JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So im going to be moving from Tennessee to Oregon in the near future I was wondering if theres any firearms that I have that might be illegal. I have standard run of the mil stuff like acouple AR-15s, xdm 40,glock 21,CZ-75bd , a mosin nagant and a mossberg 7+1 shotgun. I use to live in CA and I know they have resrictions on mag size and you have to have a featureless AR or an AR with a bullet button on it so I was wondering if anything like those thinf s apply in oregon.

Simple answer:

No - you are good to go here (or come here as the case may be).

Even if you have NFA firearms.

You do have to take a class to get a CHL/CWP and do a background check - and get the sheriff to sign for it. But it is a shall issue state and that does not impact what firearms you bring here, only concealed carry.

There are common restrictions on what guns you can use for hunting, and in some cities, like Portland, on open carry.

The crazy laws here mostly are related to having a firearm with you. You can drive 20 miles and probably pass through 10 different areas that have different laws about carrying. How is one supposed to remember to unload their magazines before driving into a certain county.

The good news is that a CHL trumps most of these silly laws. So that would be the first thing you should do

Also, there is a state pre-emption clause prohibiting municipalities from making laws more restrictive than state laws, except for some things such as open carry.

Some municipalities have tried to make laws more restrictive, and there are some court cases - this is mostly happening near Portland, and mostly on the east side of Portland.

There are also common sense restrictions about where you can shoot, not within city limits, some urban boundary areas and so on. So check these before shooting - there are maps that each county has online. As I said, it is mostly common sense stuff and the areas are those that are urban and suburban neighborhoods.

Welcome (almost) to Oregon! +1 to getting your CHL as soon as possible - that will save you more hassle than anything else. I would also recommend keeping your distance as much as possible from anywhere in Multnomah County if you can avoid it - the most gun un-friendly county in the state. Don't plan on doing any shooting ( at all in Mult. County unless it's at a range. Neighboring Washington and Clackamas counties are better for gun owners - the Sheriffs in those counties are also more friendly toward concealed carry and gun ownership in general. The further you get from Mult. Co., the better.

Regarding the NFA toys. Full auto is legal. Owning a silencer is legal and hunting with it is also legal (and polite)

Depending where you end up, the Saddle Butte Machine Gun Shoot might interest you. Happens every May at the Albany Rifle and Pistol Club located a little south of Albany.

ill be moving to washington county.is there any places i could go out in tge country and shoot as far as government property is concerned. in CA there was a lot of public land to shoot on but in TN pretty much all the land was privately owned.

ill be moving to washington county.is there any places i could go out in tge country and shoot as far as government property is concerned. in CA there was a lot of public land to shoot on but in TN pretty much all the land was privately owned.
If Washington County, you best bet is to head West on 26 or 8 into the Coast Range. Lots of random roads and shooting spots to be found out there, but do us a favor and clean up after you shoot!

There are some regularly used places that are just trashed thanks to lazy SOBs, and that reflects very poorly on the rest of us and may ultimately lead to the closure or restrictions on shooting on private lumber lands (see what's happening in Washington right now).

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top