JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got a job offer too good to pass up so will be moving (back) to Washington St in January. We spent 13+ years in Tacoma WA and fell in love with Pac West. Breaks my heart to see what is happening...

I lived in California between my first stint in WA State and prior to moving Iowa so painfully aware of what oppression on our rights is all about. It sucks leaving free America... Iowa is very gun friendly. I hope they don't take the eye of the ball here an start losing their rights....

I have what I feel are a good variety of firearms for my needs. Not a huge selection but most of my itches have been scratched. I do have several finished 80% lowers and a few new complete AR lowers that I bought on sale.

If you were moving to WA St, is there anything you'd buy and bring with you just in case or to resell perhaps? I am not looking to stock up and bring stuff just to price gouge but was more curious.

My daughter and I started shooting USPSA so will be trying to hook up with a local club. My wife will be joining me this summer and she loves to shoot trap so will be looking for a local trap range too.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and guidance.

It appears the laws that are currently being proposed include grandfather clauses but prohibit sales, so it probably doesn't make any sense to buy anything you don't want to have.

If there are any pistols or semi-auto rifles you want, buy them in Iowa before you move because those types of arms bought in WA get you into our database and you agree to an annual BG check, and basically waive your medical privacy forever.

If you bring certain commonly disparaged firearms, like an AR, expect that next year you'll have to register them with the State patrol if a certain piece of legislation passes this winter.

Tough call recommending for someone else & there fam.

Perhaps a few more AR15 lowers, as well as a couple AR10?

If you all reload, mayhaps primers, depending upon the tax rate where you are now. Pretty easy to haul thousands, given there size.

Also, depending upon the tax rate diff, a bump up on magazines for whatever you all run. PSA likely has a Christmas special on gen 2 pmags, a box of 20 is reasonably small. As an ex.

If you are set pretty decent money wise, for firearms budget, perhaps a few spare handguns. Ones you all know and use, or have used. Might be worth a really good look around at whatever secondary market is available. ie local boards, pawn, gunshops carrying consignment etc.

Nothing specifically to buy and bring with you but if there are things you want/need, I would absolutely buy them sooner rather than later. Particularly anything that the government would consider to be an "assault weapon" and any magazines that hold more than 10 rounds. It's likely that suppressors will come under attack too.

I would love to be wrong about this but my guess is that Washington will be californicated within the next 5-10 years. It's inevitable unless something significant happens that stops the growth of the disease that is Seattle.

Also get involved and do what you can with respect to the 2A fight. California is ground zero so pay close attention to the lawsuits that are being fought there like Miller v. Becerra, Duncan v. Becerra, etc., and help out however you can. :)

Last Edited:
If you were moving to WA St, is there anything you'd buy and bring with you just in case or to resell perhaps? I am not looking to stock up and bring stuff just to price gouge but was more curious.

First, I wouldn't move back. In fact I just fled as a refuge to freedom. I refuse to live under such tyranny and there's no realistic hope it will get better absent the SCOTUS or POTUS/Congress stepping in. Money could lure me but I wouldn't move back for less than a low 7 figure salary to set me up to buy my way into luxury elsewhere, and even then I'd still keep a residence in a free state. The oppression there on guns is over-the-top. Couple that with high tax and use and sales taxes, and massive home-sale tax, and the only redeeming quality is the lack of a income tax. Which they yearly threaten to eliminate. In the coming years, my guess is a near outright ban on anything tactically useful, 10+ capacity, semi-auto. If not a ban, then constant threats about it and more taxes.

Don't forget, your money is going to probably go 1/2 as far in Tacoma as it did in Iowa. So factor that into any financial equation. You're going to take a large (25-50%) pay cut moving to Tacoma, as far as your money value is concerned. And the housing shortages, homelessness, and traffic problems have skyrocketed with all the highways being impassible parking lots during huge blocks of time daily.

If you must move back, I don't know if it's wiser to bring stuff into the state for which you might have to surrender or otherwise won't be able to "use" in any sense. Or not. You could find yourself importing ARs and AKs and magazines only to be required to register and later surrender them or be committing a felony. The future is uncertain and pretty bleak for freedom loving gun owners in Washington...

As I see it your choices are:
1. Buy in Iowa, leaving no paper trail if possible, and bring to WA. Acquiring it in WA is, at minimum, putting you into the WA database and registration scheme, and a hassle, and more expensive.
2. If you import stuff, be mentally ready to have to register it in WA or later surrender it if they go completely extreme and require these things. And that's not a far fetched event. It's probably more likely than not.
3. Don't have them and go without... bring pump shotguns and low capacity magazines... maybe...

There's no good answer other than pick a different state if you care about your liberty and avoiding a plague disease of liberalism infesting your kids minds in school, and homelessness, and so forth.

God be with you if you go into the shadow of the valley of death... aka one of the worst states for gun rights...

I would love to be wrong about this but my guess is that Washington will be californicated within the next 5-10 years. It's inevitable unless something significant happens that stops the growth of the disease that is Seattle.

Possibly worse. It's certainly a race to be the worst in the nation.

Right now WA is still not as bad. You can still get a carry permit and technically buy ARs and AKs and any pistols. I doubt that will remain the case, like you said, in the coming few election cycles.

The problem for Washington is that CA paved the way and WA has learned from their gun-control mis-steps and corrected course accordingly to be more effective. Right now WA is clearly better than CA given what is banned so far. But I do think WA might realistically tie or overtake CA pretty quickly given the currently discussed legislation in WA.

My daughter and I started shooting USPSA so will be trying to hook up with a local club. My wife will be joining me this summer and she loves to shoot trap so will be looking for a local trap range too.

As for what you are looking for, your options are extremely limited within 30 miles of Tacoma. I can think of only maybe 1 or 2 places unless you have your own big piece of private land with no zoning. Paul Bunyan range in Puyallup is a private range that offers shooting events and has a small trap area. It's about $100 annually, plus any fees for participation. There might be another 1 or 2 places but most of the ranges have really stupid rules like either only 1 round in the gun at a time or 8 rounds in your magazine. They are effectively killing shooting sports in Pierce and King counties.

The gun shows were all effectively gutted as well. Almost non-existent today.

Good luck.

As for what you are looking for, your options are extremely limited within 30 miles of Tacoma. I can think of only maybe 1 or 2 places unless you have your own big piece of private land with no zoning. Paul Bunyan range in Puyallup is a private range that offers shooting events and has a small trap area. It's about $100 annually, plus any fees for participation. There might be another 1 or 2 places but most of the ranges have really stupid rules like either only 1 round in the gun at a time or 8 rounds in your magazine. They are effectively killing shooting sports in Pierce and King counties.

The gun shows were all effectively gutted as well. Almost non-existent today.

Good luck.
I thought he was moving to Camas, not Tacoma.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top