JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Moving to TN in a couple of months. Wife's company paying furniture move and up to a month storage which we will need until we find a good rental house.

Just found this out yesterday and am thinking one of those PODS. Can't find anything on their site saying I can't send and store my, (LOL), arsenal with them.

Other option is our vehicle or vehicles if I don't sell one before our move. That has implications too.

Collection will hopefully be pared down to maybe 4 long guns and maybe 4 handguns as well as a few hundred rounds of assorted ammo.

What do you guys think is a good option? Want to be legal and not risk being ripped off.

I'm sure the ammo is a no, no btw in a pod.
found this on the site as well.

Which Types of Property are not covered?*
conprot_07.jpg
PODS will not be responsible for certain items stored by you in the container to include money, jewelry, furs, firearms, computer software or programs, credit cards, and certain other invaluable and irreplaceable items. Additionally, theft of your contents while the container is in your care including damage to your contents stored in the PODS container caused by improper packing, normal shifting or your willful or intentional acts are not covered by the Contents Protection Option

Last Edited:
Are you flying or driving?

If flying, you might be able to check your guns in a case and put them on the plane.

If your driving then I would get at a minimum a stack on cabinet that locks, fill it with your guns and pack foam into every little space left over and leave it in the POD.

The ammo, I'm not sure about. I would check with FedEx and see what flat shipping would be for the weight of the ammo.

If your driving, leave the guns in the POD and take the ammo in the car.

Need a little more info but that's probably what I would do.

And pack a case of bug repellent :p.

Best of luck on the move - hope you stay on the forum.

That's a tough one.

On one hand they do EVERYTHING for you.

On the other hand, you have strangers digging thru and packing your stuff.

Might have better insurance options then the POD - which I am not a fan of.

If your downsizing and driving, what about buying a large enclosed trailer and then resell it when you get to where your going if there is a decent market for trailers where your heading.

I see no reason to get rid of or store your guns for a move to Tennessee. Take them with.

Our last move was paid for by my employer, their moving company recommended packing all our valuables (i.e. guns, jewlery, computers, etc.) in our car and handling them ourselves. If you don't have room for everything then the trailer/van option might be the way to go. You may even be able to do a hybrid type move, where you rent a Uhaul and tow your car at the employers expense, while leaving the bulk of the move to a moving company.

I agree with what Roop said. I moved a lot during my service and have found for protection of my personal items ( stuff I didn't want others to know about) I handled my self. I would rent a U Haul truck and load my safe and other valuables up front in the nose and then fill with the things we would be in need of when we got where we were going. every thing else was handled by a moving Co. If you don't have enough stuff to fill a U Haul and a moving Co truck, I would get the Moving truck my self and Pack the things I didn't want others handling first, then hire a moving Co to load your truck the rest of the way. this works out nicely and if you do the driving you can save quite a bit. DO the same in reverse when you arrive at your new home and you should be good to go! One thing I will add is to make sure you provide your own high grade lock and keep your move where you can see it, these can get broken into or stolen and that is a risk, but moving Co have some of the same problems. I recommend ABF freight as they handle Peoples moves all the time and have a good reputation and a pretty good rate! Best of luck to you, have a safe move!

With that number of weapons, I'm not sure why you wouldn't just move them yourself. Either take them on the plane with you or in the trunk of the car that you drive out. There really is no "safe" option that involves movers and/or storage. Alternatively you could ship them via FedEx/UPS to a friend or relative in the area or perhaps an FFL would be willing to receive them and hold them for a short period of time in exchange for a small fee of some sort.

As for the ammo with that little, I would just shoot it before you go and buy more once you get there. That little isn't worth hassling over.

Well, NEWBY, I hope that you are planning on continuing to participate on the site!
Only advice I have is to keep your guns under your personal control. And, remember how often we see on the news, where someone has lost they're most important stuff because they're rental van/truck was boosted! Best of luck to you! SRG

:s0101:

I was going to mention the uhaul and them being targeted but forgot. Get a shipping container lock for the back and a cheesy alarm for the drivers door to wake you up.

The only thing about traveling in the car with them is....

The outback has no trunk, easier target for criminals.
We will be taking a slow tour of the Country and stopping countless times and overnighting.
We are going to be hurting for space although they won't take up too much room.

As for a trailer, Don't think the 4 banger Outback can haul one easily.

We still might take both cars though and the other has a trunk although I would split the collection between the two in that case.

As for legalities? Not going through CA or the North East so I guess my Mini-14 and full capacity
semi auto handguns are ok if unloaded and not readily accessible even without a trunk?
I gotta check the route we will take and be sure of local laws.

I plan on staying connected here for awhile after the move as well. It's been a fun site that actually keeps the gun grabbers at bay in Salem somewhat I believe.
What's happening here and in CA and WA against the 2ndA is spreading and must be stopped.

Recently moved myself. Everything of value I kept under lock and key secured. Of course, my drive to the West Side was only about 8 hours. I hear Tennessee is considerably further. LOL Best wishes and successful move to you!

I did the POD when I moved here from Seattle.

They definitely do not want ammo or gasoline or anything like that.

That said, I did put most of my ammo in the POD anyway. They don't open it.

One note: Everything will shift unless you have it secured very well. I had some "helpers" who didn't take that into account. A few things were damaged, but not very much. I had a hell of a time getting the door open.

I brought my firearms down here myself in my car and truck (I made several trips).

If you can put your firearms in something that will protect them even if something falls on them, then you will probably be fine. Putting them towards the front would probably be best as someone would have to unload the POD to get to them. I will say though, the sides on these PODs are a heavy plastic, so a person could cut into them a little easier than a metal container. Also, it is possible for the roof to leak - so yes, get the option to insure the contents.

Also, allow for the time for it to get there. Mine took a month, even though it was less than 300 miles. :eek:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top