JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Empty it, strap it on a solid pallet and go. They rock and slide pretty easy on a concrete slab. Forklift rentals are fairly cheap. That's how I would do it.

*edit* you could try a pallet jack and a ramp, but would be leery about ramp strength on a U-Haul or the like.

Last Edited:
Skateboard and duct tape!
I had one pro (years ago at another house) move an 800lb safe solo up and over thresholds, a couple curbs and up and down the truck ramp etc.. I was impressed. He was a pro and strong. He used a regular dolly and not one of these fancy ones with telescopic (think leverage) handle and wheels perhaps on the long flat in addition to the regular wheels..

good luck

Myself and around six friends (and we were all young and strong) moved the aforementioned safe from the store to my then apartment using my little pickup (tip it and lie it on its side or back.. and of course strap it down) and a regular dolly. The pickup deal was no big deal but just getting it up one or so curbs, one threshold and the tight corners in there, we all were lucky we didn't get crushed to death and no damage to the walls etc. We kinda had a clue but things can go wrong very quickly if you're not careful.

Load it first thing on the truck. Up front and centered. Tied down as good as you can. I had two 900lb safes when we moved from CA. Best thing I ever did. Good luck.

Remember beer after everything is moved.

thanks everybody. Yes, very happy to be out of that place.

More info - I can get it on a pallet without issue. My problem is getting it on and off the moving truck. Can't find a U-Haul type company with a lift gate. The forklift rental is worth looking into.

thanks,
-todd

May want to look into a trailer to rent. They have a much lower deck. That's how I moved my 4000 lb safe with just myself and a friend. We are not spring chickens but not daffers yet either.

They are cheap from uhaul and you could throw any outside stuff on there as well.

I believe uhaul will outfit your rental with the appropriate ball and such.

Have you looked at Penske or Budget? They're prices were way more reasonable than U-Haul from what I remember from my move and better equipment to boot(lift gate options). If not as Joe said low trailer is also a good option.

Many moving truck van decks are around the same height as a pickup.. I wouldn't use the ramp myself, though as I said, I saw one guy do it all by himself on a quite steep ramp. Just transport it on its back or side (but all the way to the front and nailed down).

:confused:
I haven't tried Budget yet but Penske told me the don't rent their lift gate trucks one way. Had several bad experiences with U-Haul - won't use them again.

Yeah U-Maul's service and ridiculous prices is only rivaled by their POS equipment. I ended up going with Budget because they were the cheapest. I was extremely pleased with the newer truck we got and the wider and less steep steel ramp in back for moving everything in and out. Depending on schedule Flexability also try and rent early to mid week to save some coin...prices go up late week and weekends and don't trust one Penske or Budget quote, call around for best one. They're privately owned franchises who have a lot of liberty when it comes to tweaking prices. Best of luck man ...airs fresh up here. Cheers

:confused:

Yeah U-Maul's service and ridiculous prices is only rivaled by their POS equipment and their incredibly hostile attitude. I ended up going with Budget because they were the cheapest. I was extremely pleased with the newer truck we got and the wider and less steep steel ramp in back for moving everything in and out. Depending on schedule Flexability also try and rent early to mid week to save some coin...prices go up late week and weekends and don't trust one Penske or Budget quote, call around for best one. They're privately owned franchises who have a lot of liberty when it comes to tweaking prices. Best of luck man ...airs fresh up here. Cheers

There I fixed it for you Quacky!:)

1/2" electrical metal conduit cut to the width of the safe, makes for a very easy way to roll across flat hard surfaces. You only need 4 or 5 rollers to keep laying one down in front of the safe.
A cheap Harbor Freight floor dolly for the ramp and most moving trucks have D rings in the floor, so you could use a ratchet strap to drag it up the ramp and then use the same ratchet to tie it down.

How about having it shipped up here? That way all you need to do is get it on a pallet, let the shipping company provide a truck with a lift gate and a pallet jack. If you're paying to rent a forklift, you're probably looking at the cost to have a shipping company transport it. It's worth looking into. I bought a safe and it's being delivered by USF Reddaway. Maybe make a few calls to shipping companies before you make your final decision.

How about having it shipped up here? That way all you need to do is get it on a pallet, let the shipping company provide a truck with a lift gate and a pallet jack. If you're paying to rent a forklift, you're probably looking at the cost to have a shipping company transport it. It's worth looking into. I bought a safe and it's being delivered by USF Reddaway. Maybe make a few calls to shipping companies before you make your final decision.

That sounds like a good option if you can trade money for piece of mind!
If it sounds interesting you might call the safes original manufacturer for suggestions. Good luck with your move! SRG

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top