JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Title as described gents,

I'll be moving to Bend, OR, my company is offering me a promotion I can't refuse.
So that brings me to my next point, I am a C&R up here in Washington so we can still get most stuff direct.
What should I get before I go?

Things I have had my eyes on it
Czech VZ52 $650 for the quality I want
M1 Garand (probably no dice on this, as CMP would take too long)
CZ 82 $400
?????? Help me spend the last bit so I can get my high off of direct ship freedom sticks before I move.

Title as described gents,

I'll be moving to Bend, OR, my company is offering me a promotion I can't refuse.
So that brings me to my next point, I am a C&R up here in Washington so we can still get most stuff direct.
What should I get before I go?

Things I have had my eyes on it
Czech VZ52 $650 for the quality I want
M1 Garand (probably no dice on this, as CMP would take too long)
CZ 82 $400
?????? Help me spend the last bit so I can get my high off of direct ship freedom sticks before I move.

Assuming you already have firearms, I'd be more inclined to by as much ammo as I could find for what I already have.

And the state income tax...

9.9%.... (currently) 3rd highest in the nation. o_O

Company is providing relocation so I am all set, the $2k is really disposable for firearms haha. Single and six digit salary, I can find something decent with that. So yes the tax sucks but I'll live.

Assuming you already have firearms, I'd be more inclined to by as much ammo as I could find for what I already have.

9.9%.... (currently) 3rd highest in the nation. o_O
Plan on buying even more ammo when I am relocated. I am stocked but one can always use more. I had some guns but my boat
Yeah, but look on the bright side. They pump your gas for you. :s0140:

Two words, CFN Card ;)

deleted..inappropriate

If you are based in Bend, a hunting rifle might be something to consider?

Last Edited:
Refer to the photo below. That's where I would put my money! You'll need it for the mule deer, slow Subarus, and Prius's.

100_2390.jpg

I moved from north of Seattle to Hillsboro 9+ years ago. I too made a six figure salary (I am retired now) and I am single. The income tax really was a shock - for decades I have saved more than I spent, so the income tax really cut into my paycheck.

If I was younger and moving here, I would take any extra $ and put it towards paying off debt. If I had not debt, I would put extra $ into savings until I had enough to survive for a year - I think bad things are in our near future - a recession. Stuff happens. My plan was to work one more year into 2021, but I got laid off in March, my retirement funds (401K and IRA) took a real hit at the same time. Fortunately I didn't have to touch them and they came back over time, plus the extra $600/week UI benes helped.

On the day I was laid off I was 30 minutes away from buying yet another SIG when my director called and told me I was laid off. Since then I have liquidated some ammo and guns that I didn't need and bought ammo I did need with those $ - not touching the $ I had set aside for living expenses.

So...

That was a long way of saying that maybe you want to consider other things to do with a little bit of "mad money". Sorry, I know the OP is asking what guns to buy, but I strongly recommend that unless you have enough in cash reserves (not a 401K/IRS/et. al.) to pay for shelter/food/etc. for a year or two, that you don't spend it on guns that you don't absolutely need.

I really really hope that 2020 is just a glitch and not the tip of the iceberg - either way, it isn't going away in a month or two, this will be an ongoing issue well into 2021.

I still have my cash reserves, and a fixed income that will pay my living expenses for the foreseeable future, and a couple thousand to spend on ammo/etc.

Last Edited:
I moved from north of Seattle to Hillsboro 9+ years ago. I too made a six figure salary (I am retired now) and I am single. The income tax really was a shock - for decades I have saved more than I spent, so the income tax really cut into my paycheck.

If I was younger and moving here, I would take any extra $ and put it towards paying off debt. If I had not debt, I would put extra $ into savings until I had enough to survive for a year - I think bad things are in our near future - a recession. Stuff happens. My plan was to work one more year into 2021, but I got laid off in March, my retirement funds (401K and IRA) took a real hit at the same time. Fortunately I didn't have to touch them and they came back over time, plus the extra $600/week UI benes helped.

On the day I was laid off I was 30 minutes away from buying yet another SIG when my director called and told me I was laid off. Since then I have liquidated some ammo and guns that I didn't need and bought ammo I did need with those $ - not touching the $ I had set aside for living expenses.

So...

That was a long way of saying that maybe you want to consider other things to do with a little bit of "mad money". Sorry, I know the OP is asking what guns to buy, but I strongly recommend that unless you have enough in cash reserves (not a 401K/IRS/et. al.) to pay for shelter/food/etc. for a year or two, that you don't spend it on guns that you don't absolutely need.

I really really hope that 2020 is just a glitch and not the tip of the iceberg - either way, it isn't going away in a month or two, this will be an ongoing issue well into 2021.

I still have my cash reserves, and a fixed income that will pay my living expenses for the foreseeable future, and a couple thousand to spend on ammo/etc.

Sound advice, but he's not throwing his money away by purchasing a gun. Guns are as good as cash, and in many ways, better! At least that's what I tell the old lady :s0114:

I'd throw in a vote for a sks or 4. Prices seem to really be going up on those.

Decisions Decisions.

For a first time gun owner, once they've picked their weapon, how much ammo is a "reasonable" amount to keep on hand for practice, self defense, extra mags loaded, easily portable if needing to "bug out", or trading for the apocalypse, etc before you start getting "toilet paper hoarding" level absurd? 1K rounds?

OMG! Someone asks what C&R firearms to buy on a firearms forum and the answers he gets are to pay your bills, pay your rent, pay your income tax before even starting work, a bumper, and ammo when ammo is scarce and expensive, buy drinks, steaks, and penicillin YIKES! Gee guys he is coming from Washington, not Idaho. And no one has a suggestion for a C&R to purchase before he moves. A lot of help you guys are o_O.

Maybe consider what ammo is still available at a reasonable price and buy C&Rs that shoot it.

Last Edited:
Decisions Decisions.

OMG! Someone asks what C&R firearms to buy on a firearms forum and the answers he gets are to pay your bills, pay your rent, pay your income tax before even starting work, a bumper, buy drinks, steaks, and penicillin YIKES! and ammo when ammo is scarce and expensive, and no one has a suggestion for a C&R to purchase before he moves. A lot of help you guys are o_O.

Maybe consider what ammo is still available at a reasonable price and buy C&Rs that shoot it.
That bumper will put more meat on the table than a C&R rifle will. :D

I died a little inside when I saw how much I paid in taxes my first paycheck up here after moving up from Arizona. Hardly matters that there's no sales tax if you don't get to keep enough to buy shiz with it.

Oh there's a sales tax at the "back end".... it's called a "gross receipts tax" that businesses must pay, which of course is merely added to the consumer prices you pay... but people are generally too stupid to see past the "corporations are paying the tax" lie.

Go team blue, party of the working people. :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Yeh once OP sees how much they take out for income tax his promotion may feel like a demotion. Not to mention the cost of living in Bend is probably the highest in Oregon because it's full of Californians. Maybe @40Garand is correct in getting the bumper so OP won't starve.

Last Edited:
Well gee this was interesting... even with income tax I'll be making about double what I make now, and rent will be comfortable enough. I don't plan on staying for ever so no plans to buy a house. One thing about my position is it's pretty recession proof, not 100% as we've recently seen, but if we live our lives just afraid to spend money for the next recession than there is no point to making it.
I wouldn't be asking for suggestions, if I didn't have a contingency fund etc. As we've seen as well guns can be investment, just like stocks or what have you. Perhaps even better than the stock market.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top