JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Tossing some ideas around and I'm thinking about move to Las Vegas. If i'm moving from Portland to Las Vegas with 6 guns, my initial idea was to just drive them. Is this a good idea? Or is shipping via Fedex/UPS easier/safer ?

Edit: i have 2 California banned guns. And lots of CA banned magazines.

Last Edited:
Drive them, unloaded in a locked container, like a trunk or lockable gun case. It would be quite expensive to ship 6 guns overnight priority (required) and to whom?

Yup, drive them.

You can drive thru California, I believe, transporting California banned items. Just do as noted above.

Our drive back from South Carolina with inherited firearms from my Dad, we avoided driving thru California completely.

Simply didn't want any possibility of a hassle in California.

Avoiding California to get to LV would tack on roundabout a few hours to the drive. Realistically. However goes thru some nice & interesting country you likely wouldn't see otherwise.

Neighbor just moved to Arizona about a month ago. Money was not a real issue for them, but after looking into it still chose to drive his guns down in the convoy of their cars. So yeah, drive 'em.

Besides the legalities take all the precautions you'd take transporting anything valuable, ie, low profile, don't overnight in a sketchy area, etc.

Tossing some ideas around and I'm thinking about move to Las Vegas. If i'm moving from Portland to Las Vegas with 6 guns, my initial idea was to just drive them. Is this a good idea? Or is shipping via Fedex/UPS easier/safer ?
Drive. Unloaded, locked. No problem. Be aware Nevada just took our OR CHL off its recoprocity list, the pricks. Just avoid CA, which is easy to do if you take the East Route over Mt. Hood, Warm Springs, down through Bend, over to Burns. Alternately take OR58 just south of Eugene to Crescent Cutoff east of Oakridge, N on US97, to OR31 through Silver Lake to OR140 into Nevada, to US95 which takes you all the way to Vegas. I just did this drive literally last week, from Eugene. Stop at The Pig in Winnemucca if you like BBQ.

Neighbor just moved to Arizona about a month ago. Money was not a real issue for them, but after looking into it still chose to drive his guns down in the convoy of their cars. So yeah, drive 'em.

Besides the legalities take all the precautions you'd take transporting anything valuable, ie, low profile, don't overnight in a sketchy area, etc.
Writing from AZ... I hope your neighbor enjoys my half-the-year home state and votes accordingly. 😎

Oh rest assured. He didn't just move, he fled Oregon with purpose. A stand up guy, a no-kidding combat purple heart vet, politics here was driving him mad.

During the election he flew a Blue Line flag and a Trump flag, flanking the stars and stripes that was always mounted on the front of his house. In our neighborhood of BLM signs.

He's a good man. Arizona's gain is Oregon's loss.

When my wife and I moved up here, we drove up our stuff on two separate occasions (the initial move, then going back for things left behind about a year later).

The second time up, we did Phoenix to Beaverton in 2 days by way of Twin Falls and Boise. Absolutely stunning countryside and I highly recommend it. The difference in timing to Vegas is negligible in my book.

If you want to get the drive done in a day, then just go the fastest route that avoids Cali (even if a map says Cali is faster...it isn't). Otherwise, take two and enjoy the ride.

i dont think current situation in Portland or OR in general is that bad now. But direction is bad and i feel lots of decent people are leaving. And i rather be in earlier wave out.
800+% increase in Portland homicides over last year, just traveled to 9 other states and we are still the most locked down by a factor of about 10 (including over Cali), Portland officers fleeing with exit interview quotes like, "the only difference between PPB and the Titanic is deck chairs and a band," new gun control laws passed this session, legalization and decriminalization of hard drugs, a homeless issue that is being fostered by the leftist politics...

Yea, it's that bad now.

800+% increase in Portland homicides over last year, just traveled to 9 other states and we are still the most locked down by a factor of about 10 (including over Cali), Portland officers fleeing with exit interview quotes like, "the only difference between PPB and the Titanic is deck chairs and a band," new gun control laws passed this session, legalization and decriminalization of hard drugs, a homeless issue that is being fostered by the leftist politics...

Yea, it's that bad now.
And pay more attention to your gross and net pay columns on your pay statements….. o_O

I did the move this year, OR to TX. Put all guns to "soaks" put those in a duffle bag. Off we drove 2300 miles.

Cheaper living, next to no regulations, friendly people, great roads.

Yea, it's that bad now.
Ah, yes I see...the homicide rate went from 5.579 per 100k to 8.058 per 100k residents, for totals of 36 in 2019 and 52 in 2020. For context, Chicago had 28 per 100k and my old stomping ground in Phoenix had 12/100k.

Portland's small size makes for impressive percentages, which are then used to obscure its small size.

Ah, yes I see...the homicide rate went from 5.579 per 100k to 8.058 per 100k residents, for totals of 36 in 2019 and 52 in 2020. For context, Chicago had 28 per 100k and my old stomping ground in Phoenix had 12/100k.

Portland's small size makes for impressive percentages, which are then used to obscure its small size.
Now do 2021's number.

Yea, it's that bad now.
I think what happened is the most radical elements of California could no longer afford to live in the cesspool they created and all decided over a few years "hey let's go ruin Oregon!" I do not wish harm on any person, but I would not shed a tear if each one of them were carjacked by a thug they refused to put in prison. Poetic justice being the sweet nectar it is.

Last Edited:
Reno to Hillsboro, through California. All were in the safe, bubble wrapped. Safe was the first thing put in the truck, IE behind the rest of the house. ZERO ISSUES.

Best luck in Vegas. I've got a friend down there. Hot as F and water is getting ludicrously expensive. He pays almost $200 a month for his water.

Oh rest assured. He didn't just move, he fled Oregon with purpose. A stand up guy, a no-kidding combat purple heart vet, politics here was driving him mad.

During the election he flew a Blue Line flag and a Trump flag, flanking the stars and stripes that was always mounted on the front of his house. In our neighborhood of BLM signs.

He's a good man. Arizona's gain is Oregon's loss.
Well we're happy to have him then! 👍

AZ has been slowly turning purple do to the ease of the California plague fleeing the bubblegumhole it created and bringing with it all the trappings. As of now, we are holding a slim majority but do remember this state went to Harris in the last election. At least for now -- they're still counting the votes as I'm sure you also know. We need all the stand-up guys we can get!

But constitutional carry for now!

Last Edited:
When my wife and I moved up here, we drove up our stuff on two separate occasions (the initial move, then going back for things left behind about a year later).

The second time up, we did Phoenix to Beaverton in 2 days by way of Twin Falls and Boise. Absolutely stunning countryside and I highly recommend it. The difference in timing to Vegas is negligible in my book.

If you want to get the drive done in a day, then just go the fastest route that avoids Cali (even if a map says Cali is faster...it isn't). Otherwise, take two and enjoy the ride.
Love that drive through Utah/So. Idaho. Twin Falls is a real gem!

Yea, it's that bad now.
I just did this drive last week (Eugene to Phoenix thru NV). I remember leaving Eugene and getting dirty looks from everyone at Bi-Mart for not wearing a mask (even though Bi-Mart policy says it's optional) and stopping for the night in Winnemucca -- NOT A MASK IN SIGHT! It was like "I can breathe again!"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top