JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I will be moving to Linn County in September and currently hold a Marion County CHL. I couldn't find the answer easily on the web but, will I need to apply for one immediately in the new county or can I wait until my old one expires. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Oregon is Oregon. Don't know the "legal technicalities" of your situation, but I'd guess to wait until yours is about to expire then go to the new place and renew it.

(following)

I did this in 2014 (moved from Polk to Yamhill County).
Legally, if your address on your DL says Linn County, your Marion County CHL would be invalid.

However, I now live in WA (and have a WA DL) and when I contacted the Yamhill County Sheriff regarding my CHL, they said it is valid since it has not expired. I do still own a home in Yamhill County, and my family lives there.

IIRC you have a certain amount of days to change your CHL and ODL address which would require you to get a CHL and ODL issued in linn co.

i would call the linn co sheriffs office and ask them.

Seems weird that you'd have to do anything other than advise both agencies of an address change...This is not advise, an observation only.

When I moved from Clackamas county to Marion county I changed my CHL and ODL around the same time. I think I saw something on the Marion county website about getting you CHL changed within so many days after changing residence. I don't remember for sure, and it's been almost 6 years, so things may have changed. I would contact Linn county to fine out for sure.

This is all I could find in a quick search. The criteria for CHL's is governed by State
law, but administered by the County Sheriff. Check with the sheriff in Linn Co.

ORS 166.295 (2)

(2)If a licensee changes residence, the licensee shall report the change of address and the sheriff shall issue a new license as a duplication for a change of address. The license shall expire upon the same date as would the original. [1989 c.839 §10; 1993 c.735 §7; 2007 c.368 §4]

Thankfully, Linn County is a good county for getting a CHL. Go to the courthouse in Albany with your paperwork and your new address (change it online on your drivers license). Maybe take proof of new residence. The ladies in the office have always been really nice.

Much simpler than Deschutes County ever was...

If I recall, I remember reading somewhere you have 30 days. The mechanism and cost varies with the sheriff's office in your new county. When I moved from Washington County to Yamhill (who's sheriff is VERY pro-2A), I simply turned in an application with my Washington county CCL and paid a nominal "transfer" fee. My understanding is that other counties might make you go through the whole background check, etc. basically starting over.

FFS,

Having to notify the nanny state of having moved, because some how the status of you not being a felon is in anyway tied whatsoever to the address you happen to sleep at often.

Mine was transferred in 3 days and it was at my house.

When you have UPDATED THE DMV with your new address, go get your CHL changed. I changed mine online and the next day I went in to the Sheriffs.

No need to take any proof paperwork.

Linn county uses dmv records to verify address, errors between the two will delay.

This is NOT legal advice:
I was informed when I was at the Linn Co sheriff's that I was good with their receipt assuming "you have no reason your transfer will be denied" which I didn't. I kept the paper copy in my car and a photo on my phone.

Mine was transferred in 3 days and it was at my house.

When you have UPDATED THE DMV with your new address, go get your CHL changed. I changed mine online and the next day I went in to the Sheriffs.

No need to take any proof paperwork.

Linn county uses dmv records to verify address, errors between the two will delay.

This is NOT legal advice:
I was informed when I was at the Linn Co sheriff's that I was good with their receipt assuming "you have no reason your transfer will be denied" which I didn't. I kept the paper copy in my car and a photo on my phone.

Did you have to do a new background check or was there a form for only the address change?

Everyone write or call Prozanski, Brown, Burdick, etc and request that they stop putting our street address on CHLs and drivers licenses - name and city are enough - all LEOs can get your street address instantly with CHL or DL number. If a bad guy gets your CHL or DL, and if your house keys are with them (in purse for example), he knows where to find guns and has the keys to the house - putting all occupants of the house in danger as well as the community if they successfully your steal guns. Why does the state do stupid shi+ that endangers people? :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
If you have changed your address thru dmv already I would not carry until you apply for a new chl , they will give you a temporary card/paper until the new one arrives

You must contact the county that you are moving to make an address change. Your CHL address must match your ODL or it is subject to confiscation.

I did all of this just yesterday in moving from Multnomah County to Washington County. Washington County made this fairly easy to do as I would expect Linn County to do.. I made the appointment while waiting for my ODL address change sticker. Once you have this you can make the CHL change. You will also need to bring your passport or copy of your birth certificate as proof of citizenship (I forgot my passport necessitating two trips).

Good luck. Hope this helps.

From the Linn County website:
Concealed Handguns - Linn County Sheriff's Office

upload_2019-7-11_11-56-13.png

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews