JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I can help you out with choosing schools.

If you're keeping your kids public, you could do a lot worse than Beaverton. You could do better too.

Beaverton is actually the most diverse city in Oregon. It has Portland beat in terms of racial, ethnic, religious, and economic diversity.

Because of this, Beaverton school district has a lot of "diversity" in performance and quality between its different "feeder lines". There are pretty significant quality differences between the 5 high schools in the district.

You want your kid to go to Southridge, Sunset, or Westview. Avoid Beaverton High School and Aloha. BHS is the worst, aloha only slightly better.

So what you want to do is make sure you're moving into the correct neighborhood that is in the feeder line of elementary and middle schools that will feed into one of the better 3 schools.

https://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/school-info

Use that website to check the demographics of the different schools, you will see what I mean.

Even in the better three feeder lines, there's some problems with Beaverton public schools. But these problems are becoming problematic in every single Portland Metro school district now, and are very hard to avoid in the public setting almost anywhere.

There are towns like Banks that have better demographics and quality of kids in terms of being good folks that don't encourage nasty behaviors -- but then you'd lose out on better teachers and opportunities for advanced students.

If I had a very average child, a B-average type kid, I'd send them to Banks. They'd be a 4.0 student at Banks and grow up around mostly good kids with good values. They'd have fewer opportunities for advanced learning, but if they aren't genetically gifted in intelligence it wouldn't be the biggest loss.

If my kid was genetically advanced in intelligence, he'd maybe be better off in a Beaverton school with all the resources and clubs and opportunities for kids who actually want to put in work and effort and are really smart.

I don't have kids yet, but I have a lot of experience in Portland Metro public and private schools. So feel free to pick my brain on anything related.

Personally, my future kids will be going to Catholic school. My parents would help us pay for the tuition if money became a problem. My folks aren't rich but my grandparents did the same thing to make sure myself and my siblings got superior opportunities and education (academically AND morally).

There are a lot of very good Catholic and other private schools in the area if that is a route you are considering as well. Many offer scholarships and assistance.

If they stay on that private path, Jesuit, Central Catholic and St. Mary's are some of the better rated schools in the COUNTRY.

Or homeschool your kids. That way you don't have to live in an area with "good" schools (although you will find, like in Lake Woebegon, the realtors will tell you all the schools are above average no matter which one you are looking at).

As to CNC work, I just have vague ideas. I don't know of any in Beaverton but either Tualatin or Milwaukie probably have some of that kind of work. Or North Portland? Actually you'd be better off just googling to find where those shops are.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top