JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If you are driving the truck, keep the guns in the safe. Safe should be loaded first anyways so the weight is closer to the cab. So thieves would have to dig all the way to the front of the box to get to a locked safe.

I have moved cross country multiple times with ABF. Kept the safe filled, hired safe movers to load the safe in the semi-trailer at the same time the primary movers loaded the rest of my possessions into the trailer. within a half-day, all of my worldly possessions were loaded into a semi-trailer. Highly recommended.

May just be easier to mail them to yourself
From the ATF website :
Q: May I lawfully ship a firearm to myself in a different State?
A: Any person may ship a firearm to himself or herself in the care of another person in the State where he or she intends to hunt or engage in any other lawful activity. The package should be addressed to the owner "in the care of" the out-of-State resident. Upon reaching its destination, persons other than the owner must not open the package or take possession of the firearm.

NOTE: handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via common or contract carrier (UPS). That being said, according to a detailed article at pew pew tactical the major carriers have their own rules about delivering only to FFL's so the handguns should probably go with you or to an FFL in the state.

I have moved cross country multiple times with ABF. Kept the safe filled, hired safe movers to load the safe in the semi-trailer at the same time the primary movers loaded the rest of my possessions into the trailer. within a half-day, all of my worldly possessions were loaded into a semi-trailer. Highly recommended.

You trusted your safe and contents with a stranger? Let alone a moving company?

You trusted your safe and contents with a stranger? Let alone a moving company?

Dude if you are moving cross country, you are putting everything you own in the hands of a stranger. I've moved cross country about a half dozen times, never had anything get broken, never lost anything. So yeah I feel safe.

Dude if you are moving cross country, you are putting everything you own in the hands of a stranger. I've moved cross country about a half dozen times, never had anything get broken, never lost anything. So yeah I feel safe.

I get it but most stuff is just that. Stuff!! My guns if stolen or taken from a moving van if it is legal can or could be used in a criminal intent and if registered to me although most of my stuff is not. But none the less I would feel guilty that I did not do what was necessary to control what I could. Plus its the cost of replacement. Man if my couch gets jacked I could care less but my guns:confused: Thats a whole lot of begging to the wife to replace things she didn't know I had to begin with!:s0140:

Rent a motorhome/RV one way to AZ. and a tow dolly for one of your cars, put all guns in motorhome and sleep at truck stops. enjoy the sights on the way.

Well, I recently priced a POD for a household move 500 miles. Price was over $3000. And express prohibitions on anything explosive, ammunition, gas, propane, etc. Roll the dice if you want but the liability of a total loss AND being sued by PODs or maybe even breaking laws is simply not worth it... especially since - for MY move - rending a box truck and driving was 1/3rd the cost and not significantly more work.
That's crazy
I had a short POD and it was less than $1.5K for drop off and pickup from my house, 2 months storage and 750 mile delivery

Mail a rifle in today's shipping? Odds are pretty good they'd not all make it there, or make it there in one piece! And then there's the cost per gun!!! I ship a fair number of guns, and without including the cost of cases, packing, materials, etc., the average long gun costs $60 minimum, and more if it's worth over $1,000. Insurance is crazy, and collecting when they break it is almost impossible. And of course the occasional theft. Not to mention showing up at the shipping station with a bunch of guns all shipped at once! If that doesn't get 1 or 2 stolen I'm not sure what would.
Not an option for me.

As some of you may know the wife and I will be making a move to Arizona some time this year. Worst case will be in late October or early November.

My biggest concern is moving my guns and reloading equipment. I am going to start packing things up now but want to know how you guys that have moved longer distances transported your guns. I figured the safe would go into the moving truck but the guns somehow have to come with me. :confused:
We moved from Western Ohio to S. Oregon a year and a half ago. I .30 cal canned all my ammo, I lined my full size crew cabs floors and sub floor coolers with the ammo. Padded them with pillows and moving blankets and the Pyrenees traveled there.

I bought a larger diamond metal toolbox for the bed. Then I put two rifles in dble cases (5), and packed those in the toolbox. Since I wanted access to my handguns I got a multi tiered case for most of those and put that in the toolbox as well. Any odd rifles with unique cases went in last, Packed moving pads around them and double locked.

