JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be moving to WA in July 2021 and am concerned with bringing firearms into the state. I have live there twice from 7-1991 to Sep 1997 and May 2006 to Jun 2015 and have had a CHL both times. Seeing as how nutsocrap liberals have been working overtime to screw law abiding citizens with more worthless laws, I want to be sure that coming into the state with firearms won't get me into trouble. I won't have a place to live for a few days and am worried about having them without a permit. I have a TX permit, but that isn't recognized in WA. Would really want to know the laws before I get there. Also, I will be flying and not driving. I can take them on the plane with TSA requirements, buy don't know how legal I would be traveling in a rental car to a motel with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

As long as there aren't any full-auto pieces there isn't any problem bringing them into the state. Put them in the trunk and don't have them loaded in the car. No permit necessary to bring them in or to own them, yet. Don't carry concealed until you get your CHL and don't carry open until you know it is legal where you are. And please don't vote for the "nutsocrap liberals""!!
Welcome!!

Buy or otherwise legally acquire firearms you want/need before you get here so that they may stay "off the books", because once you take up residence here, anything you buy in WA or Orygun will have to go thru a BGC and therefore will, at least theoretically be in their system even though there is no official registration or permit required - yet.

Beyond that, you should be fine save NFA items which you will need to check into a bit deeper and I am not conversant on.

No issue with open carry unless you are near the capitol or a protest now...
Cant OC in a vehicle because its considered concealed.
Otherwise no loaded guns in the car, no full auto, and no auto knives on your person or in your car and you're good to go.
Best of luck, we left last summer.

Why would you want to move to WA from TX? Most are moving from WA to TX :confused:

In WA all semi automatic rifles and pistols who's magazines don't fit inside the grip: are considered "assault weapons" All modern pistols have to be registered, and "assault weapons" bought after i-1639 went into effect have to be registered as well. Should be no issue bringing guns in so long as they aren't short barreled shotguns, and machine guns. Suppressors and short barreled rifles are legal with the proper tax stamp(s).

Firearms must also be stored in a safe or have trigger locks or be inside a locked case any time when not in use/in your possession.

Semi-autos and pistols do not need to be registered. All sales/transfers are required to go through an FFL, but you are not in any way required to register guns you already own...
Yet anyway

Thanks so much for all the input. I truly despise all the "feel good" legislation for political theater that do absolutely NOTHING to stop criminals from obtaining and having firearms. The continual over reach of government is out of control. If voters don't wake up an DO SOMETHING to put an end to this BS, then they get what they deserve. I am not political or "WOKE" and I am capable of critical and independent thought, but I do believe in and follow the constitution. The only thing I can say now is: TERM LIMITS, TERM LIMITS, TERM LIMITS. Remember Tom Foley ???

Why would you want to move to WA from TX? Most are moving from WA to TX :confused:

In WA all semi automatic rifles and pistols who's magazines don't fit inside the grip: are considered "assault weapons" All modern pistols have to be registered, and "assault weapons" bought after i-1639 went into effect have to be registered as well. Should be no issue bringing guns in so long as they aren't short barreled shotguns, and machine guns. Suppressors and short barreled rifles are legal with the proper tax stamp(s).

Firearms must also be stored in a safe or have trigger locks or be inside a locked case any time when not in use/in your possession.
Weather, Houston (4th largest in the US), everything moves at race track speed, just want to get back to the PNW and find a cave to move into LOL.

That is news to me! So, having a 30 rounder in my P226 requires registration?
No. Washington does not have an "assault weapons" law. Washington has some laws that define a "semi automatic assault rifle" that actually don't prohibit buying one or building one. That law mostly requires paying an $18 fee and completing a free five minute online class to buy one and waiting ten business days to take delivery. It imposes a 21 year old age requirement. And that law does not apply to pistols nor shotguns. Note that if a semi automatic shotgun has a rifled bore it is then a rifle and would fall within that law.

No. Washington does not have an "assault weapons" law. Washington has some laws that define a "semi automatic assault rifle" that actually don't prohibit buying one or building one. That law mostly requires paying an $18 fee and completing a free five minute online class to buy one and waiting ten business days to take delivery. It imposes a 21 year old age requirement. And that law does not apply to pistols nor shotguns. Note that if a semi automatic shotgun has a rifled bore it is then a rifle and would fall within that law.
This! And there's the mandatory 10 day waiting period and also you have to allow them to your medical records. As far as getting them out of office... good luck... they lie, cheat, and steal. Also impossible when California is moving up here.

Sigh, this is a prime example of the problem with info on the net. People either just make stuff up or repeat what they are being told.

When I moved to WA I was told some tall tales, some with quasi outrage, by FFLs who did not know what the laws actually were. Not many people actually read them to see what they say. No need to refuse to comply with a law that doesn't actually exist at all.

When I moved to WA I was told some tall tales, some with quasi outrage, by FFLs who did not know what the laws actually were. Not many people actually read them to see what they say. No need to refuse to comply with a law that doesn't actually exist at all.
Perhaps it is a ploy by natives to keep the hordes of carpetbaggers at bay.

I have family who moved to Texas and the carry laws are much more restricted in Texas than WA. Carry laws here are still pretty liberal. All the storage statements you made are not true unless you have children or people who can't be around guns that you allow access to your home and then a locked door on the storage room meets the requirements. You are not responsible if a thief breaks into your house and steals them.

I have family who moved to Texas and the carry laws are much more restricted in Texas than WA. Carry laws here are still pretty liberal. All the storage statements you made are not true unless you have children or people who can't be around guns that you allow access to your home and then a locked door on the storage room meets the requirements. You are not responsible if a thief breaks into your house and steals them.
That's very quickly changing. Just look at the bills currently in congress for WA state.

Which bills would those be? Also bills are not laws. Both state (Washington) and federal (Congress) legislatures have had various gun bans proposed every year for decades, so treating all bills as laws is not an accurate forecast. Washington's latest crop of gun control bills are dead for the year.

Thanks so much for all the input. I truly despise all the "feel good" legislation for political theater that do absolutely NOTHING to stop criminals from obtaining and having firearms. The continual over reach of government is out of control. If voters don't wake up an DO SOMETHING to put an end to this BS, then they get what they deserve. I am not political or "WOKE" and I am capable of critical and independent thought, but I do believe in and follow the constitution. The only thing I can say now is: TERM LIMITS, TERM LIMITS, TERM LIMITS. Remember Tom Foley ???
Term limits don't matter when these stupid laws are being created by initatives, which functionally means they were created by political special interest groups and passed by a majority of the voters. This has allowed fun things like letting Bloomberg use his money to change the laws of our state even though he isn't even a resident. He just drops a few million and the initiative wording on a Washington special interest group, they follow the iniative process and use his money to pay people to get the necessary signatures to get it on the ballot, then to advertise 10 times as much for the initiative than anyone else can afford to pay to advertise against it, and it of course passes.

The initiative concept is good, but there needs to be laws restricting out-of-state support for initiatives. Someone should make an initiative to block such external interference with state law.

I will be moving to WA in July 2021 and am concerned with bringing firearms into the state. I have live there twice from 7-1991 to Sep 1997 and May 2006 to Jun 2015 and have had a CHL both times. Seeing as how nutsocrap liberals have been working overtime to screw law abiding citizens with more worthless laws, I want to be sure that coming into the state with firearms won't get me into trouble. I won't have a place to live for a few days and am worried about having them without a permit. I have a TX permit, but that isn't recognized in WA. Would really want to know the laws before I get there. Also, I will be flying and not driving. I can take them on the plane with TSA requirements, buy don't know how legal I would be traveling in a rental car to a motel with them. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
WA you say, I think you just drop them all off at the nearest police station.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top