JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm moving in the middle of next month and really wondering what kind of pistol I should get for carry while hunting and fishing.

I don't know much about the area, other than, it's not my home range and having a little something for defense while hunting would be good.

I'm planning on always having bear spray, but other than that, what kind of guns are good ideas? I just sold my Beretta 92fs, because out here all you ever get is angry peta activist and small black bears.

I was thinking a Glock 21 SF, which is .45acp. I would think that's an effective caliber for cats, and black bear, but what about brown bear? Are there any brown bear issues in eastern and northern WA? If the bear spray fails to be effective, is the .45 just a cute noise maker for a brown?

I realize that chances are slim for a bear issue, but I have had cougar problems before while fishing, and had to shoot one.

You will never see a cat that is attacking till it is too late. Very uncommon to happen to full size human (not kids).

For bear unless you are between it and a cub if it knows you are there it will run. If not wave your arms and say boo and it will.

Majority of the time I just keep my normal carry gun on me (S&W M&Pc 9mm). You have WAY more to fear from humans........

I wouldn't say never, I saw one and dealt with it. Then again, I was much younger, and in 20 years it only happened once. ;)

the M&P is a fine gun, and you're right about people. I didn't directly want to come out and say that, but I think of the "dangerous" encounters I'll have out in the bush, ever, and it's going to be with people, and .45acp is a lot for one of those.

No Brown bears that I have seen in 20+ years of hunting. Lots of black & cinnamon bears. Gotta go down to Riggin's/Dixie area to find the dish-faces.
You will see cats, but as stated not common. Up in the woods, or down here in the desert I have run accross half a dozen, but they didn't know I was there.
As Nwcid stated, attacks on adults is one of those freak deals if it happens.

I sometimes take my 1911, but generally if you see me tooling around in the sticks; I'm carrying my G17. Never consider myself compromised because of it.

Cats and Bears(up here) don't see someone fishing and decide "Hey I'ma bum-rush him and get a free dinner". Can it happen? Well the sky could fall:s0114:

No Brown bears that I have seen in 20+ years of hunting. Lots of black & cinnamon bears. Gotta go down to Riggin's/Dixie area to find the dish-faces.
You will see cats, but as stated not common. Up in the woods, or down here in the desert I have run accross half a dozen, but they didn't know I was there.
As Nwcid stated, attacks on adults is one of those freak deals if it happens.

I sometimes take my 1911, but generally if you see me tooling around in the sticks; I'm carrying my G17. Never consider myself compromised because of it.

Cats and Bears(up here) don't see someone fishing and decide "Hey I'ma bum-rush him and get a free dinner". Can it happen? Well the sky could fall:s0114:

yeah, fair. I'm leaning towards to glock in 10mm actually, but I'd like to reload. So, I'd have to look into that. If I can't find one in 10mm, I'll just pick up a g21sf. I doubt I'll ever have to worry, and frankly, with a gun and spray, I have zero worries about black bears. Cats can go to a walk though.

What to carry hiking/fishing/hunting? Whatever you are the most proficient shooting. Depending on the time of year, for me, that is either a High Standard .22, or a Colt .38.

Bears? Where I live there are a lots of them...my experience has been, a BIG hungry male if more of a menace than a female with cubs (assuming the cubs have a tree to climb.) So far (since 1970 here in WA) I have encountered maybe 40 bear in various situations...the one that stood his ground was a big male on a kill. (fawn) My Doberman finally got it moving. The rest ran from me right away, or when they saw I was not going to run from them, they ran the other way. (or when I let a round go into the base of a tree nearby and then they left...that has happend 2 times so far.) I have seen one Griz, once, probably visiting from Canada (11 miles to the border, 20 miles to the Pasayten)

Cougar...lots of them here too...one of the few areas you can draw to hunt cougars with hounds. Cougars usually will try slip away, or slip up behind you...but if backed into a corner they will turn and fight face on. Keep a dog with you, at least you will know before you are attacked.

Big caution with dogs...dogs that are running game are subject to summary execution here...be sure you train your dog to leave the deer alone...and keep the dog close if you are not on your own property, or do not have a special license to hunt with hounds...basically, hunting with hounds is illegal and allowed by exception only...OK?

Maybe I can post some other info that may be of interest to you:

Firearms law in WA is RCW 9.41. RCW 9.41.050 has the general prohibition to carrying a pistol concealed without a license. RCW 9.41.060 have the exceptions...you will be most interested in RCW 9.41.060(8) which provides that you may carry, openly or concealed, while doing some outdoor recreation without a license. (called a CPL here)

Generally unlicensed loaded Open Carry is totally legal. However, there is a restriction on loaded without a CPL, or meeting an exemption in RCW 9.41.060 "while in a vehicle". Without the exceptions listed in .060, it is generally necessary to have a CPL to carry (OC or CC) loaded in a vehicle, or CC outside a vehicle. The law is state wide, you don't need to worry about local gotyas...a CPL is Shall Issue, $52.25 at your local sheriff's office, no special training required, they have 30 days (if you have a WA drivers license), 60 days if non-resident...same license. If you have a CPL there is no wait when you purchase a new pistol. If you do not have a CPL you may have to wait up to 5 days to take possession of your new pistol. (depends on the county sheriff..the 5 days is MAX)

There are two restrictions, (F&W regs) on carry of a LONG GUN..unless you have a disabled hunters permit, you cannot have a loaded LONG GUN in or on your vehicle. A loaded pistol for self defence is OK, but a loaded long gun is not in a vehicle. The second problem is with snowmobiles and any weapon...not sure this one would hold up in court though,,,,as a snowmobile is a vehicle and having a loaded handgun for you self defence (especially while participating in outdoor recreation) is allowed by RCW 9.41.060(8)

S&W or Taurus Model 65 or 66 w/4" barrel loaded with 158gr. JSP's.
Doesn't feel like a lead weight hanging from your belt, reliable as the sunrise, everyone has parts, knows the guns, and enough power to at least let 'em know they shouldn't be in that particular spot at that particular moment.

Dean

Glad to see You abandoning the foolishness of the Gay State. You will be surprised at the laws here in this state. No need to carry a card to just have a firearm in Your home, actually game to hunt. Yeah we still have the Liberals to deal with, But Spokane is a hop and Jump from Idaho and Montana. Beautiful area.....

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top