnare and entrap legal gun owners into some unintentional breach which would allow them to take away your gun rights by making you into a felon or violator of some regulation causing you to forfeit your rights. Everything proposed gets evermore restrictive and I believe is trying to circumvent federal law with regard to firearm registration and record keeping practices. If they know where they are, the next step of total ban and confiscation becomes easy and predictable. Whether or not they grandfather these items doesn't matter. Once the pass one they move on to the next item on their agenda which often includes modifying restrictions in their next proposal or law. It's like George Orwell's 1984.thw next legislative session starts in a few days and they are already considering total bans, more magazine and gun restrictions and proposals to make you do a background check Everytime you buy ammunition or gun parts. They attorney general of this State is antigun and looks the other way Everytime Seattle tries to.prempt state law. It's totally scary. The Washington State Supreme Court as well of many other Court jurisdiction seem to be undependable as the rulings seem to always back the left-wing agenda. I don't know if that is because of the funding they receive from the Teachers unions or whether their own political beliefs biasing their rulings. It seems that anyone who doesn't tow the line risks large campaigns against them including well funded contributions to their opponents the next time they run in the elections. This gives the appearance of a corruption of the justice system in this state. Furthermore, any appointments made to open positions are made by solidly left-wing antigun politicians that are in charge of that process. So in answer to your question my friend, your guess is as good as mine. No one really knows...but it doesn't look promising for us

I see you joined a while ago, welcome to the PNW.
Now for the candor:
  • Keep an address in Texas.
  • Maintain your state residency as Texas.
  • If you move to WA and register your car there, bend over and take it up the ... ah.... when you register your car.
  • You'll have to learn a form of newspeak, called "Politically Correct," where what you say and what you mean sound completely different. Kinda like "bless your heart" and the like. I'd rather be in the room with a bunch of Cajuns than have to listen to any more PC talk. I don't understand either spoken language.
  • Get your WA non-resident Concealed Carry - there are plenty of places in Downtown Seattle where you WANT to be well armed.

Something else you will quickly learn ...
How Seattle sees Eastern WA.jpg

This is true in Oregon as well; just substitute Portland for Seattle.;)

Forgot to mention due to recent law passed here in Washington even though you already own semi auto rifles and semiauto shotguns if you want to purchase another one, you have to take a training course( basic safety info and informational propaganda course not a practical performance test) and receive a certificate that you have to produce at time of purchase of another firearm and that even includes a semiauto . 22 caliber plinker! Furthermore, even if you have a concealed pistol permit, and have passed the federal background check new state law says they can hold the semiauto rifles and shotguns as well as any pistol or handgun for 10 working days before release to you. Just wanted you to know. All in the name of common Sense gun safety laws passed by morons that don't know anything about firearms other than knowing the don't like them and would prefer no one having them. They believe that if they just got rid of us law abiding citizens rights this would be a perfect society. They are oblivious to the the fact that criminals aren't affected by their restrictions and would relish the idea of having the ability to prey on an unarmed society

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top