It worked out well, we stayed in Residence Inns as they allow pets and have kitchens. Be prepared for no reciprocity in California (Nevada for me too), but thats just unload your magazine, stow the firearm in back and the ammo upfront cased.

As you may know I am right in the midst of such a move. We left Hillsboro on 2/12 and are enjoying a short layover in Springville UT with my wife's oldest brother. We are scheduled to arrive in Apache Junction next Tuesday

My crewcab Ram has the fold-flat floor option in the second seat row. All my weapons are in their cases sitting vertically with ammo cans circling them on each side and the front. On top of that stack of gear is a dark colored blanket, some non-descript boxes, some spare pillows and a jacket or two + two suitcases when we are not overnighting somewhere.

Why the dark blanket? Well, my window tint + that blanket renders anything sitting on the black floor invisible.

The UHaul trailer is cable locked to the hitch, the door is double locked and when we overnight at a hotel I back it up against a fence even if it means I back up over a curb to go back far enough to block access to the door.

So I took my small armory with me. I wasn't going to leave those items with the moving company.

Honestly a really good question. It was my locks on the semi-trailer, so no one could access anything from the moment they leave with the trailer until its back in my possession at my new location.
There are no locks short of $500 ones that can't be picked in 2 minutes, and even some of them can be. And if they don't care if someone notices, a skinny wheel is a 20 second lock opener. Google YouTube Bosnian Bill or the Lock Picking Lawyer if you want all hopes of finding a good lock dashed. Bosnian Bill is the best videos.

There are no locks short of $500 ones that can't be picked in 2 minutes, and even some of them can be. And if they don't care if someone notices, a skinny wheel is a 20-second lock opener. Google YouTube Bosnian Bill or the Lock Picking Lawyer if you want all hopes of finding a good lock dashed. Bosnian Bill is the best video.

I think y'all are missing the point, this is a safe, 35ft deep inside of a fully-loaded semi-trailer. It would take hours of unloading to even expose the safe. But this is the joy of capitalism, everyone can choose to move cross country however fits their needs best.

My question is how do you protect the guns from damage? Wrap / case each one? My movers requested the safe be empty, one was Northwest Safe, although, they were storing it for a while.

Interesting timing! Just sold our Oregon home and bought in Arizona. Need to vacate Oregon by March 27. Found out from a professional moving company. I can lock guns in my safe and movers load locked gun safe. No access, no additional forms or reports. For me, peace of mind. Unable to drive straight through. Couldn't sleep in motel at night with guns in truck, under camper shell or in locked rental trailer. Freight on safe is significant. However, treasures will be secured. Have some treasure. Once upon a time during a move had a U-Haul truck broken in to. Was moving from rural community to big city. Spent the night in motel along the outskirts of Ft Worth, Tx. Thieves cut the lock and took a powerhead for vacuum cleaner. Just the power head. No use without the vacuum. And sadly, a trophy class Wyoming antelope, head mount. Still baffled what city thieves were going to do with the trophy mount? Bet they didn't even know what they had!

My question is how do you protect the guns from damage? Wrap / case each one? My movers requested the safe be empty, one was Northwest Safe, although, they were storing it for a while.

I'd case each one in either a hard case, or very good padded case. Anything less is welcoming possible damage.

Interesting timing! Just sold our Oregon home and bought in Arizona. Need to vacate Oregon by March 27. Found out from a professional moving company. I can lock guns in my safe and movers load locked gun safe. No access, no additional forms or reports. For me, peace of mind. Unable to drive straight through. Couldn't sleep in motel at night with guns in truck, under camper shell or in locked rental trailer. Freight on safe is significant. However, treasures will be secured. Have some treasure. Once upon a time during a move had a U-Haul truck broken in to. Was moving from rural community to big city. Spent the night in motel along the outskirts of Ft Worth, Tx. Thieves cut the lock and took a powerhead for vacuum cleaner. Just the power head. No use without the vacuum. And sadly, a trophy class Wyoming antelope, head mount. Still baffled what city thieves were going to do with the trophy mount? Bet they didn't even know what they had!

What moving company are you using? Are the guns going to be insured?

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top