JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
so decided to bail back to AL.
Movers showed up, and things got strange.
Movers say the typically move gun safes empty, and wrap guns / gun cases and put in box.
I said, I don't think you can do that...as that would be a "transfer" under Oregon law. If guns are in safe, and I have key...IMO this would not be a transfer....but in a box, they would have possession.

Anybody have any thoughts on this OR anyone moved recently?

I would normally say okay, as the guns would be OOS by the time anyone noticed...but they are spring my goods for 1-2?months before my new house is built

Thanks for input

Id be concern about some coming up missing if not in a safe.
I see your point as well, its one thing handling the safe, its another handling the
firearms. Id tell them I want the safe moved, whats in it, doesn't matter.
Be sure the insurance covers any loss, and make sure you have documents on each firearm.
I am not sure, but I think its not an issue as much taking something out of state as it is bringing it in.
Therefore insecure firearms do not seem right. Just my thoughts not sure on the legality.

so decided to bail back to AL.
Movers showed up, and things got strange.
Movers say the typically move gun safes empty, and wrap guns / gun cases and put in box.
I said, I don't think you can do that...as that would be a "transfer" under Oregon law. If guns are in safe, and I have key...IMO this would not be a transfer....but in a box, they would have possession.

Anybody have any thoughts on this OR anyone moved recently?

I would normally say okay, as the guns would be OOS by the time anyone noticed...but they are spring my goods for 1-2?months before my new house is built

Thanks for input

Maybe it is their policy? Maybe they've had too many claims that safe's were moved and items inside got damaged from moving/shipping? I can see why they would want to empty it so they cannot be held accountable for any "shifting" inside the safe, and items ending up damaged.

If removing firearms from a safe is "typically" what they do, maybe you can just sign a waiver that you will take responsibility of anything that might become damaged in your safe during the moving process? Also remember, depending on the size of your safe it is probably fairly heavy empty. Imagine how much it weighs with stuff inside. I know that falling short of a crane and some sort of way to attach it to the safe, I'd have an impossible time moving my safe without causing items inside to shift and become damaged.

Is there any way you can move them yourself? Let the packers pack everything else and you load and move your guns in a vehicle that you'd be driving?

First thing I'd do I'd call their office and asked for a written policy hard copy with highlighted such requirement if there is the one.
My thought is that movers are just curious of what you have.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top