JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Once.....a long time ago.
I thought about it (moving to CA with my collection) for about 15 seconds.

IIRC..... Your firearms needs approval to enter CA.

Aloha, Mark

PS.......but think about it......
Criminals-Obey-the-law.jpg

YOU will be one. If you don't follow their laws.

Last Edited:
To do it legally, within 60 days of moving into California, you must notify the CA Dept. of Justice that you have brought the guns into the state. You submit a BOF 4010A form. There is a $19 fee. There are documentation requirements for ID. You need to list every gun on the form that you "imported." For more than one firearm, you fill out not a complete application but the parts for specific ID of a firearm. It can run into a lot of paperwork.

BUT: Be aware that you cannot bring what their law defines as semi auto "assault rifles" into California legally.

One thing I read, this applies to firearms that were purchased outside of California. So it seems like if you've been a California resident previously, bought a gun there, subsequently moved out of state and are now going back again, I don't think that counts as an "import." Which might be worth knowing if it concerns a handgun that was never or is no longer on the approved roster.

(bad dope removed)

There is no retroactive requirement in California for an on-going resident to register a gun they already own. If a person had been a somewhat long-time resident of California, they might own guns acquired previously by means that didn't put them on paper. For quite a few years, all transfers have gone on paper. But if you are a new resident, and somehow or another an LEO ran a trace on your firearm and it turned out not to be on the DOJ records, you would have some explaining to do.

Last Edited:
California's gun laws are stupid as hell. I made my sig m400 tread featureless. They shouldn't be able to say anything. But it's a communist state so we will see. Bonus I'll get to vote for Caitlyn Jenner lol, not sure how I feel about that but I guess it's better than Gavin newsom

To do it legally, within 60 days of moving into California, you must notify the CA Dept. of Justice that you have brought the guns into the state. You submit a BOF 4010A form. There is a $19 fee. There are documentation requirements for ID. You need to list every gun on the form that you "imported." For more than one firearm, you fill out not a complete application but the parts for specific ID of a firearm. It can run into a lot of paperwork.

BUT: Be aware that you cannot bring what their law defines as semi auto "assault rifles" into California legally. Also, you may only bring into California handguns that are on the current approved roster. As I inderstand it.

One thing I read, this applies to firearms that were purchased outside of California. So it seems like if you've been a California resident previously, bought a gun there, subsequently moved out of state and are now going back again, I don't think that counts as an "import." Which might be worth knowing if it concerns a handgun that was never or is no longer on the approved roster.

If this involves handguns, I think it would be smart to look closely at that roster of approved handguns BEFORE moving to California. This may have a bearing on the plans for some of your holdings. You don't want to get there, make application to the DOJ, then have them say that you must surrender X, Y and Z handgun to the local police dept. because importing them was unlawful. Like a Colt 1911, for example.

There is no retroactive requirement in California for an on-going resident to register a gun they already own. If a person had been a somewhat long-time resident of California, they might own guns acquired previously by means that didn't put them on paper. For quite a few years, all transfers have gone on paper. But if you are a new resident, and somehow or another an LEO ran a trace on your firearm and it turned out not to be on the DOJ records, you would have some explaining to do.
Great advice

Also look at the flowcharts on the regular (not mobile) version of the CalGuns website. That will give you a pretty good idea of whether a gun is a California-banned "assault weapon." Handguns do not need to be on roster to be brought in by a new resident. They cannot be "assault weapons" however so no threaded barrels, no other AW features, not banned by name.
If moving to CA with firearms a person really needs to spend time reading the laws there because they are ridiculous and complex. Guessing based on common sense will not work.

Handguns do not need to be on roster to be brought in by a new resident.
Further word, link to a discussion about same:

There is the "magazine thing." I don't know what the resolution of that has been, if any. I think it's still under appeal. This may be a factor with some semi-auto pistols.

There are many people there who have a C&R FFL and a California COE. That allows them to buy ammo direct to their doorstep.
Other people stock up on ammo before moving there.

You need to go through an FFL to buy ammo so if you have a traffic infraction you might as well auction them off.
Or a store front gun store. Go to the FFL if you can find a retailer that will ship to CA and the FFL will hold it for you. Fewer and fewer online retailers want to ship to CA.

Well, I did the reverse and moved from CA to WA early last year, one web site you should check out is calguns.net. They have a very active community and great info there.

Note that CA has something call a "Roster of approved handguns", meaning, many handguns are not approved for sale in CA. So if you're a pistol kind of guy, be sure to buy everything you need before your moved. And if you have extra cash, buy up every 9mm Gen 5 Glock and also those single stack slim type (e.g. Glock 43) you can lay your hands on and after moving to CA, flip those for 3 to 5 times of the price you paid for those here.

There is another thing that can impact you, you will no longer be able to order ammo online. Sorry buddy, that privilege will be denied to you. You can purchase ammo online and have them shipped to a local FFL however, that is if the online store and FFL agrees to do so. And each time your purchase ammo, you will need to go through a background check.

Some local cities will have additional rules too, for example in San Jose, they just approved a bill that will now require you to pay additional taxes for your guns and you have to carry insurance. So before you decide where to stay in CA, be very careful and make sure there won't be surprise taxes and fees.

Good luck with your move. If you have moving to the SF Bay Area, consider joining a local gun club such as the Sunnyvale Rod and Gun Club. Wife and I were members there before moving to WA and they have very dedicated members who will assist you with gun ownership.

Everybody who MAKES guns seems to either be leaving, or has left already.

Seems very odd to me, that the home of the US Navy and its SEALs, peed in the eye of Ken Barrett, maker of THE definitive semi-auto .50 rifle, and others. They all voted with their companies and went to friendly states......

Everybody who MAKES guns seems to either be leaving, or has left already.

Seems very odd to me, that the home of the US Navy and its SEALs, peed in the eye of Ken Barrett, maker of THE definitive semi-auto .50 rifle, and others. They all voted with their companies and went to friendly states......
There is also Weatherby, famous for their high precision bolt action hunting rifles. They were located in CA and I visited their showroom once, very nice. Moved to Wyoming about 3 years ago.

Just a word to the wise, if a person buys off roster handguns and takes them to California for the purpose of resale, the roster exemption for a new resident's own collection would not apply and would possibly be a crime. The .gov does not necessarily need an admission that the new resident intended to resell them, they could use other facts such as buying multiples of the same model, reselling the guns quickly after getting a California driver's license, etc.

The California DoJ has recently sent letters to all law enforcement officers in the state warning them that some types of LEOs are not allowed to sell off roster handguns that they bought using the LEO exemption. The California DoJ is eager to make it difficult for non-LEO to acquire modern off roster handguns. And the state's database tracks whether a transferred gun is on or off roster.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top