JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Decisions Decisions.

OMG! Someone asks what C&R firearms to buy on a firearms forum and the answers he gets are to pay your bills, pay your rent, pay your income tax before even starting work, a bumper, and ammo when ammo is scarce and expensive, buy drinks, steaks, and penicillin YIKES! Gee guys he is coming from Washington, not Idaho. And no one has a suggestion for a C&R to purchase before he moves. A lot of help you guys are o_O.

Maybe consider what ammo is still available at a reasonable price and buy C&Rs that shoot it.
Haha right! I wouldn't get close enough to Portland to touch it with a ten foot poll. Whenever I do go south I spend the extra time to detour on WA14 so I never have to even look at it.

I'm going to try to circle the conversation back to the original question:

If you have the time then buy the Garand and plenty of enbloc clips.

It's a great piece of history. A smooth shooter. Reliable. And you'll get endless smiles on the range when that "ping" goes off.

Well, if you have the money to burn and don't already have one, why not go for the M1 Rifle ("Garand")? May not take as long to get one as you'd think. Anyway, you can always keep CMP apprised of your address change by phone, I'd think. They are a fairly solid bet for holding their value. You can't see in advance what you're gonna get. For that reason, if you don't insist on battle field pick-up originality, consider one of the CMP reworks. I've got a few; one of my favorites is the CMP Special in .308 Win.

Re. the CZ82, that isn't old enough to be C&R eligible, is it?

Well, if you have the money to burn and don't already have one, why not go for the M1 Rifle ("Garand")? May not take as long to get one as you'd think. Anyway, you can always keep CMP apprised of your address change by phone, I'd think. They are a fairly solid bet for holding their value. You can't see in advance what you're gonna get. For that reason, if you don't insist on battle field pick-up originality, consider one of the CMP reworks. I've got a few; one of my favorites is the CMP Special in .308 Win.

Re. the CZ82, that isn't old enough to be C&R eligible, is it?
I'll be moving in about a month so CMP would likely be out. Oregon does not allow direct ship of C&R rifles.
The CZ82 is listed as a C&R despite being younger than 50

Things I have had my eyes on it
Czech VZ52 $650 for the quality I want
M1 Garand (probably no dice on this, as CMP would take too long)
CZ 82 $400
?????? Help me spend the last bit so I can get my high off of direct ship freedom sticks before I move.
I'd avoid the VZ52 if I were you, 7.62x45 is not easy to find even online. Good for a wall hanger, only real way to shoot one is if you convert it to 7.62x39 but I don't know how well those conversions work.(I'd personally rather have a firearm in the round it was designed around)
Be aware that if you want the M1 Garand that it needs to use M2 30-06 or have an adjustable gas plug to use non-M2 30-06 ammo.

I died a little inside when I saw how much I paid in taxes my first paycheck up here after moving up from Arizona. Hardly matters that there's no sales tax if you don't get to keep enough to buy shiz with it.
If i remember correctly, when I lived in Tempe, I did math assuming all costs were the same and even WITH the sales tax, AZ was better for your wallet than OR by a not insignificant margin

The CZ82 is listed as a C&R despite being younger than 50

I just looked that up and you're 100% correct. But I am very surprised. I was aware that the ATF made exceptions to the 50 year rule. It's only my opinion, BUT: I don't find anything particularly special or rare about the CZ82. A firearm being out of production isn't on the list of criteria for granting C&R status. Then I read further. Reason for listing: The curator of the West Point Museum petitioned the ATF to have the CZ82 listed, so there it is.

I've been eyeing SKSs for a little while. Had a really nice one a while back. My wife really liked shooting it, too.

Living in central Oregon one isn't complete without a lever action carbine.

Sound advice, but he's not throwing his money away by purchasing a gun. Guns are as good as cash, and in many ways, better!

Guns are good - m'kay?

But you can't pay the rent/mortgage with them - so they are not as good as cash. It takes time to sell them and they don't always appreciate - although some of mine have.

What I was trying to say is that if you have plenty of cash to pay for shelter/food/etc. for a year or two, and you don't have debt (beyond a mortgage), then fine. Otherwise, build up that cash reserve.

When I hear someone say "I got a couple hundred/thousand - what do I spend it on" - I do not envision someone who has no debt and $$$$$ in addition to that to pay for shelter/food/etc.

Things are not getting better this year and won't get better until late next year at the earliest. Count on it. Budget for it.

I moved from north of Seattle to Hillsboro 9+ years ago. I too made a six figure salary (I am retired now) and I am single. The income tax really was a shock - for decades I have saved more than I spent, so the income tax really cut into my paycheck.

If I was younger and moving here, I would take any extra $ and put it towards paying off debt. If I had not debt, I would put extra $ into savings until I had enough to survive for a year - I think bad things are in our near future - a recession. Stuff happens. My plan was to work one more year into 2021, but I got laid off in March, my retirement funds (401K and IRA) took a real hit at the same time. Fortunately I didn't have to touch them and they came back over time, plus the extra $600/week UI benes helped.

On the day I was laid off I was 30 minutes away from buying yet another SIG when my director called and told me I was laid off. Since then I have liquidated some ammo and guns that I didn't need and bought ammo I did need with those $ - not touching the $ I had set aside for living expenses.

So...

That was a long way of saying that maybe you want to consider other things to do with a little bit of "mad money". Sorry, I know the OP is asking what guns to buy, but I strongly recommend that unless you have enough in cash reserves (not a 401K/IRS/et. al.) to pay for shelter/food/etc. for a year or two, that you don't spend it on guns that you don't absolutely need.

I really really hope that 2020 is just a glitch and not the tip of the iceberg - either way, it isn't going away in a month or two, this will be an ongoing issue well into 2021.

I still have my cash reserves, and a fixed income that will pay my living expenses for the foreseeable future, and a couple thousand to spend on ammo/etc.

This, this, and more this.

I've been eyeing SKSs for a little while. Had a really nice one a while back. My wife really liked shooting it, too.

Living in central Oregon one isn't complete without a lever action carbine.
Definitely considering an SKS. Already got my bases covered on Lever actions ;)

I just looked that up and you're 100% correct. But I am very surprised. I was aware that the ATF made exceptions to the 50 year rule. It's only my opinion, BUT: I don't find anything particularly special or rare about the CZ82. A firearm being out of production isn't on the list of criteria for granting C&R status. Then I read further. Reason for listing: The curator of the West Point Museum petitioned the ATF to have the CZ82 listed, so there it is.
That's honestly one of the only reasons I want the CZ82 in that its unique/cool factor is that I can get it direct and it is basically the most modern pistol you can get under a C&R. It doesn't hurt that Ive got a stash of Mak ammo.

That's honestly one of the only reasons I want the CZ82 in that its unique/cool factor is that I can get it direct

My long-time pal down in NM bought a couple CZ82's simply and solely because they were inexpensive.

I've owned CZ27's in the past, pretty simple and bullet proof. Then there was the CZ70, boy was that one a turd. I've admired the CZ52's since before the fall of the iron curtain when they were pretty expensive; didn't pick one up later when they were cheap but probably should've. These days, if you don't like 7.62x25, you can get a drop-in 9mm barrel for one. CZ75, never yet owned one, seems like a decent gun, much copied so maybe imitation is truly the sincerest form of flattery. One I've considered was the Tanfoglio in 10mm. Yeah, it isn't exactly CZ but that design.

CZ38, I used to see those around when I was collecting Nazi German stuff but they were always too weird for me.

That's my knowledge of CZ stuff.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads