JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I am moving back to Oregon from Alaska in the next several months, and from what I can tell the person-to-person firearm sales laws have changed significantly in my absence. Before I left PDX 6ish years ago there were no real restrictions on personal firearm transactions; several times I'd met people from this forum in parking lots and just bought/sold firearms out of the trunk. I'd heard they closed that loophole and personal sales all require an FFL and BGC, which is fine with me, but how does it work now? Does a buyer meet a seller at a gun shop to do the transfer and BGC, or does the seller have to ship to an FFL? Are there certain FFLs that are sympathetic to personal sales and charge a smaller fee? How does it work with straight across trades? Same deal?

Thank you for taking the time to educate me on Oregon's new firearm sales laws.

Jordan

Sorry to hear you must move back here, in my opinion there are much better states to live in now. I am too old to move or I would happily leave.:) The new gun laws are just a part of the growing expense to live here but basically the state requires you to use an FFL to sell your guns unless you are at a gunshow.

So I am moving back to Oregon from Alaska in the next several months, and from what I can tell the person-to-person firearm sales laws have changed significantly in my absence. Before I left PDX 6ish years ago there were no real restrictions on personal firearm transactions; several times I'd met people from this forum in parking lots and just bought/sold firearms out of the trunk. I'd heard they closed that loophole and personal sales all require an FFL and BGC, which is fine with me, but how does it work now? Does a buyer meet a seller at a gun shop to do the transfer and BGC, or does the seller have to ship to an FFL? Are there certain FFLs that are sympathetic to personal sales and charge a smaller fee? How does it work with straight across trades? Same deal?

Thank you for taking the time to educate me on Oregon's new firearm sales laws.

Jordan

A lot of FFL's are friendly about doing the transfers. When you move back this site here is a great place to find them where you end up.

Suggestion.

If you can, buy whatever guns you want to buy now while you are in Alaska.

It is only going to get worse, and the fewer guns you have on the books, especially the records that Orygun keeps, the less issues you will have later when they come knocking on doors.

Safe travels to ya!

Yah, it's a hassle, but it's the law.

Both seller & buyer meet at an FFL. FFL needs an ID from the seller with the sellers current address.

Buyer needs current ID & fills out the form and gets thumb prints.

FFL takes possession of the fire arm. Buyer pays seller.

Buyer or seller pays the FFL the fee (or they split it) for the background check. Whichever was agreed to when listing the for sale.

Technically the firearm is the property of the FFL once in there book until the buyers background check clears. That's why some folk still prefer selling to a buyer with a Concealed Handgun license...much higher chance that they would pass the BGC.

Most FFLs will not let either party leave until the buyer BGC clears.

Just a note, that was never a "loophole" it was the law, they just made a new law to make it tougher for law abiding folks.

Thank you. I was going to say it if nobody else did. The gun control crowd loves to use the term "loophole" to describe freedoms they want to take away or rights they want to infringe.

The new UBC law only applies to us law abiding folks anyway. Criminals still use the selling-stolen-guns- from-the-trunk-in-a-dark-alley loophole. That's the loophole they need to close.

Consider the Right side of the cascades, Yamhill County, or the State of Jefferson.

License plate fees are going up
Priviledge Tax goes into effect in Jan
Texting or using nav while driving laws....

Safe travels to ya!

Yah, it's a hassle, but it's the law.

Both seller & buyer meet at an FFL. FFL needs an ID from the seller with the sellers current address.

Buyer needs current ID & fills out the form and gets thumb prints.

FFL takes possession of the fire arm. Buyer pays seller.

Buyer or seller pays the FFL the fee (or they split it) for the background check. Whichever was agreed to when listing the for sale.

Technically the firearm is the property of the FFL once in there book until the buyers background check clears. That's why some folk still prefer selling to a buyer with a Concealed Handgun license...much higher chance that they would pass the BGC.

Most FFLs will not let either party leave until the buyer BGC clears.

That all seems fairly reasonable to me...I won't say I don't miss meeting someone at the zoo parking lot to buy a pistol out of their trunk, however I could definitely see that old system being an easy way for a bad guy to get a gun with no BGC. As a law abiding citizen who can easily pass the check, I'm willing to take that hit to keep everyone just a little safer. Your comment about selling to a conceal carry license holder...does that actually speed up the process or is it just for peace of mind for the seller?

Thank you. I was going to say it if nobody else did. The gun control crowd loves to use the term "loophole" to describe freedoms they want to take away or rights they want to infringe.

The new UBC law only applies to us law abiding folks anyway. Criminals still use the selling-stolen-guns- from-the-trunk-in-a-dark-alley loophole. That's the loophole they need to close.

When I use the term "loophole", my train of logic is such: "I want a gun, but the law states that I need to have a background check to purchase it. I do not want to do that because I am a felon, but the law ALSO states that person to person transactions do not require a background check. Thus one law loops around the other, enabling my criminal butt to slip right under/over/around the pesky law that would have prevented me from purchasing a firearm (because I am a criminal who inexplicably obeys this particular law)."

