JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
We spent some time in GP a week or so ago and looked at property. We found several likely possibilities. We didn't get the original house we put an offer on. However, we are putting an offer in on a house in the Applegate area today.

The first place was perfect, year round creek and spring fed water on 3.6 acres. The place we'll attempt to buy today is on an acre or so and in a somewhat more populated area. But, it will do for us.

Unfortunately, I think our shooting will have to be at the Josephine County Sportsman's Club. This place is only an acre in the Applegate area. We coulda' shot the Barrett at the first place, doggone it. :s0154:

We should have a reply to our offer by tomorrow. We're hoping to make the move before Labor Day. You and your wife are more than welcome for dinner once we get somewhat settled in. It would be great to make some new friends.

man I miss living down there, enjoy it for me
JCSC is a darn good place to shoot, I wish the ranges up on this side of the state would take an example from their prices (and overall experience, love that place)

Congrats on the new location

Welcome to GP. I moved to GP from PDX 3 years ago and will never want to move back to PDX. About the acres... Are you sure you want big yards? There are a lot of work, grass here growth crazy and trees falling weekly:) I am glad that I got away from acres and now staying in the heart of GP. JCSC is a nice place, friendly people out there all the time, but they dont let you bum fire :) and shoot steels unless you belong to some black powder group. There are so many BLM lands around here that you can shoot. If you want to shoot your 50 bmg then pm me, I will show you a few places that you can shoot around 1k to 1.5k yards.

Medic has the Barrett, not me. I just have the basics, a couple of 12 gauges, a couple of handguns and a couple of rifles.

Our offer was accepted! We hope to be moved by Labor Day or the first week of September at the latest. It depends on how soon we can get the loan closed.

Welcome to GP, great place to live if you ask me. I've been here for 14 years and in the R Valley most of my life. One of the great thing about living here is you not to far from a place to shoot if you get an itchy finger.

Our offer was accepted! We hope to be moved by Labor Day or the first week of September at the latest. It depends on how soon we can get the loan closed.

Alright!!

Get the cars registered, apply for that carry permit, and start enjoying more freedom in your life! I hope all goes smoothly for you, my friend!

I'm jealous. I've lived in Grants Pass virtually my whole life (I'm 42), but work, or a lack thereof in Grants Pass, may force me to leave next year. I'm still hoping I can find a good job there before I have to go.

Benny505,

I've crawled around almost every square inch of the Siskiyou National Forest around there, and I haven't found anywhere close to 1k yards to shoot. Please share!

Ever been up Jack Creek? Starting to get overgrown but there is a spot with a steel silhouette at 1000 feet. One hill side over to the next. I don't have anything that will reach out that far.
Mike

We haven't gotten too off the beaten path Mike. We're still trying to get a house locked in. We're going to put an offer in on a different house tomorrow.

The one we were going to buy turned out to have the magnificent well flow rate of 0.18 gallons per minute! That's with two wells. There's also a holding tank, so that would have been three pumps to run and over five minutes to fill a gallon bucket.

The new place is about on 2.5 acres and a much nicer location. Unfortunately it costs about 60K more. :s0131:

Strange things afoot in Grants Pass. The first property, the one with the year round creek on 3.6 acres, spring fed water supply, etc. has come back on the market. We put another offer in on it yesterday afternoon.

We got the original property that we really wanted. However, we had to go through a different lender and that slowed our timeline. We should close this week and be moved in by Sept. 28th. This is a case of better late than never because we'll be living at our BOL. :s0155:

We're finally in!

We bought a house about fifteen miles outside of Grants Pass. It's a great place in the woods and should be acceptable if SHTF. 3.63 acres on a private road off a dead end road off another dead end road. We're less than a mile from the Rogue River.

3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 1500 and some square feet with a very large shop. A large year round creek runs right past the deck and through the property. It has spring fed water with a 1100 gallon holding tank.
It also has a brand new well that had to be drilled to satisfy lender requirements, (HUD) but it's capped off right now. I want to put either a hand or solar pump in eventually as the budget allows.

It's in good shape and only requires some paint and minor repairs. The roof will have to be replaced within a few years and I want to replace the comp roof with metal for fire safety reasons.

We were originally going to close last August 31st, but had to change lenders because Amanda no longer has a credit score. We had given notice at our rented house in Sutter Creek and were lucky to extend our stay until the 28th of September. We had United Van lines move our stuff and we spent the night in an empty house on a Coleman air mattress.

We left the next morning as the new tenant was moving in. We got as far as Yreka when I had to stop for the night. I was too exhausted to drive any further and I didn't want to chance the Siskyou Summit. Amanda was incapable of helping, so I had packed the entire house by myself. I even had to pack her suitcases, so I was beat. BTW, our three cats were with us.

We got to GP and checked into a motel for what we thought would be three to five days. When we still hadn't closed, we moved to the Motel 6 just down the street.
The motel room was okay, but the place was crawling with druggies and lowlifes. A kidnap victim managed to escape from her captors there, a sixteen year old girl got busted and removed from a drug filled room of around eight guys and there was general drunken shouting, and behavior on a regular basis. The place reeked of pot at times as well.

HUD required a well because the spring originates on the property next door, so the well had to be drilled. We ponied up some more toward the purchase price, but the sellers really took a hit. They also had to truck in around $2,000. worth of rock to stabilize the area where the well was to be drilled.

Our lender went out of town for a week, the appraisal took two weeks and in general if there could be a delay for some reason, we encountered it. Sometimes it seemed that all we lacked were locusts and pestilence.

We finally moved in last Wednesday with our suitcases, our air mattress and our three cats. Our goods arrived this past Tuesday and I've been unpacking since. We took advantage of the empty house and had the carpets steam cleaned last Monday. That turned the place into a sauna for a couple of days but at least it's now our dirt underfoot.

So, two nights ago we slept in our own bed after nearly two months.

I had joined the county library to have computer access while we were in exile, but times and availability made it tough. I checked in a few times, but after checking email and a few things, time was up. The time limit on the computers is thirty minutes. That didn't allow for much surfing the net.

If I had known we were going to be so delayed, I'd have had United drop our stuff in a mini storage facility. But we didn't have a clue as to how long we'd be delayed. It was originally to be three to five days.
So, we really got screwed. We paid $3,770. for the initial move from Ca. and then had to pay $19.95 a day
for storage costs. So we wound up paying an additional $2,970. for storage and to have our goods delivered.

All of this stuff created a huge financial burden beyond our original estimates and to add insult to injury, the movers accidentally packed Amanda's meds and that resulted in an extra $800. or so in costs we hadn't planned on. However, she has to have her meds, so it just had to be. We should level out financially in February and that will be fine.

What matters is that we're reasonably healthy, in our home, out of California and beginning a new stage of our lives.

So that's why I haven't been around and now you know the rest of the story. (with apologies to Paul Harvey)

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top