JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm moving to Oregon next week. I know. I'll get the joy of state sales tax but at last I will be able to own SBR's and shoot my silencers without looking over my shoulder all the time. Anyway whats the deal with my concealed carry ? I suppose I have to take a class or something like that. Whats the deal for Washingtonians moving into the state?

there is no state sales tax or local sales tax in Oregon.

for concealed carry, you have to apply through your county of residence Sheriff's department. It requires you take an NRA certified safety class, with completion certificate. You submit for a background check. Pay the required fees. Wait for it to arrive in the mail. Oregon doesn't recognize any other states' conceal carry permits.

there is no state sales tax or local sales tax in Oregon.

for concealed carry, you have to apply through your county of residence Sheriff's department. It requires you take an NRA certified safety class, with completion certificate. You submit for a background check. Pay the required fees. Wait for it to arrive in the mail. Oregon doesn't recognize any other states' conceal carry permits.

doesn't have to be NRA certified, unless they've changed it recently?

and yea... no sales tax. i'm sort of offended, even. ;)

I'm moving to Oregon next week. I know. I'll get the joy of state sales tax but at last I will be able to own SBR's and shoot my silencers without looking over my shoulder all the time. Anyway whats the deal with my concealed carry ? I suppose I have to take a class or something like that. Whats the deal for Washingtonians moving into the state?

Where are you moving from?

There is good and bad to moving across the river. I live in WA, but I am an Oregonian.

IMO, It is the best place in the USA, and I have lived all over the country.

If you go to the Multnomah County Sheriff's office on 122nd and Glisan,(Portland), they can hook you up with the process.
It is really easy, but not as convenient as the WA CPL process.

I am currently living in Kent although I have property in Cowlitz County and thats where my CPL is issued from.

I'm taking a job in The Dalles so it will be Wasco County I'm moving to.

Securing the CHL is easy. Wait till you go to get your OR drivers license. I renewed mine last week. They asked me to remove my glasses for the picture. I thought that was weird since I always wear them. Then they explained why. The new camera/computer at DMV is taking facial recognition pictures. Yep, just like a fingerprint, but you can be ID'd without even knowing it from any picture taken. Talk about Big Brother.

OFF TOPIC

and yea... no sales tax. i'm sort of offended, even. ;)

WRONG... you pay a LOT in "hidden" sales tax... you want proof? Remember ballot measures 66 & 67 (that passed)... one of them raises taxes on Oregon business by taxing their GROSS receipts instead of their NET proceeds, along with a MINIMUM tax even if they do no transactions for that year... as in ZERO, ZIP, NADA? Guess who's paying those taxes... THE CONSUMER, in the form of higher prices.... which equates to a sales tax. :angry:

Stomper, higher prices to the consumer are higher prices to the consumer. Frankly, I don't see a lot of higher prices since the tax increase was passed (maybe I'm not patronizing a lot of local small business). Oregon, despite the efforts of many of its left leaning politicians (Kulongoski for instance) does not have a sales tax. We do have a very high personal income tax, which tries to make up for it.

higher personal income tax is less legal than sales tax, but a progressive income tax is more ethical than a sales tax.

what do you want? ethical, or legal? we never get either.

ANYHOW... Welcome to Oregon, go take a firearms safety class that instructs on the use of pistols, take the completion certificate to the local Sherriffs office,fill out the forms, pay your fee ($65.00 I think) and wait for it to come in the mail.

ANYHOW... Welcome to Oregon, go take a firearms safety class that instructs on the use of pistols, take the completion certificate to the local Sherriffs office,fill out the forms, pay your fee ($65.00 I think) and wait for it to come in the mail.

That's what I did, but the fee was much less 20 years ago too, except I live in WA. Out of state residents can get an OR CHL, just takes a little more paperwork.

The "Trade Ratings" is low by 3!
Some people just don't post it I guess

Deen
NRA Benefactor/Recruiter
WAC member
ACSWW member

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show