I see a loophole as a way of avoiding one law by exploiting the phrasing of another. Criminals selling stolen guns to criminals is not a loophole, it's just a crime.

However the logic fails when the same jagoff just goes to Magoo's (is Magoo's even still there on 42nd?) and asks for the guy with a trunk full of stolen pistols. I don't see the new laws as keeping guns out of the hands of criminals, but rather keeping me from inadvertently selling a gun to a criminal.

I understand what you're saying and I really don't mean to argue, but I do have to take exception to the use of the word loophole.

A loophole would be taking advantage of wording to get around a law, but in this case personal sales were never previously regulated, so there's no loophole. It's kind of like saying freedom of speech is a loophole.

The term "Gunshow Loophole," as it is used by anti-2A politicians, might as well be "Boogeyman." Both concepts are wholly fabricated, intended only to frighten naïve children.

Sadly, even if a million libtard pollsters in Portland and Seattle were hip to the fact that the imaginary loophole is complete BS (as are the pandering vote-whore political hacks who know it too but chant it like a mantra), they'd vote for more restrictions and bans anyway.

Last Edited:
... but rather keeping me from inadvertently selling a gun to a criminal.

Welcome back to the PNW ... I think (grin).

These background check requirements fail at this though. Bad guys have used straw buyers for decades, and continue to do so. There is no evidence this requirement has reduced firearm access to criminals and there never will be, as it does not.

What it does do is creates a government owned registration of firearm ownership, captures private information (addresses, fingerprints etc.) that is curtailed from gathering by other law (here is the loophole and it's exploited by the government) and creates higher costs, both in time and money, that is a further, incremental infringement of a civil right.

Please return, and hopefully bring another sane voter into the region!

However the logic fails when the same jagoff just goes to Magoo's (is Magoo's even still there on 42nd?)

Gosh, if you're asking about Magoo's on 42nd we may have been neighbors? That's my former hood. I was a regular when the place was nice. Lived a block away until '01 and now I'm 20 blocks away. The old Magoo's has been long gone since Joy's husband passed and she sold it. Who ever had it after that let it fall to "The Hood" and the hoodlums nearby. It closed and reopened as some pizza place. Don't know how that's working for them. The whole "42nd ave" is trying to be trendy while the hoodlums live in the shadows.

Best of luck coming back. I feel sorry for you if you're moving to Multco/PDX, Eugene, Salem, and other certain cities that have been filled with the far left that wants to run their lives and YOURS too.

Gosh, if you're asking about Magoo's on 42nd we may have been neighbors? That's my former hood. I was a regular when the place was nice. Lived a block away until '01 and now I'm 20 blocks away. The old Magoo's has been long gone since Joy's husband passed and she sold it. Who ever had it after that let it fall to "The Hood" and the hoodlums nearby. It closed and reopened as some pizza place. Don't know how that's working for them. The whole "42nd ave" is trying to be trendy while the hoodlums live in the shadows.

Best of luck coming back. I feel sorry for you if you're moving to Multco/PDX, Eugene, Salem, and other certain cities that have been filled with the far left that wants to run their lives and YOURS too.

Yeah, that's the Magoo's I'm talking about. I don't know what it was like back in 2001, but by 2005 it was pretty grimy in there. Had a reputation for being the place to go to buy an illegal pistol, drugs, or whatever else a bad guy could want, not to mention terrible service. I was born and raised in NE around there, and I'm moving back to the Portland area, although probably Jantzen Beach area or out HWY 30 towards Scappoose. All depends where I can get good liveaboard moorage for my sail boat. I can't really afford to live in my old neighborhood anymore, not that I'd want to. I can't tell which is worse, the old days of NE Portland when the Crips controlled the neighborhoods, or nowadays when the "creative professionals" run the town.

... Your comment about selling to a conceal carry license holder...does that actually speed up the process or is it just for peace of mind for the seller?

No "peace of mind" for the seller, as all transactions require the background check anyways.

Speeds up the proccess, in that you are near assured the CHL holder will pass the BGC. Plus CHL holders do get bumped up if there is a bunch of BGC's in process at the time of sale.

That all seems fairly reasonable to me...I won't say I don't miss meeting someone at the zoo parking lot to buy a pistol out of their trunk, however I could definitely see that old system being an easy way for a bad guy to get a gun with no BGC. As a law abiding citizen who can easily pass the check, I'm willing to take that hit to keep everyone just a little safer. Your comment about selling to a conceal carry license holder...does that actually speed up the process or is it just for peace of mind for the seller?

With your CHL you can get a return answer to the BGC fairly instantly. As you know, without the CHL you'll probably have to do the 10 day waiting period.

So, to answer your question, it speeds up the process.

You look at the gun and give the money to the seller. You both walk into the FFL. The FFL hands you paperwork to start filling out. The seller gives the firearm to the FFL. I'm sure the seller doesn't care what happens once they get the money in their hands. It's now you passing a background check to get the firearm from the FFL. As mentioned, a CHL will speed up the process of you getting it in your hands.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top